Rise of the Argonauts - Preview @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
"What RPG fans really want" seems to be the theme of Eurogamer's preview of Rise of the Argonauts, which features input from lead Charley Price. Here's the intro:
What do RPG fans want? Rise of the Argonauts' lead designer Charley Price believes they want a strong, customisable character with choices to make. And beyond that, it should be simple. Price says he's been busy "discarding the baggage of Dungeons & Dragons" for Argonauts - due out on PC, PS3 and 360 later this year - because it's laborious and repetitive. There's no juggling inventory items, no health or mana bars, no levelling up, XP or grind, and menus are few. This is a third-person action-RPG built on Unreal Engine 3. And Argonauts doesn't stop at reinterpreting the genre; it also wants to resurrect Ancient Greece.
They also have another piece with an excerpt from Charley, who claims gamers really want shorter play times:
"Every time someone invests 25 hours of their life into a game and then realises there's another 75 hours to go, they just can't stomach continuing and they walk away with a sour taste in their mouth - no matter how much fun they had with the game.
"They need to be doing something achievable with the end in sight; people's expectations are evolving for what they want to get from the experience," he added.
More information.

I'm like a flag in the wind on this one--first time I heard of it I thought it sounded interesting. Then I found out about the HUD-less thing and it started to seem like just another dumbed-down action title masquerading as an rpg. Then I read about picking your patron God, the skills and some of the story aspects, and that HUD-less was optional and I liked it again. But this piece is making me think that everything the devs are aiming at is a game I wouldn't like.

Especially that last quote. You only walk away from a game after 25 hours if the game itself is turning you off. I don't think anyone walks away after 25 hours of a really fun experience saying "Sheesh, why would I want to keep playing that?"

Last edited:
Short playing time => casual gaming.

I loved this comment "So, basically RPG fans don't want RPGs anymore, we want action games. Riiiiiight. Thanks Charley" by Nosrak.

I personally don't have much time these days and 20-40 hours fits me quite well but I don't think players get pissed off about a game they're really enjoying because there's more of it.

There are plenty of RPG tropes that need challenging but I'm finding these guys arrogant - or at least, the way they come across in the media. Don't tell me what I want - tell me why you made certain decisions and what you think the advantages are and let me decide.

Back
Top Bottom