Mouse 'grip' solutions and possible replacement recommendations

StackSmasher

Crazy UNIX guy
Do any of you suffer from 'mouse grip' issues? Meaning, specifically, your favorite mouse getting its upper surface worn smooth over time and feeling 'slick' and weird? How do you deal with it?

I like my mouse so much that I really hate to go out and buy a new one so I just applied a small layer of moulding rubber for traction. Kind of reminds me of 'grip tape' on skateboards...

What do you folks do when your mouse gets all slick and worn feeling?

I guess I'm getting ready to retire this Logitech MX 1000 and might look into a replacement gaming mouse. The Logitech G9 looks good, however I'm reserved about going back to a damned corded mouse.

I know we just had a mouse discussion so sorry if this is too much overlap...

Last edited:
hmm well my last mouse started having that problem but it broke afterwards so i just went and bought a new one... oh well

btw I use cord mouse :D A4Tech X6-57D

not really for gaming but hey!

Yeah, it's really an odd question, most folks just buy a new one by the time their old mouse gets to that state :) Or, their mouse gets destroyed way before they can wear off the surface.

that's what happens when we do extensive gaming!!!

you do not want to know what we understand by extensive!!

omg... I got Corwin's !!....

We have a lot of good gaming mice in market now, both cheap and expensive (professional gaming mouse). Razer and Logitech also have regular priced model, and good enough for most gamers. Personally i use G5 Laser mouse - and no problem whatsoever so far. It has nice grip, adjustable weight and on the fly DPI selection. Hmm... sound like i'm doing advertising for Logitech...

If you really liked your mouse, you can always buy another one of the same kind. I loved the grip of the MX510 and I hate those cordless mice. I bought another one for the second pc, just because there was a cordless desktop.

Buy rubber and glue it on the bottom ?

I know, rubber shops are a rarity, but I know two of them, they're selling boots, hosepipes, everything made of rubber.

This a timely topic for me. I have an oldish Logitech laser Mouseman (not sure of the model as the bottom of the mouse where all that info lives is pretty much worn away), and it's taking a downturn. The wheel has lost a lot of responsiveness and lately the click accuracy is fading. So I've been looking at a replacement, to no avail.
What I love about this mouse is that it's a nice size, I have large hands and it's a larger mouse. And the buttons are located in such a way that my middle finger does not need to rest on the right button thus preventing accidental clicking.
All the mice I've looked at are so small! I've tried out a couple of different mice and my hand cramps up almost immediately, and the button layouts are terrible.

There are some mice closer to my needs but they're hideously expensive. I payed around $70 for my keyboard/mouse combo 4-5 years ago, and now that price for a mouse is a cheaper one.

Logitech doesn't seem to make this model anymore so I can't just get a replacement. Like Stack, I think the G9 looks good but I am not going back to corded mice. I'm loathe to replace my mouse, but I may have to soon and I haven't a clue what to get.

Well, I ended up giving in and ordering a Logitech G9 since Amazon has them for U.S. $59.99 with an additional $10.00 mail in rebate bringing the total down to U.S. $45.99. I'm currently playing around with various ways to make the cord less obtrusive, I hope I can learn to deal with it after being cord free for so many years...

For the record, moulding rubber sucks tail for replacing grip surface as it peels back very easy. The next time I have to deal with this situation, I think I'll try Alrik Fassbauer's advice and try to find some rubber strips to glue down...

In any event, this solution came about due to battery degredation in my MX 1000. The battery, which is *not* user serviceable, went from lasting for several weeks per charge to lasting only a few days.

Back
Top Bottom