Heretic Kingdoms - Reluctant Hero - Designer Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms (aka Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition) was a generally well-received indie action/RPG with some interesting twists and a strong story. With 3D People and iHobo now prototyping a second game in the same universe, Lead Designer Chris Bateman has written a Designer Diary for RPGWatch about approaching Heretic Kingdoms: Reluctant Hero from a different perspective, daring to try some original and unusual game mechanics.
The concept for Reluctant Hero has been kicking around the International Hobo offices for a while now. Why not make a cRPG about one person’s entire life? Why not give the player choices as to how they will live, and then let them go about living that life in whichever way they choose? At first glance, this sounds a bit like Fable, but although the two games may set off with similar goals, the games that result will be very distinct indeed. Our intention is to create a game which plays very differently to the typical cRPG, a game with less of a linear narrative and more freedom of choice.
The current design is quite different to Kult and with some novel ideas, this diary is worth a read for anyone interested in RPG design.

More information.

Very nice article ... I lok forward to the game! I bought Kult when it was available direct from them, and therefore had played and reviewed before the official US release and could cheerlead it a bit - I thouhgt it was a charming game, and hope that they keep some of that feeling while moving on to bigger and better things.

I like his creative approach to game design; whether it will work/sell, is another matter, but I, for one, am willing to support the attempt. I really enjoyed Kult, so I'm very hopeful for this experiment!!

Kult was a good quick playing, easy to learn cRPg and I liked it very much despite the fact that like most current RPG's, it could have been much more. This new idea is very innovative, but I would think a very difficult one to actuate. I praise iHobo for the courage to attempt to look at everything from a new and relatively unique perspective.

The concept of the player choosing between being a combat-oriented, traditional quest solver or a "pillar of the community" building a life as a family or trade-oriented person has me somewhat perplexed, however. I think we play games to escape real life not to mimic it.

It's possible, though, that the game could be seen as a combination of two separate genres--dungeon crawler and some sort of fantasy SIMM--and work the way the Spellforce games do, combining both experiences in one game.

All very interesting. Good news post!

I'm unsure of whether this sounds like a good idea or not. If skills are accumulating during the "3 years pass" stage, I'm going to hate it. I want to develop my skills personally, not be told by the game how they developed while I was in limbo. Also, the chapter selection is probably a waste of time. How many of you are going to play the 5 chapter game? Anyone? We'll all choose the maximum number of chapters to guarantee as much playtime as possible. IF the game is worthy, we might possibly play a smaller game at some later point in time. Another huge waste will be any lifestyles that aren't adventurer based. Who wants to play a tailor game, where all you do is make clothes? How about a baking game where you get to make new types of bread? How exciting...not! Now if you can become a tailor who sells to trading guilds and has to deal with nobles, merchants, trade caravans, thieves, etc. that might be kinda fun. I'll stick with a nice mage dude though, who wants to become the most powerful archmage to ever live :) I'm going to play fantasy-type characters, not a baker or tailor.

The concept of the player choosing between being a combat-oriented, traditional quest solver or a "pillar of the community" building a life as a family or trade-oriented person has me somewhat perplexed, however. I think we play games to escape real life not to mimic it.

When you look at the people who play the Sims games, and those who choose non-combat professions in MMO's, you can see that there is appeal for this sort of thing.

I'd only be interested if it were 'an alternate route' to destroy the enemy ;)

When you look at the people who play the Sims games, and those who choose non-combat professions in MMO's, you can see that there is appeal for this sort of thing.
Some appeal. Just a little. If 3D People executes the idea well, it could draw interest from both the gardening-game players and the watch-numbers-go-up crowd; you could enjoy one path and ignore all the others.

I'd only be interested if it were 'an alternate route' to destroy the enemy ;)

Well, it could be argued that playing simulations of real life is an escape from one's real life, where one has a lot less control and things are much more difficult to implement and perfect. Perhaps there is some role-playing going on there after all:)

I pretty much agree, tho, that I also would use it as a strategic element rather than an end in itself.

Well, it could be argued that playing simulations of real life is an escape from one's real life, where one has a lot less control and things are much more difficult to implement and perfect.
That is one thing I love in Animal Crossing for the DS ... if I could only keep up with the weeds ...

Yep, I'll avoid it like the plague if it's simulation/rpg. That's not a good mix IMHO. I want to be a hero, not John Doe :)

Reread the story concept.

I, for one, think this has brilliant possibilities. A very interesting approach. Easy to understand and play, but still very different from anything that's come before. Of course, I also think it will be nearly impossible to pull off without fatal flaws. But here's hoping! :)

I thought the first kult was boring and on top of that, it kept crahing whenever I wnet into dream mode.

The tinker, breadmaker, tavernkeeper thing and the chapter system might work well together. I'm not going to play 30 chapters as the local tailor, but I might try 4 just to see what the deal is. Likewise my girls might reverse that, playing 3 or 4 chapters as a sword wielder and spending hours and hours (and hours and hours) growing vegetables.

But it would be nice if it was dynamic somehow. What if you decide this character is more fun than the number of chapters you've chosen? I might decide half way through that I want to keep this one going longer. It would be nice to maybe have a slider at the chapters end where you could decide, "this guy sucks, lets go 20 years later and get to the endgame so I can start my mage..."

As to 'Kult: The first one'. I thought it was original. It ran fine for me (imported prior to US release). The ending was abrupt and had lots of text, if I recall. Sort of like Titian Quest in that if felt like the budget ran out rather then they finished. I liked the attunement system. One of my pet peeves in games is magic equipment keeps you from choosing based on looks or style, so the attunement thing kind of helped. Huh, maybe I should play a tailor! :biggrin:

This game concept is one I've wanted to see developed for as long as I've played RPG. It's a wonderful approach; the next logical step from open-ended combat games like Darklands (yes, I know it's old, but the game dynamics are excellent and the scope is huge).

I loved the first Kult.I enjoyed everything and i would like the second part to be the same but much much longer :D.Maybe new spells or something but almost same as first.

This game has been cancelled!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom