The Witcher 2 - Roundup #7, Solutions to Issues

Yes, yes. Thank you. At least buying a new computer these days is a $500 dollar ordeal instead of a $1000 + like it was back in the day. Maybe it's time..

Its still a nice looking game even on low, but if you can afford the CPU upgrade- sure! My AMD 2x 4400+ only allows me to play on low, inspite of a decent GPU.

I find The Witcher 2 to be a modern Ultima 8. It's an action game with several rpg trappings. Since there aren't 7 other Witcher games, the outcry over the action-y changes aren't as loud as they were for Pagan. The biggest difference between TW1 and 2 is that user skill is much more heavily required in the 2nd game. You must have good eyesight to see those little dull-orange flashes that tell you what buttons to press.

Anybody know if there is a way to increase the size or change the color of those stupid things? Why didn't they use bright white instead of dull-orange? I found the battle with the creature near the end of chapter one nearly impossible, because I have a hell of a time seeing that dull orange indicator. This game is just a little bit TOO action-y to become a favorite for me. It's fun, but I prefer combat to be more about character design, than human skill.

It's ok to suck at the game, but that doesn't mean it's a modern Ultima 8.

I'm not sure what you mean by stupid orange things? If you're talking about QTE indicators - then I had absolutely zero issues reading them, so I honestly don't know what could be wrong. Oh, they're not "dull" on my screen - but rather bright.

About combat, I think it's the perfect mixture of requiring human skill - but where smart character building and tactical approach to combat is equally vital.

I love when games are fair, as I consider TW2 to be. It kicks your ass at first, but once you learn the nuances and make the effort - it becomes very comfortable.

I suspect most people just aren't interested in putting forth the effort, which is understandable.

Immersion is a huge thing for me, and "being there" in combat - is a biggie in that way. For me, at least.

As long as my "cerebral" decisions make a big difference, I have nothing but good things to say about games requiring a measure of personal skill.

I am reading articles that suggest it may come out for 360? Does anyone know if this is true? That's the money saver right there if so.

I am reading articles that suggest it may come out for 360? Does anyone know if this is true? That's the money saver right there if so.

its not on xbox 360 yet but coming soon i think (may be 6 months to a year away?)

I'm not sure what you mean by stupid orange things? If you're talking about QTE indicators - then I had absolutely zero issues reading them, so I honestly don't know what could be wrong. Oh, they're not "dull" on my screen - but rather bright.
I had some QTE visibility difficulty in the specific fight mentioned, but only then. It could be a factor of the time of the day, but the orange glow was exactly the same colour and intensity as the HDR sunlight glows off various surfaces so it camouflaged in some angles.

It's an action game with several rpg trappings.
I am still looking for the RPG in it. Still early in the game though. So far, a long succession of mini-games and cut scenes.

This game is just a little bit TOO action-y to become a favorite for me. It's fun, but I prefer combat to be more about character design, than human skill.

I dont mind the skill based or unbased combat but I want multiple styles to be available. Still early but so far I have not been able to support various combat styles.

I don't think my aging old computer (8 years in august with my ATI 3650 card) can even play the game. However, I'm determined to buy the boxed version of the game when money rolls around again in 10 days or so. Just to show my support for a company that, to me, and imo, treats their customers right.

My reflexes are very slow, or somewhat slow, but as with the (very old) game Revenant, I hope that playing with a gamepad will help me play this game - when I get a computer that can actually play the game. As far as I know, the game can be controlled with an Xbox 360 controller (gamepad)...

I got the GOG copy. Haven't had any problems at all, but I'm not far into it. Still poking around Flotsam, visiting the brothel and whatnot. :p

Me too, kalniel. I've used the same types of hardware for over a decade. I have a Intel board, a nvidia graphics card, and a soundblaster sound card. Why? I'm used to tweaking those three items to get the best results. Familiarity breeds content.

Hmm... well I use an Intel board, an Nvidia graphics card, and a soundblaster sound card. Guess my pc just doesn't like me.

There was this one game I had that would CTD everytime it started, and finally figured out it was because I didn't have any manufacturer drivers installed for my Saitek keyboard! Is that bizarrre or what?

I will say there is a lot of content in Chapter 1, but I'm finding the same flaws in TW2 as I found in TW1. You'll spend a TON of time just running back and forth. Still no quick travel to sites you've visited in the past. Running really gets dull after a while. It's really great going from
the Troll
and back two or three times for instance.

That said, I've already played 3 Geralts through most of the first chapter. Trying to find what is most fun for me.

So far, I have found the game extremelly story driven, extremelly pacey. No breath in, no respite to settle the character in the gameworld. This PC only breaths, runs and meditates to carry out the resolution of the quests.

Developpers removed the few optional behaviours existing in TW1. My thought, so far, is that the plot is written according to ingame time, granted that a witcher does not need to sleep. PC arrives in location A, is given a rendez vous in the evening, has two or three quests to do in the meantime, goes to evening rendez-vous, is set new goals for the morning, which happens well as the rendez holds several mini games in it, enough to last until dawn. Move to morning rendez. Dealt with the subsequent matter and ready for a final confrontation with a beast. Once dealt with, no break, a companion appears and a jump to another quest line.

The character has no time off. Quests after quests and again quests. Very pacey. Very dynamic. And detrimental to RP.

Very likely a design decision by popular demand as players want something that goes fast, they dont want to waste time on petty activities. They want their PCs to matter all time.

Great adventure game with the story thought to exhibit the PC's features but so far, looking for the RPG in it.

Its still a nice looking game even on low, but if you can afford the CPU upgrade- sure! My AMD 2x 4400+ only allows me to play on low, inspite of a decent GPU.

My previous PC was an X2 4400+ and 4870, same as you. I carried the GPU over to the new build with an i7 950, and though I didn't try the old computer, I think it's clear the new CPU unleashes the 4870 :p

Back
Top Bottom