nVidia holds 82% of desktops

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...are-hits-highest-level-ever-mercury-research/

47105_06_amds-gpu-market-share-drops-again-even-release-fury_full.png

In my opinion, this is horrible news.
If GPU market gets monopolized by nVidia, we're screwed. They'll just slow the evolution and prices will skyrocket.
The huge problem is that it's not nVidia's fault really… It's AMD that seem can't stop thinking about bloody consoles and designing crap for those kindergarden toys instead of doing the proper card construction ment for PCs. I wish they never bought Ati.

Seems we need a third player at the GPU market, as soon as possible. Matrox?

I believe nvidia already bought 3dfx a while back. Anyway while I didn't know or care about the exact Numbers I thought it was common knowledge that nvidia leads AMD by a good margin just as Intel leads them in CPUs.

The real travesty is the majority of pcs have horrible integrated Intel graphics and the average PC owner probably doesn't know the difference between Intel, nvidia or amd.

Not sure how realistic it is to actually get a new player.

I mean you can make a good game without having good technology.
But I don't see how you can get from 0 up to a level where you can compete with Nvidia.

I guess it's more likely that Intel becomes a competitor, especially with their new Memory technology which might help in Graphics Cards as well and might even out other shortcomings.

The real question is how come AMD is still in business? As far as PC are concerned Intel and Nvidia are wiping them they must be in other areas too like consoles?

PS4 as well as XBox One are using AMD Cards, so they are getting some money that way.

That is sad exactly as Joxer says - limited competition means limited innovation. And actually I feel like we're already seeing it ...

In my opinion, this is horrible news.
If GPU market gets monopolized by nVidia, we're screwed. They'll just slow the evolution and prices will skyrocket.

Like with Intel ? Like with Microsoft ? - Well, except Windows 8, maybe ... :D

Like with Intel ? Like with Microsoft ? - Well, except Windows 8, maybe … :D

Yes to both - when you look at the rate of advancement in times of heavy vs. light competition you see a very different pace.

Intel are already doing quite good onboard graphics cards, so it would not be all that surprising if they decided to venture out into the realm of full on high end graphics cards at some point. They do have the resources for it.

The real question is how come AMD is still in business? As far as PC are concerned Intel and Nvidia are wiping them they must be in other areas too like consoles?

Currently AMD seem to actually be beating Nvidia in raw performance with their mid-range cards (~200€), so they are not out of the game. The problem that AMD/ATI are having is that their cards are really power thirsty, so you need a considerably more powerful PSU. Time will tell if Nvidias new "Pascal" architecture will put them on top again. All indications seem to be pointing that way.

And in regards to AMD/ATI doing console hardware, that should if anything help them solve the big problems that their cards currently have: They draw too much powers and generate too much heat. If they are doing console hardware, they really should have fixed that by now.

Another possibilty is Apple, who apparently desire to take control of their own proprietary hardware again. That would most likely knock AMD out of the PC space, though, which can't be a good thing.

Another possibilty is Apple, who apparently desire to take control of their own proprietary hardware again. That would most likely knock AMD out of the PC space, though, which can't be a good thing.

But Apple has no desire to sell plug-in cards or GPUs to other people ... just to control what is available to their devices, so that the latest A9x can outpace a Core i5 in the Surface Pro 3 or even the latest Intel Core M in their own 12" Macbook ...

But Apple has no desire to sell plug-in cards or GPUs to other people … just to control what is available to their devices, so that the latest A9x can outpace a Core i5 in the Surface Pro 3 or even the latest Intel Core M in their own 12" Macbook …

Apple currently relies upon Samsung for its mobile CPUs, which it doesn't like. There are also reports that Apple will be switching to AMD for its next generation of macbooks.

I'm not saying it's any more than speculation, but there are reasons why Apple might want AMDs IP.

Apple currently relies upon Samsung for its mobile CPUs, which it doesn't like. There are also reports that Apple will be switching to AMD for its next generation of macbooks.

I'm not saying it's any more than speculation, but there are reasons why Apple might want AMDs IP.

I understand what you are saying, but I guess don't see it. Apple has two main areas of operation:
- Laptops - where they use Intel CPUs
- Phone/Tablet - where they design their own and contract production ... currently to Samsung.

AMD doesn't really have much to offer in either area - the Apple/Intel thing seems quite fortuitous for both. Apple gets new CPUs before anyone else, and Intel gets the only vendor actually growing market share and pushing non-crap CPU/GPU at any volume (remember that PCs are dominated by sub-$750 crap-laptops).

And in the mobile arena, what Apple needs is for someone like TSMC or UMC to get their crap together to be able to hit high yields at scale for these builds ... but until then, things with Samsung will have to do.

And interestingly, since Samsung is passing 2 straight years of steady profit and market share declines, they really need to keep the relationship with Apple solid.

I understand what you are saying, but I guess don't see it. Apple has two main areas of operation:
- Laptops - where they use Intel CPUs
- Phone/Tablet - where they design their own and contract production … currently to Samsung.

AMD doesn't really have much to offer in either area - the Apple/Intel thing seems quite fortuitous for both. Apple gets new CPUs before anyone else, and Intel gets the only vendor actually growing market share and pushing non-crap CPU/GPU at any volume (remember that PCs are dominated by sub-$750 crap-laptops).

And in the mobile arena, what Apple needs is for someone like TSMC or UMC to get their crap together to be able to hit high yields at scale for these builds … but until then, things with Samsung will have to do.

And interestingly, since Samsung is passing 2 straight years of steady profit and market share declines, they really need to keep the relationship with Apple solid.

Fair enough - not too much point debating pure speculation. I didn't pull the idea out of my exhaust, though - I've read a few industry reports on the idea, and the part that seems most solid is that Apple are looking to move away from Intel and towards ARM. The next gen macbook air is expected to use an A series chip, and the belief is that they want to migrate to their own CPU designs over the next couple of years. They will likely stick to Samsung to fabricate them for now, and AMD wouldn't help them there, since they rely on third party fabs, too.

On another note, some early tests on new AMD GPUs under DX12 are showing excellent performance. Since DX12 largely apes AMDs Mantle (as does Vulkan), it may be that AMDs cards were very much designed with these new methods in mind, and we haven't really seen what they're capable of under DX9 and 11.

Back
Top Bottom