Eador Imperium - Steam Early Access

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Eador Imperium, a new standalone expansion to the cult favorite Eador series, has been released on Steam early access.

Thanks, Couch!

Eador. Imperium is a standalone expansion for Eador series, known for its unique blend of grand strategy, turn-based tactics and RPG elements. Launching now in Early Access, Eador. Imperium features new heroes, new units and new gameplay mechanics for the series with more to come soon.

At the moment players can try out 4 new heroes and 15 new units. For this purpose we prepared 4 special shard scenarios starring each of the new heroes, with proper grounds to test new units as well. New heroes are not yet available in ‘Shard battles’, but this is coming very soon.

Full version of Eador. Imperium is going to feature a brand new single player campaign, about 15 more new units (in addition to the current new ones) and a new gameplay system based on Masters and rituals. All original Eador content included.

Join us as we're shaping up the next chapter of Eador!

Early Access Start features:

• 15 new units

• New winter Shard World

• New tactical map

• 4 new heroes:
- Legate: a high-ranking officer of the Imperial legion. Legates never deign to command rank and file troopers in the field; their duty is to lead the high-ranked elite units. When a legate reaches level 10, she is bestowed with the honors of a lictor - at this point, she leaves behind her rank 2 units as well. On the other hand, no one can lead as many rank 3 and 4 units into battle as a legate - and especially the lictor - does.

- Lich: a mighty wizard and a master of necromancy. So horrible is his visage that no mortal is willing to join the ranks of his army. However, his necrotic aura is so powerful it makes the dead rise from their graves and follow him on their own, every turn. As his level increases, more powerful creatures join him, although they need more time to hear his call.

- Sorceress: an innate magician lacking formal education of a wizard. Sorceresses do not study their spells in libraries or memorize them from scrolls; rather, they gain their magic in a mystic insight as they gain levels. Although their power ceiling is lower than that of trained wizards, old sorceresses can often access a wide array of very diverse enchantments, and they can cast any of them at will as many times as they have spell slots of a respective rank.

- Pilot: a pilot of an airship, capable of crossing great distances over the air. However, an airship needs time and a plenty of space to take off or land. It cannot land or take off vertically; it needs to be done in the direction of a neighboring province, and takes one turn to accomplish. Crossing water and mountains requires advanced piloting skills, a pilot can achieve that beginning with level 10 and 20 respectively. A pilot cannot attack fortified provinces from the air, be it enemy capital or a godforsaken distant outpost.
Check it out.

More information.

Bad UI and ridiculously botched hero/unit scaling. Still Warhammer: Dark Omen is the best in this area! [IMO]

Yeah I've always had kind of a love/hate thing going with Eador. But there is enough love that I'm very likely to give this a try.

I was looking for an excuse to start playing Eador again anyway.

Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Bad UI and ridiculously botched hero/unit scaling. Still Warhammer: Dark Omen is the best in this area! [IMO]
Pardon me if I'm having difficulties in comparing these two games… Could you be more specific ?

Isn't Warhammer Dark Omen an old Rts game? Eador is a 4x with pause I think

What? Do you even know what are you talking about?

Eador is one of the best 4x TB fantasy game ever created. The first (Genesis) was an instant classics. It is also appropriate for RPGWatch since there is more "role playing" in it than in most 'real' RPGs.... Very difficult to master, a campaign that could take hundred of hours to finish. It had a very small audience in comparison to comparable games like Civ or HMM, but most everybody loved it.

Broken Worlds was the same game in a new engine with several key differences. It was fantastic but also plagued by infamous bugs in several systems, and strangely enough a lot of the old Genesis players hated it. Some for the UI, some because cannot stand 'pretty' graphics (sic!), most for pure idiocy.

Imperium is the new standalone expansion for Broken Worlds. It is not done yet (hence Early Access), but it promises to introduce new units, heroes, and a complete new campaign.

People who like the series (and you will find many testimonials in the forums, in between the many complains) report that this game is incredibly addictive, and have spent hundred of hours on it. I am among them. It is difficult to decide among so many good games, but if this is not my personal #1 game ever, it is damned close.

Oh, did I mention that you can snatch the two previous version for almost nothing in any sale? A few dollars for hundred of hours of entertainment if you like the genre. Not a bad deal.

Eador Genesis is the best game I have ever played. It is made even better with the New Horizons mod. It's hard for me to pick my favorite game but Eador stands with HoMM and Civ for strategy games. Eador has not come off my hard drive and I still play a game at least every few weeks.

They don't even compare...totally different.

Full version of Eador. Imperium is going to feature a brand new single player campaign, about 15 more new units (in addition to the current new ones) and a new gameplay system based on Masters and rituals. All original Eador content included.

Does this mean all content with the new Game? As someone who is just dipping the toe in the pool of Fantasy 4x, I researched a lot before I bought Planaar Conquest and almost bought this. If that is true, it sounds like a great value.

Eador MotBW is a masterpiece, in my opinion. Weird UI at first, but becomes efficient and second nature if you are patient.
If it wasn't for Total Warhammer I'd play this early access right now. I'll still probably buy it now, just to support the developers, but TW is all consuming for the foreseeable future.

Eador MotBW is a nice time waster but certainly not (IMO) not a masterpiece. It's too random and so too much depends on luck. Will you get lucky (or, at least, not unlucky) with your keep placement? Will you get good drop early enough? Will you avoid getting a bug which makes battles unwinnable?

I enjoy the luck. Does it screw you sometimes? Sure, but other times it makes for some real cool maps and games. The luck and randomness keeps the game fresh but at other times, does make you want to smash your keyboard :)

Problem, as I see it, is that you are being screwed up more often than getting an interesting game. You think that you progress nicely only to find out that an enemy is WAY ahead of you or that you are being attacked from more than one side. I just too old to waste my time on frustrating pursuits.

I got it (broken) world on the Steam sale and I like it much more then Planaar conquest. It feels like a game that has objectives vs an open sandbox
Although, why don't your troops heal when you end your turn in strongholds?

You have to heal them with spells in battles or there is a spell you can use outside of combat if you having the healing line. Resting and having certain buildings in your castle or providences will also make your troops heal faster.

Ok, no wonder. I have healers now. It looks like having archers is all the difference in the world; I cringe every time I see them on the battlefield and my slingers can't get them. I changed my avatar to a wizard instead of a tank and that helps somewhat.

Does the multiplayer work well?

I always start with a scout (ranger) and develop him as a pure archer with double shot. He explores terrain quicker and can deal with archers. Next is commander (with ranged weapon ability added later) used for attack and defence, than wizard who deals with difficult guardians and mobs and knight is the very last.

Hero selection really depends on the map. For tiny and small maps, rangers and warriors are best. For medium maps they're about even. For larger shards, commanders and wizards are the best. Also pay attention to the type of shards, for example in swamp shards, wizards shine because they get plenty of crystals while commanders won't gather enough money for the troops, etc.

Back
Top Bottom