Frayed Knights: New Price, New Questions

RampantCoyote

Keeper of the Watch
Okay, folks -

First off, Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon has had a permanent price reduction. Although I figure at least the regulars around here (or who bother to check the indie RPG forum) either already have it, or aren't interested. But hey, for what it's worth...

Secondly - I'm trying a little greenlight surge. Based on my progress (and total lack of effort), I'd guess at this point I'm going to get into the top 100 right about the time they kill the program (later this year?), but a big ol' push could really help. So if you have a Steam account, and haven't voted already, I could really use the help.

Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon on Greenlight!

Finally - a new question. An enhancement for the sequel that I've kinda back-burnered for a while has brought itself up to a more reasonable possibility - partially voiced dialogue. Doing full voicing of all dialogue would cost my entire budget times three, so that's out of the question (and it also doesn't play well with the way I write & design, which is more iterative changes late into testing). But --- what about partially voicing dialogues?

The model for this would be the Baldur's Gate games, where only a character's first line or so was voiced, or a signature phrase. Of course, FK doesn't do this, as characters rarely have big monologues. But there are a bunch of creative RPG lovers here, so I thought I'd ask:

#1 - Would this be a good thing? Or would having a real voice for Chloe screw up the one you've got in your mind?

#2 - Is it worth it to just do partially voiced dialogues? Do you feel more like it should be all-or-nothing? Even partially voiced dialogue will consume a big chunk of the budget that could be going to other things (more models, better animations, more music, etc.), so I need to be careful here.

#3 - For veterans of Frayed Knights - can you think of a good way to implement partially voiced dialogues in a way that wouldn't be confusing or distracting?

The model for this would be the Baldur's Gate games, where only a character's first line or so was voiced, or a signature phrase.

I am against this.

I think it's best to have some dialogs fully voiced, important ones and those you are particularly proud of.Also I think it's better to have no voice acting than bad one.

And one question, any chance for FK 2 GoG release?

So you'd like to have important dialogs voiced, and others be completely silent?

And yes, I'm hoping to do a much better job this time around and get FK2 released everywhere I can. While sales of FK1 did drop off since I went DRM-free, I don't think that was due to piracy. :) I'm seriously considering releasing it without any kind of license key on day 1.

And I'm still getting FK1 into a few new venues...

Greenlight vote cast. Played the demo a while back and loved the game. Haven't had much gaming time available in recent months so I never got around to making the purchase. Hopefully Steam gets on the stick and I'll lock the game in.

edit- I agree with nameless on the voiceovers, BTW-- Full voice for important passages, some good character barks, and dead silence for the rest.

Last edited:
Drakensang 1 had only the first few lines of an dialog voiced - and people were constantly asking whether it was a bug or so - they seemingly had expected *full* voiceovers ...

Think a price drop is good for new blood, especially for getting some new votes for Steam.

I'm thinking, finish everything you want in the game first. Then if you have extra for the voice after your satisfied everywhere else.
What about a Narrator voice only, could you have a personality telling their story with the same mocking humor, such as The Bard's Tale? This way you would only have one actor/actress needed.

I'll send this to Blue's News to see if would post it.

I'm still at the suggestion-gathering stage, so I'm not quite ready for a poll. Again, anything I do with voice acting would impact schedule and budget. I get contacted from time to time by people in the industry who really want to be involved, and are willing to give an indie studio a break in order to make it happen - but that wouldn't make it easy or cheap, merely moves it into the realm of possibility.

It's been cool entertaining some of these possibilities, though. Reminds me why I love making indie games. That's important on those days where I feel I have to paddle so hard against the current...

Back
Top Bottom