Mass Effect - More DLC?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Joystiq reports that a documentary video included with a Platinum Hits release of Mass Effect includes comments by BioWare devs on a second piece of DLC. An arena, gambling and "lighter", more combat focused gameplay are discussed:
Roughly one quarter of the way through the documentary [...], Preston Watamaniuk says, "Things we're working on right now, for the Mass Effect universe next ... we had something in Mass Effect 1 that again, we weren't able to pull off just because we didn't have the time and we didn't think we'd be able to do it well enough, which was a fight club or an arena. So we're actually working on that for our next downloadable content piece and we're hoping it'll be really special."
Head over to watch the clip. What we don't know, of course, is how current the comments are.
More information.

After a more action-oriented Fallout 3 DLC experience, now Mass Effect will follow suit? Oh, can you just feel the heated discussion welling up? ;)

I liked the Bring Down The Sky DLC. Can we have more of that, but longer?

An arena in an RPG imagine that.

I was just thinking the other day how Mass Effect was the first RPG I have played in forever that didn't have an arena.

Last edited:
Fallout 3, no arena. Entire NWN series, no arena.

Fallout 3, no arena. Entire NWN series, no arena.

Except for the original campaign having one in the very first module. I only remember because, as a player not yet working for BioWare, I completely gamed the system and hit escape to ditch the conversation every time I failed to convince the fight-prep woman to remove the final enemy's buffs before teleporting me in.

Don't remember one in Shadows or Hordes, though.

I know how about an editor so we can fix ME like F3 is being fix, that would make an excellent DLC. :p

PW is right - there is an arena in the cellar at the inn in the Blacklake District (you need some sort of item to gain access to it).

Anyhow, I generally like arenas, if they are done well. Can't say I was too fond of the arena in Oblivion, since you could complete it at level 1, but other than that it's usually fun (the arena in Jade Empire is a good example).

I always wondered if it was conscious decision to make the dialogue and choices in ME be reasonable for a wider spectrum of opinions? it is definitely the only story-driven game that allowed me to make choices or choose dialogue that I felt fit the persona I tried to create for the character without also trying to force a certain moral and ethical philosophy down my throat.

Also, the human-soldier-girl character was especially well done in that her life-view was out of the hippy-fascist approval range and she wasn't supposed to be evil (unless her evilness went over my head). It's like someone in the entertainment industry wanted to make a normal, believable character for a change. It was weird.

If DA has also taken this road I might have to check it out. I know I won't be on board the "hardcore rpg" train, but I'm sure we have different criteria for what we call or consider a hardcore rpg.

im sure ashleys words roll of your tongue as well then "its not racism really...". and if by normal you mean elizabeth hasselback meets danica patrick than yeah she's your normal girl;) that said in some ways she was a refreshing character in that there's few games i've played that dealt with an obviously biggoted character. i'm all for games giving you all types of characters, and the opportunites to agree or rebuke them.

im sure ashleys words roll of your tongue as well then "its not racism really...". and if by normal you mean elizabeth hasselback meets danica patrick than yeah she's your normal girl;) that said in some ways she was a refreshing character in that there's few games i've played that dealt with an obviously biggoted character. i'm all for games giving you all types of characters, and the opportunites to agree or rebuke them.

It's not racism as racism was definite before it was turned into a synonym for bigotry. And we all have our bigotries, even if it is being bigoted against people whose bigotry we disagree with.

I'm part black and would never want my family to live in an all black neighborhood in the US. I live in a nice community that is mostly Indian. When I bring my older kid to the park to play (the one old enough to play) the Indian kids do not play with her because she is not Indian. Is that racism? Am I racist for liking Indians for their work ethic and desire for social stratification, while kind of hating them for making my daughter feel left out and like a piece of shit when their kids ignore her?

Ashley had a reason for her bigotry, if she wasn't bigoted her character would've seemed less believable to me. We all have our faults, and a human fault is that we tend to hold grudges against people or groups who we believe have done us wrong. Its qualified bigotry and we are all guilty of it. Some people hate all bullies because they were treated rough by bullies growing up, a lot of blacks are taught to hate all whites due to this and that, etc, etc.

i understand what your saying. however preduce based on the way people act, ie bullying, is not even close to the same as judging people for the way they look and collectively so. i agree we are all some what bigotted, but judging those whose personal actions you have not witnessed isn't biggotry its racism, and ashley disliked all the aliens on the ship because they weren't human. it wasn't even that she just hated one race. to me thats the most extreme form of racism, or xenophobia whatever that is akin to jingoism and why she may have made a good 'soldier' but why her career record was far from officer material.

she may have had a reason for her racism/bigotry--but reasons aren't excuses.

my biggest biggotry is against white ford trucks. i'm not joking when over the past half a dozen years 90% the ones i see are dick drivers to me or someone else.
sure we all have targets for are ire: but to me it seems leveling the frustratiion at inanimate things such as certain vehicles, corportations, or even a rival sports team to me is better than at a person, or group of people.

Did Ashley believe that Humans were superior to all other races? Or did she just not trust or like the other races? Not liking and thinking you are superior because of your race are two different things. Were the Humans the top dogs of the universe in ME? Or were they somewhat of an underclass(race)?
If they did not have true equality you could say they are being oppressed. Do you think you might feel different if Ashley was a black character in a game set in modern USA, and you switched out Aliens with whites? Would she still be a racist? Is it okay for a black person to mistrust and dislike whites if whites killed his or her parents?

And you can use always replace excuse with reason in any sentence. The excuse I gave for being late: the reason I gave for being late. An excuse is a reason. And a reason is an excuse if used as a noun, right? But not a verb or an idiom.

A rival sports team is a group of people as well. But I’ll stop nitpicking. I agree with what you say in general, but let me ask you this. Did and do jews have reasons to not like Nazi’s, blacks not like whites, women not like men, the fellowship not like Sauron’s forces, etc. There are plenty of great reasons and excuses for one group not to like another. Every character in a game being the perfect ideal hippy-fascist and the gam’s only good path as being hippy-fascist seems a little narrow-minded and exclusive. I’d rather play a game that is open-minded and inclusive, filled with character’s that are narrow-minded and exclusive.

I have seen in a TV documentary about apes that they are indeed fighting other groups.

This hints towards the possibility that racism is far more deeper in us than we want.

Back
Top Bottom