What are you reading?

Just finished Red country by Joe Abercrombie. I liked it a lot but i think his worst job compared to the other 5 books.

Finished Mafia Brotherhoods. It tells the history of how mafia came to be. I didn't expect one of the main themes to be sinister Freemasonic connections, bizarre rituals and the extent of the conspiracy. All in all a bleak, gloomy read.

the naked sun by asimov. I read the whole trilogy about twenty years ago, and I'm really enjoying it second time around.

Currently I'm reading Jeff Smith : Bone. That's a huge graphic novel (more than 1300p, actually it's a compilation of all the ones issued in this series) narrating the adventures of a bunch of really funny characters lost in a very odd fantasy world. It's very refreshing, fun and even poetic, at times, and the drawings are really nicely executed. An easy to read novel when you don"t want to think about too complex things but just to have a good time wandering in a universe that's a good reminder of the ones you've lurked in in so many roles playing games. A really nice entertainment.

Iain M. Banks' The Player of Games, his second novel set in the Culture universe. I'm about halfway through and it's an awesome read so far.

Easily my favourite of all his books, an incredible read.

[The Player of Games is] easily my favourite of all his books, an incredible read.
Indeed. I followed up with Use of Weapons. Good as well, but not my cup of tea as far as the plot structure is concerned. Having read the first 3 books set in the Culture universe so far, I'd rate them: The Player of Games > Consider Phlebas > Use of Weapons. Looking forward to reading more about the Minds in Excession, although that will have to wait.

Remembering my fondness of the Dune series (yes, all books), I wanted to try out some more from Frank Herbert. Ergo: Whipping Star. Fun and strange read. It's more along the lines of pulp Sci-Fi instead of the more philosophical Dune, but reading about the main alien and its truly alien language was awesome. Going to pick up The Dosadi Experiment next, the second book set in the ConSentient universe.

Mike: Kindle Paperwhite ordered. ;)
Expected day of delivery: early February. Yikes!

Mike: Kindle Paperwhite ordered. ;)
Expected day of delivery: early February. Yikes!

Wow ... heavy demand! I am honestly surprised, as analysts are saying that 2012 is well below 2011 in terms of ereader sales and Barnes & Noble had a crappy holiday ...

I just finished 'Oh Myyy' by George Takei ... funny and light reading. Now to decide what comes next ...

Remembering my fondness of the Dune series (yes, all books), I wanted to try out some more from Frank Herbert. Ergo: Whipping Star. Fun and strange read. It's more along the lines of pulp Sci-Fi instead of the more philosophical Dune, but reading about the main alien and its truly alien language was awesome. Going to pick up The Dosadi Experiment next, the second book set in the ConSentient universe.

I definitely wouldn't bother with his son's ghostwritten milking of the franchise just in case you were considering it. I didn't mind the other books in the dune series but nothing gets close to the original, what a fantastic novel.

I definitely wouldn't bother with his son's ghostwritten milking of the franchise just in case you were considering it. I didn't mind the other books in the dune series but nothing gets close to the original, what a fantastic novel.
Nope, not considering. While I liked all 6 books and was bothered by the cliffhanger ending, I'm very careful with varying authors. The only such continuation of any stories I've read, which I also happened to enjoy very much, is the Wheel of Time finale.

And incidentally the very final WoT book is coming out tomorrow, A Memory of Light. I'm very tempted and would lay aside all other novels on my list for this one, but alas, only the hardcover version is scheduled for release, the E-Book version gets a 3 or 4 months delay … What a pity!

By accident I bought The Third Reich: A Chronicle. I was burnt out on 2nd WW, the book seemed light and there were no reviews on the covers, so I didn't expect much. However, the author is really, really neutral, to the extent that the book is a goldmine of information. There's also a large number of quotes and documents. This is one of the few books on the period that I have that doesn't have a variation of "There were 2 tyrannical monster states..." at the back cover.

Could someone please name books similar to 2001 A Space Odyssey? In know Arthur C. Clarke has a theme with aliens and I plan on reading other books written by him, but except that…?

edit: I am reading Murakami's 1Q84. Great book.

'rendevouz with rama' by him is great also. have you read 'gateway' by frederick pohl? also the first sequel 'beyond the blue event horizon' is good.

I started reading 'Return From The Stars' by Stanislaw Lem, but it is a bit dry and I am drifting ... I have a huge backlog, and can't decide what to do ...

- Stick with Lem
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- We Are What We Pretend to Be - just published 'early and late' Vonnegut
- The Signal & The Noise - Nate Silver
- Paladin Prophecy - Mark Frost
... and other stuff

Any thoughts?

Like txa1265 I have a huge backlog. Currently reading?
Edurance by Jay Lake - sequel to Green solid fantasy
Backlog? (about 40 books:-/)
Towards top?
Antfragile - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The Japanese South Polar Expedition - Sirashe expedition supporters
Telegraph Avenue - Michael Chabon
The Signal & hre Noise - Nate Silver

read recently I thought was good?
Brittle Innings - Michael Bishop baseball focussed brilliant fantasy
Why the West Rules, For Now - Ian Morris
The Fractal Prince - Hannu Rajaniemi (very hard SF second book in series)

Last edited:
just finished Anna Karenina (the book; not the movie) and I have to say if you ever struggled with faith believing you couldn't possibly believe because you knew too much the story of Konstan Levin (like Tostoy himself) is a real eye opener. I wish I read it 20 years ago.

Nope, not considering. While I liked all 6 books and was bothered by the cliffhanger ending, I'm very careful with varying authors. The only such continuation of any stories I've read, which I also happened to enjoy very much, is the Wheel of Time finale.

And incidentally the very final WoT book is coming out tomorrow, A Memory of Light. I'm very tempted and would lay aside all other novels on my list for this one, but alas, only the hardcover version is scheduled for release, the E-Book version gets a 3 or 4 months delay … What a pity!

thanks for letting me know. I jsut bought it. The last time I checked it was due in March even though it was finished (but unedited) a year ago. Its not getting great reviews.

By accident I bought The Third Reich: A Chronicle. I was burnt out on 2nd WW, the book seemed light and there were no reviews on the covers, so I didn't expect much. However, the author is really, really neutral, to the extent that the book is a goldmine of information. There's also a large number of quotes and documents. This is one of the few books on the period that I have that doesn't have a variation of "There were 2 tyrannical monster states…" at the back cover.

I've been discovering a few things that the popular or official history seems to cover or gloss over: a) a recent reveal shows the Soviets didn't just give up Stalingrad like Kutuzov gave up Moscow; b) when it says that bombers dropped their bombs early, it was usually on purpose.

Just started Cosm by Gregory Benford, fascinating story!

I've read just one of his, the Foundation story he was commissioned. S'pose I should read that time book of his sometime.

Back
Top Bottom