The weird thing about Star Wars

Maybe - but Vader was the first.

On a Star Wars Convention Mr. Prowse (the actor) once replied to me question on his very first impüression on the costume that he found Vader rather "insect-like". I have these words still in my memory like it had been yesterday.

Besides, the costume partly looks like a Samurai. And there were other versions prior to that.

I think the first star wars films are such a great package especially considering the time it came out. The music is just fantastic, and he managed to make a universe that works. I think that's the biggest thing.

When you see people arguing whatever you can parry shots from 9 different directions with a light-saber, you realize just how immersed they become in the universe.

They also found some really good actors which makes the roles believable and so on. I don't think the story of the original star wars movies is that bad either.

As for the new ones they were going to be cliché and fans were going to be disappointing even if it would've been the best movies ever created.

As for the new ones they were going to be cliché and fans were going to be disappointing even if it would've been the best movies ever created.

No, I don't agree with that at all.

I was quite ready to be engaged and happy with pretty much anything Star Wars. All the three prequels have great elements - and something like the Darth Maul lightsaber fight is perhaps the single best thing in all of Star Wars.

But they're so shock full of horrid plot structures, acting, characters, and on and on. So, so bad.

Maybe the die-hard fans wouldn't be happy with anything, but I don't think it would have been impossible to satisfy the majority. All they had to do was ignore Lucas for 95% of his input ;)

Well, I don't think ignoring Lucas would've done it...... but I agree with you that they are far from good. It helps that one of my favorite actors is Padme though.

Maybe the die-hard fans wouldn't be happy with anything, but I don't think it would have been impossible to satisfy the majority. All they had to do was ignore Lucas for 95% of his input

There thinking was probably that the die hard fans wouldn't be happy with anything anyway so they might as well cash in. Still the story was pretty much set already, they just choose a not so good way to tell it.

There thinking was probably that the die hard fans wouldn't be happy with anything anyway so they might as well cash in. Still the story was pretty much set already, they just choose a not so good way to tell it.

Well, had it been a standard Hollywood thing I would agree.

But Lucas is "independent" and has full control. I actually think he did the movies to the best of his ability - even though he's fat and powerful enough not to care all that much.

But I think we got as true a vision of his as was possible given the means.

That's the really sad part.

Especially for one such as myself, as I'm always preaching the dangers of capitalism and corporate control. Here we have a person in as full control of his vision as is possible, and the result is total manure.

No, I don't agree with that at all.

You don't know the fans.

I do.

The PT movies have created kind of a schism among fans : Those who still love the OT and don't like the PT - and those who like both.

But there is an even greater schism between those who like the "Expanded Universe" and those who don't.

What most fans agree upon is that Clones are just cool. Full stop.

And there are quite a lot of haters of Jar Jar out there, too. Another Schism. ;)

No Wii controls necessary. You look much better without controls :p.

Oh, snap! Time for a kinect dance-off! Don't leave Han hustlin' solo...

Well, had it been a standard Hollywood thing I would agree.

But Lucas is "independent" and has full control. I actually think he did the movies to the best of his ability - even though he's fat and powerful enough not to care all that much.

But I think we got as true a vision of his as was possible given the means.

That's the really sad part.

Especially for one such as myself, as I'm always preaching the dangers of capitalism and corporate control. Here we have a person in as full control of his vision as is possible, and the result is total manure.

While you might think so, this is a very subjective thing. Most movies in the world don't even reach this point of earnings, so some (read: a lot) of people must have liked it.
Box office:
1 I: The Phantom Menace $1,026,116,193
2 III: Revenge of the Sith $848,754,768
3 II: Attack of the Clones $649,398,328

GL is independent because of the merchandise. I think that's where the *real* money comes from.

Last edited:
While you might think so, this is a very subjective thing. Most movies in the world don't even reach this point of earnings, so some (read: a lot) of people must have liked it.
Box office:

Are you going to start that lame age-old argument that sales equal quality?

Box office:

Are you saying you've never paid to see a movie you didn't like?

At least not twice, I assume.

Are you going to start that lame age-old argument that sales equal quality?

Are you saying you've never paid to see a movie you didn't like?

Nope and nope.

I'm saying that if people hadn't liked the Phantom Menace, they wouldn't have gone to watch Attack of The Clones, and if they didn't like either, they certainly wouldn't have gone to watch Return of the Sith.

Like Alrik said:
At least not twice, I assume.

You have to be terribly stupid to go to the cinema to go and watch a sequel to a sequel to a movie you didn't like and hated its sequel too and then expect to like number 3.

I understand that for the Phantom Menace, there was this big hype on oh let's go and see the new Star Wars, but if you didn't like it and decided to give number 2 a chance and still didn't like it, why the hell would you go and watch number 3?

No, I'm just calling those people who did that stupid.
:biggrin:

I'm pretty stupid, because I kept hoping they would get better. I had a very hard time accepting that Lucas was THAT bad a writer/director.

However, I get it now :)

Back
Top Bottom