NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer - Review @ Sorcerer's Place

Dhruin

SasqWatch
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer has been reviewed at Sorcerer's Place. There's no score as usual for them and the text reads highly positive for the story but frustration with some other elements:
Despite the definite playability of the original campaign in Neverwinter Nights 2, no-one could truly accuse the game designers of exhausting the barrel of original ideas. I mean, the bad guy at the end was a truly excellent depiction of evil and eventual Armageddon, but the entire lead-up to your encounter with him is something of a “same-old” dungeon crawl. So imagine my delight when I found out that the story of the expansion is decidedly better in almost every way. The game's ending was completely unexpected, right up until the designated moment where the game designers wanted you to go “aah!”. In a lot of games, you tend to find that a good half of the quests have little, if anything to do with the main quest, and most of your time is spent wondering why on earth your PC would be doing such a thing during a time of obvious need for haste. While I occasionally found myself mildly confused trying to follow several different threads of the story at once, they all came together brilliantly at the end.
More information.

Pretty strange review, doesn't do this great game justice imho.

Complaining about easy combat in MotB and then saying you can replay the NWN 2 OC for a challenge? I mean come on, NWN 2's combat is as easy and challengeless as its gets. And while MotB still isn't to be considered a difficult game when it comes to combat, at least it improves a bit upon NWN 2, mainly by introducing a more limiting resting system (the OC resting system was a bad joke).

* spoilar *

Am I the only one who was rather pissed off at the ending? All game long you can be like "Mr. Kelemvor, tear down this wall!", and then at the ending, it's as if everybody seems to have forgotten why they were there, no option to do anything about that bloody wall whatsoever, you just take your soul and go home. No explanation on why Mr. K. wants to keep the wall in the first place, or why you can't or don't try to reach your goal anymore. Attacking a god might actually have provided a challenging fight for a change...

Back
Top Bottom