Legend of Grimrock - Hands-on @ Fun Pastimes

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Fun Pastimes For Stupid Children (10 points for the name) is the blog of Remedy Entertainment writer Mikko Rautalahti. He recently had the chance to play Legend of Grimrock and has posted some impressions. Grimrock is being developed by former colleagues, so Mikko may be somewhat biased, but it certainly sounds promising:
I played Grimrock for maybe an hour, an hour and a half, something like that, until I panicked when I encountered a big horde of spiders, got myself boxed in, and died: I was somewhere in the middle of the third dungeon level, and the guys said that they plan to have 15 of them. The levels tended to get bigger and more complex, the further I went (predictably, the first one was pretty simple); I wouldn’t be willing to draw any conclusions about the overall game time based on this. (Also, I’m a Dungeon Master veteran, so I got through a lot of puzzles pretty quickly, but I have no doubt that a novice would spend a lot more time figuring them out.)
And speaking of Dungeon Master… If you liked it way back in the day, chances are you’ll like Legend of Grimrock. It takes everything that was great about that game and makes it better, smoother, more modern — and when I say modern, I don’t mean “they’ve changed key elements but still like to throw out that name in the hopes that fans will buy it out of nostalgia.” But it looks much nicer, and more importantly, they’ve tried to make things more fun to play — let’s face it, 1987 wasn’t exactly the golden age of user interface design.
Thanks, Von Paulus!
More information.

Been a while since iam looking forward to a game. this is one of them.

Really looking forward to this, and hoping it will be extendable and open to modding. Too bad they don't have a forum.

This looks awesome, can't wait! This has 15 levels, Eye of the Beholder only had 10 and lasted ages, so if it's anything like that this would be great. Level design looks quick and easy though, I wonder if they'll include an editor?

Daniel.

This looks awesome, can't wait! This has 15 levels, Eye of the Beholder only had 10 and lasted ages, so if it's anything like that this would be great. Level design looks quick and easy though, I wonder if they'll include an editor?
I've asked in the blogs how big were the levels in compare with DM, and they answered that they were thinking in a little smaller levels but it would have more than DM.

One of the devs answering about the editor in the blog, :
modding and editor remain to be decided. But even though the system is currently just a text editor it’s pretty cool and easy to use. Even a guy as codingly challenged as me could do a decent level with the tools!

I loved Dungeon Master and EOB, so this will be an instant buy for me whenever it is released. If I remember right, Dungeon Master had 14 levels, though the first was just where you selected your party members.

Wow, this is the first I've heard of Grimrock…
At first glance, I had dismissed this as yet another Grimoire update (the classic style rpg in development for 15 years). But after viewing the gameplay video, I like what I see. :thumbsup:
When is it due for release?

Legend of Grimrock’s coming out this year, for the PC, Mac and iOS devices. I played it on the PC, but I think it’ll probably work very well on the iOS, too — there’s no need for virtual thumbsticks, after all. My gut feeling is that the iPhone version might be a little challenging because of the limited screen size, but I’d love to try this on the iPad.
Im definetly getting this for the pad.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I just hope it doesn't become 'vaporware' like some other promising CRPG titles. Hopefully the folks making this game are actually serious about releasing it.

Back
Top Bottom