World of Warcraft - New Expansion

Everquest isn't clunky at all if your system isn't 10 yrs old, and you aren't using dial-up. Most of the abilities per class don't even overlap, let alone duplicate. I know you weren't suggesting either, I'm clarifying =)

It honestly ran well for you? What computer did you have that runs it well?

I bought it when it came out and was very unhappy with the performance, but when I played it again recently with a much better computer it still feels really choppy - even on lowest settings.

I think the issue is they were designing the game to look good well into the future but they did this using old technology with shader model 1 and high polygon count assuming videocards would improve in a "raw power" sort of way, expecting GPUs to be 3GHZ, when they went another way with it keeping GPU cycles about the same while adding fidelity with fancy shader effects.

Now I'm not a tech person at all, but the one thing I've learned about the Everquest games over the years is that neither of them make any use whatsoever of multiple cores. I've always despised seeing multiple particle effects so in any game I play I immediately reduce those as far as I can, and minimizing things like that in EQ will certainly help computer performance. I believe most games will make use of multiple cores, as far as I know EQ does not, so making sure your core is decent will help a lot.

When I first started playing EQ2 I think I still had my laptop, which was by no means a stellar pc. Three years ago I got a real computer, and late last year I upped the RAM from 8 to 16, and added an SSD drive. Those two additions have made a huge change to anything I play, including Everquest.

When I first started playing EQ2 I think I still had my laptop, which was by no means a stellar pc. Three years ago I got a real computer, and late last year I upped the RAM from 8 to 16, and added an SSD drive. Those two additions have made a huge change to anything I play, including Everquest.

Yeah, I think I saw your Skyrim screenshots. New computer is a beast!

Back
Top Bottom