Avadon - Joins Humble Bundle, Android Compatible

The problem with most open source standards, is that the lowest common denominator isn't enough to insure compatibility across all platforms. Each manufacturer wants to be unconstrained in certain areas that he thinks he can excel in the market. Once you add all the un-constraints from all the players you get a standard that doesn't accomplish nearly as much as it should. It is effectively a broken standard, sadly.

Last edited:
I don't think he was talking about the hardware, but I could be wrong.

Oh, I knew exactly what he was talking about ... but since he was a first-poster to troll the thread, I was just playing around.

The notion that 'open source' is even remotely associated with Android success is on its face so absurd that I am surprised that reasonably intelligent people even contemplate it. Because you can't have that thought without the associated Linux thought ...

Android is a huge success because the same people making the cheap flip/slider/whatever phones 5 years ago shifted to making cheap flip/slider/whatever smartphones using the only modern OS available to them. Android is a great OS, one I use daily ... but no company/product/OS is unassailable, and while I have no doubt Android will end the year as #1 market share - I wouldn't be surprised if the Nokia 900 enters the top 10 in device sales.

I really don't care for most open-source software. I find it to be:

1) always in a state of development
2) poorly documented
3) difficult to find support for unique problems.

I tried ubuntu out once. The OS loaded ok, but I could not get my wireless NIC to function. I spent days trying to track down a solution. The advice I got on the ubuntu forms generally didn't help. The only one that did help was a guy suggesting figuring out which check was in the USB stick, finding the source code and manually compiling a driver myself. No thanks. Best quote I read on Limux was 'Linux is only free if you don't value your time'

In general, I like my android phone (Samsung Galaxy). But the phone isn't even a year old and I think three versions of android have been released since (I believe it runs 2.2). That's ridiculous. Linux releases are the same way. It also seems to restart every once in a while for no reason at all. My brother put it best, he said that when I got it I would love it because it was so much better than anything I had ever had before (blackberry and then non-smart phones before that), but slowly the problems with android would bug me more and more.

I'm still not willing to switch to apple due to their draconian policies, but if Google managed this thing better, they'd have a much better product.

Back
Top Bottom