KoA: Reckoning - Preview Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's the first full batch of previews and videos expected on Reckoning (thanks to various posters on the 38 Studios forums for many of these).
We'll start with GameInformer, who have a massive 50 min video gameplay preview with Ian 'Tiberius' Frazier. The quality of the actual video is poor but you get to see plenty of the game.
Sticking with videos for a bit, G4TV has a series of shorter trailers:
GameSpot also has a video preview.
Some press previews:
A snip from RPGamer:
I passed through the forested areas of Dalentarth into the vast Plains of Erathell. I found the desert plains filled with bands of raiders and abandoned caravans, a huge island city with lots of merchants and quests, and beautiful areas with waterfalls that were just enjoyable to view. I was avoiding combat as often as possible, though in one of my encounters I did happen upon a piece of an armor set. It was a helmet that boosted my elemental abilities and finding the rest of the set would have added even more. A carrot that kept me looking for more pieces to complete the set.
My exploration came to an end in the Southeast corner of the map in an area called Detrye. It is a dusty, rocky region where I encountered many more beasts that I had not seen before. Without going into too much detail, it seems as if this area is meant for much later in the game than where I was in the story. During a talk with Ian Frazier, he stated that the game's main story will have players zigzagging across the map, though touching every area for at least a brief stop. Despite trying to see as much as I could, it turns out that I'd only seen less than a quarter of the world, and only small portions of those areas. There was even a whole other continent to the east that I'd not found access to yet. For anyone that likes exploring, this game will keep you busy for a long time.
More information.

Getting more optimistic about this game. Especially when I realized that Ian Frazier is the same guy who lead the Ultima V lazarus project, which I really loved.

Looks awesome. I'm in. Day one purchase for me

This new info is just amazing!

It seems that we will get really good RPG, both story wise and combat. Somewhere I read that there are more than 100 books in game to read. It will be lore heavy.

And a big + for me is that main character is NOT voiced!!

it is day 1 purchase for me. CE for sure. And if the game really lives up to my expectation I will support whatever next comes from their studio.

Watched the 50 min vid.

The skill/ability/spell screens looked promising as there seems to be a lot to choose from, including a solid amount of non-combat stuff.
After that it went rather downhill.

Art direction is just bland.
The general world design can´t get more uninspired than what the exterior footage and the world map hint at. It seems like the whole world is arbitrarily divided into about 20 small-ish open areas connected to each other via corridors in even less organic manner than in ArcaniA.
Though there is swimming in the game, apparently jumping is only possible via hot spots which, if it is indeed the case, is a major fail for a game with supposedly Oblivion-like amount of freedom.
Despite the omnipresent vibrant color tones, the world felt rather lifeless, just full of loot-spots.
Quests and writing in what was shown seemed generic, though given the small amount I´ll reserve my judgement.
Wtf was that additional xp bonus for mashing button during a finisher?
Some of the skills seemed quite inconsequential - for example, the guy who played it dispelled an averagely difficult ward on a chest without a single point in ward dispelling on his first try.

Anyway, seems like character building might be interesting, but some of the other aspects still leave me unenthusiastic about this game.

Last edited:
This new info is just amazing!

It seems that we will get really good RPG, both story wise and combat. Somewhere I read that there are more than 100 books in game to read. It will be lore heavy.

And a big + for me is that main character is NOT voiced!!

it is day 1 purchase for me. CE for sure. And if the game really lives up to my expectation I will support whatever next comes from their studio.

There's actually over 300 books and scrolls in the game to read, as confirmed by the lead designer.

I have stated in a few post about this game:
I don't like the way the graphics look that much.
The combat though I haven't tried it doesn't seem to be what I like that much either.
But I can't wait to play this game...the lore, the 180 dungens, the story line(lines)
It just seems to be what the RPG needed...

I have stated in a few post about this game:
I don't like the way the graphics look that much.
The combat though I haven't tried it doesn't seem to be what I like that much either.
But I can't wait to play this game…the lore, the 180 dungens, the story line(lines)
It just seems to be what the RPG needed…

128 dungeons.

There's actually over 300 books and scrolls in the game to read, as confirmed by the lead designer.
Fluent, thx for pointing that out :)

As I already posted R.A. Salvatore was making this world for 5 years and I am sure we will have great story and storytelling here :) really looking forward for this game.

Maybe it will be like Betrayal at Korndor was - "game that felt like a book" :)

Don't like that they say you're gonna be "awesome" within a few minutes of playing, you'll get to wear awesome gear, use poweful spells etc. Are people that impatient?

I'm getting the impression that this is TES, for derps.

Back
Top Bottom