Katauri Interactive - Royal Quest Interview @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
If you follow gaming news elsewhere, you may have seen Katauri's (King's Bounty) next game is an MMO called Royal Quest. We won't be covering it but I thought I'd toss up this one interview frrom Rock, Paper, Shotgun before I go cry in a corner at the loss of a much-wished-for Space Rangers 3:
RPS: You’ve been very successful with single-player games. Why have you decided to make the move into MMOs at this time?
Dmitry Gusarov: We consider the future of games to be in the MMO genre. Actually, we have played online games a lot during recent years. And now the time has come to combine hobby and business.
RPS: What do you think Royal Quest will bring to MMOs that we haven’t seen before?
Dmitry Gusarov: What we can currently see on the MMO market is stagnation in terms of creativity. For many years people are playing the same games like WoW and Lineage II. As we can see there are no fast paced Diablo-style games at the moment and we want to bring this experience to the audience.
More information.

I cannot describe my dissappointment.
What a letdown.

Ohh, well after armoured princess I had enough of KB for awhile anyway.
Crossworlds for me. It was too little for the price IMHO.

I'm disappointed, in a way, that Katauri went down this path. Whilst the KB series isn't perfect, it has a charm about it that few non-European/Russian games have, and not to mention that in terms of bugs and stability, it beats recent efforts by some major developers easily.

There are some fast paced MMOs out, or at least coming out. Torchlight, as an example, is getting an MMO in the coming years. However, I think I'd be likely to check this out as I've found 1C and Katauri to work together really well in terms of polish and technical ability, so I would wager it'll be quite pleasing on the visual front.

EVERYONE is currently seeing the future in MMOs.

THAT's the problem, imho. There can only be so much players.

Ah, what a shame. I really enjoyed King's Bounty - The Legend, and I sort of hoped Katauri would developing more of these "modern games with an older-school mentality".

I wonder what all these developers are trying to achieve by making MMO's these days. Some accuse them of trying to make money, but nearly every other MMO since WoW has failed to be either profitable or innovative. I would have guessed nobody would have dared to make another MMO by 2008, but it appears some developers still look at Blizzard and want a piece of the pie as well.

Shame :sniff:

and I sort of hoped Katauri would developing more of these "modern games with an older-school mentality".

You hit the nail on the top of what I had thought as well.

In my "reputation-meter" Katauri went up a lot, just because of ... how you describe it as "modern games with older-school mentality" (a near-perfect wording in my opinion, by the way :) ).

Back
Top Bottom