Which RPG has best combat system?

Razz

Watcher
Which game you think has the best combat system? I think Risen takes the trophy for this.At second place gothic 1,2,3 maybe.

The worst combat system has to be Dragon Age origins , you just have to select your attack type and thats it.Skyrim is just a hack and slash game.

Wizardry 6,7 and 8 and Jagged Alliance 2 - Sirtech rulez!

You mean action or action/strategy hybrid? Strategy/turn are a different beast entirely.
Altogether a very subjective term...like asking which has the best writing. I wouldn't say any PB game has, even at best, above decent combat.
And DaO wasn't that bad...KOTOR I was way, way worse.

Turnbased?
Fallout 2.

ATB (with pause)?
FF9.

ATB (without pause)?
Anachronox.

RTwP?
MassEffect series (no autopause, but pause with TAB or SPACE to issue commands).

RealTime (without pause)?
All of them are equally good. The question is are they RPGs at all since character depend on player's reflexes not character skills/abilities.

Best RPG combat? That's a loaded question and one linked to the player's preference in RPGs, there is no "good" answer here.

For example, I'm not a bit fan of twitch/action RPG combat, but if you asked me to choose I'll got for Severance:Blade of Darkness.

I prefer a lot more RTwP and TB combat in my RPGs. For RTwP, I prefer the older games (mostly D&D games), newer games are just too busy and focus too much on damage abilities. For TB, I'll have to give that to TOEE.

Ugh I didn't like Fallout combat. No control of your companions made for a real clusterfuck at times. And that GUI with long lists to scroll through. Tedious.

The reason I never replayed it with different builds. I really like the character system though (GURPS).

Last edited:
If I had to pick one combat system to be at the very top, it would be the one in Fallout two. If I could pick a second, it would be Wizardry eight. Those two games really got it right.

If I had to pick one combat system to be at the very top, it would be the one in Fallout two. If I could pick a second, it would be Wizardry eight. Those two games really got it right.

How was the system in FO2 different from FO1? And yeah.. the combat in Wiz 8 was awesome, even if it did get a little predictable towards the end.

Some of my favs:

Elminage Gothic
Baldur's Gate
Temple of Elemental Evil

Divinity: OS is the best modern one for me for turn based

I enjoyed BG2 for the wizard battles plus build variety that required different tactics. Best rtwp.

In terms of hack n' slash Diablo 2

MM6/MM7/MM8 has cheesy exploitable combat because of the real time/turn based aspects but has surprising depth and variety once you get into it.

I'm not sure if it's "the best", but I really enjoyed the combat system in Lord of Xulima. I loved how they managed to make a sword really different from a hammer or an axe. And I remember some pretty exciting and nail biting fights. Though combat could get repetitive towards the end there too.

I generally think of combat in FO1 and FO2 as being by far the weakest point of the game. But I guess it's one of those things everyone has different opinions on. At least fights in FO1 were usually over really quickly. FO2 fights could really drag on though.

Jeez, there's too many types. Last Remnant is fun for the bad luck you can get then recover from (and the good luck you can get then suddenly fail). Wiz 8 is definitely a fun one for the difficulty and the turn based thinking. Vampire: tM: Bloodlines for it's variety. Final Fantasy 7 is still my favorite FF-style combat. Dragon Age: Origins for the ultimate pause-on-space combat (you must have had your difficulty too low, Razz). Dragon's Dogma for boss fights. Divinity: Original Sin for use of the environment. (Dark Messiah of Might & Magic for use of the environment plus a boot. ;) Valkyria Chronicles for squad strategy. Mount & Blade for army strategy. Rollers of the Realm for the most unique combat system… well, OK, better stop there.

On the bad side: Final Fantasy 8 and Xenosaga 2, both for similar reasons. Namely, making you stand around in combat to build up for something as a matter of course.

P.S. Not an RPG but Rocksteady's Batman games for pretty melee combat (ok, not an RPG, but it really is something to behold).

Wizardry 8, Gothic 2, Dark Souls 2, Divinity:OS, Mass Effect 3

All excellent in what they seem to have been set to achieve.

Skyrim is just a hack and slash game.

If you play as hack and slash. As a stealthy archer/dagger assassin it's much better (and much more fun IMO), and one of the few I actually enjoy playing as a rogue.

I'd have to say the best combat system has been Divinity Original Sin, or XCOM if we're including that as an RPG.

Bonus points for Infinity Blade for making a combat system that works better on a tablet than any other platform.

Great action combat system, aka without any major flaws....none of them.
Vast majority of them fall into 4-8, solid-very good range, but not really close to quality of straight forward action games like Bayonetta or top tier fighting games.
Best:
Gore: Severance/Witcher III
Badass brutality: Severance
Enemy variety and design: Souls games
Bosses: most of them are at best decent, Souls have best ( but only a few out of bunch), Dogma second place, HoS&Blood and Wine third place
Visual abilities Design: Dogma, easily
Parry: Souls games( excluding horribly long I-framed clumsy animation sequence), probably Kingdom Come Deliverance will top this
Environment Interaction: Dark Messiah abilities/ Jedi movement
Abilities interaction: Dogma
Sound design: Witcher III, Dogma(magic), or anything Blizzard
Hit precision: Jedi Outcast/Academy
Evasive mechanics(dodge/roll/side step): Witcher III
Block mechanics: Mount and Blade
Archery: Mount and Blade first person, Dogma third person
"Organic" enemy scaling: Gothic II
Camera, UI: none of them

Back
Top Bottom