Dead State - DoubleBear Review Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if people just held their leaders to the same standard as they do their video game developers. What a wonderful world this would be...

Let me ask this, if the negative reviews didn't get upvoted until the reddit post, and there are far more positive reviews than negative review (people who actually bought the game), do you honestly believe their is no correlation? This specifically is sabotage from a bunch of pricks.

Ohh logic here....watch out;)

No, they don't.

They think they're entitled, and that's the problem. There is a lot of misunderstanding about the right to free speech and freedom from censorship. It means only that the government cannot come and take you away because they don't like what you say.

I agree that people attempting to cite freedom of speech here are incorrect and being a bit silly. I also think, unfortunately, Double Bear has screwed the proverbial pooch on this one.

The Streisand effect is in full force here. The damage that one bad review would do (whether or not it was made by an entitled dickbag not withstanding) would most likely be nominal. Now, a large shitstorm of angry net-nerds is a-brewin', and that is a shame for the fledgling company. As much as I abhor censorship, I can forgive them on this one. However, I fear the public at large may not be as forgiving.

If Double Bear survives this debacle, I hope they've learned there lesson and just accept that any monkey pounding away a keyboard can leave a review. So long as the review isn't making actual threats to people's safety, it's probably best to chalk it up to price of doing business on teh intarwebz. Even in the case there are outright falsehoods in someones negative review, the best response (if any) is to reply with a refutation that includes evidence that the reviewer is full of shit. Deleting bad reviews just makes the person doing so (however rightly or wrongly) appear guilty by attempting to hide something.

Is that a winning deflection in your book? "Umad bro?" is your response?

Nope, just think your tirade is funny to be honest.

This isn't as big a deal as you want others to believe....

I wish I could give your comment a thousand +1's as we have certain members on this forum just like him. They are a blight on the internet, and every gaming site.:nod:

Yes, differing opinions are the blight on the internet. They should be stamped out. How about we start with yours?

You'd like to give a thousand spammed thumbs to support someone personally attacking someone who shares a difference in opinion. Brilliant.

Do you notice that the people who name call all happen to be on the side who want to censor opposing opinions? Interesting trend.

Nope, just think your tirade is funny to be honest.

This isn't as big a deal as you want others to believe….

Umad bro?

Did I do it right?

Yeah, censoring negative opinions and then going on a personal attack spree on twitter as the head of the same company is no big deal.

So, let's look at the avenues for deflection:

They were right for censoring him! He was [insert name calling]!

Steam literally has the first amendment right to kowtow to developers who stamp their feet at negative reviews! You don't like censorship and therefore you don't understand the first amendment. Censorship is AWESOME when private companies do it to encourage sales of a buggy, underdeveloped product pushed out the door right in time for the holidays!

She was just a nobody who was personally attacking using twitter!

She was just human, expressing frustration!

It is just no big deal.. Why? Because I said so!

I agree that people attempting to cite freedom of speech here are incorrect and being a bit silly. I also think, unfortunately, Double Bear has screwed the proverbial pooch on this one.

The Streisand effect is in full force here. The damage that one bad review would have done (whether or not it was made by an entitled dickbag not withstanding) would most likely be nominal. Now, a large shit-storm of angry net-nerds is a-brewin', and that is a shame for the fledgling company. As much as I abhor censorship, I can forgive them on this one. However, I fear the public at large may not be as forgiving.

If Double Bear survives this debacle, I hope they've learned there lesson and just accept that any monkey pounding away a keyboard can leave a review. So long as the review isn't making actual threats to people's safety, it's probably best to chalk it up to price of doing business on teh intarwebz. Even in the case there are outright falsehoods in someones negative review, the best response (if any) is to reply with a refutation that includes evidence that the reviewer is full of shit. Deleting bad reviews just makes the person doing so (however rightly or wrongly) appear guilty by attempting to hide something.

I would like you to quote a single post here that refer to the first amendment. Didn't happen.

What did happen was that some people, me included, do not like the idea of censorship, and think that paying customers have every right to post opinions. By the way, "every right" is an expression. It is not a literal quote of the first amendment.

Yes, differing opinions are the blight on the internet. They should be stamped out. How about we start with yours?

You'd like to give a thousand spammed thumbs to support someone personally attacking someone who shares a difference in opinion. Brilliant.

Do you notice that the people who name call all happen to be on the side who want to censor opposing opinions? Interesting trend.

You are new here, calling out someone who has been here a very long time with a personal tirade probably isn't the smartest thing to do. Couch has been posting a lot of good things over the years, whereas you are new and posted tirades about freedoms of people to say what they want(regardless if they actually have to be held responsible for their actions). Nothing you have said here so far has proven anything other then reinforced my belief that you are either that reviewer or are somehow involved with that situation.

The devs came out gave the reasoning on what happened, I bet they wished they never had to deal with that douchebag....but it is what it is. Should we all get pitchforks ready to attack and condemn them for it? Or, act like adults and see it as a bad situation that didn't go well.

I'm not used to people agreeing with me here anymore
I give credit where its due for good comments.:party:
Anyway I find myself disliking most Steam reviews lately as half of them seem to be written by illiterate children, or people trying to start a flame war.

I recently tried to start a short debate about Dead State, and Russian members ruined the topic quickly. All it proves is Steam needs better moderation.

Another simple way would be for Steam to make review guidelines, and rules.

Frankly I always put problem posters on my ignore list so I never never have to read a comment from them ever again on this site. It does wonders for my sanity.:)

Last edited:
Yeah, steam is garbage for anything good coming out of it. You know exactly what you are going to see when you open the forums. Crap.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to get a costumer that gets banned from your forums and then uses steam as a way to destroy you...it's psycho.

Yeah, steam is garbage for anything good coming out of it. You know exactly what you are going to see when you open the forums. Crap.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to get a costumer that gets banned from your forums and then uses steam as a way to destroy you…it's psycho.

It surprises you that companies, that is run by egomaniacs, who ban people who dissent, can't control the entire internet to stifle critical opinions? You think this is a bad thing?

It surprises you that companies, that is run by egomaniacs, who ban people who dissent, can't control the entire internet to stifle critical opinions? You think this is a bad thing?

You sound rational, really you do.

If you want to warp what I said into that then sure....they didn't delete all bad reviews(there don't seem to be a lot of those) just his. Because of history and that's it....boohoo the guys not a hero to anyone, matter of fact he comes across as a douche bag loser.

You are new here, calling out someone who has been here a very long time with a personal tirade probably isn't the smartest thing to do. Couch has been posting a lot of good things over the years, whereas you are new and posted tirades about freedoms of people to say what they want(regardless if they actually have to be held responsible for their actions). Nothing you have said here so far has proven anything other then reinforced my belief that you are either that reviewer or are somehow involved with that situation.

The devs came out gave the reasoning on what happened, I bet they wished they never had to deal with that douchebag….but it is what it is. Should we all get pitchforks ready to attack and condemn them for it? Or, act like adults and see it as a bad situation that didn't go well.

Are you saying that seniority equals validity of argument? Seriously?

I'm looking at her twitter posts. First she makes a false statement about the dev flagging the review. Then she claims victimhood because she was "harassed"(apparently criticism is harassment these days... well, it would to an egomaniac). Then she admits that she posted earlier erroneously and makes up a litany of excuses that apparently justify it in her head.

Read their "response." It doesn't address the complaints in the review at all. It is simply a poorly made argument for why they don't like the poster, and therefore, everything is justified.

They never once address how every review out there mentions bugs or how it is unanimous that the game doesn't have much to it(underdeveloped), or how it conveniently became release worthy right at holiday time.

Would you kindly link me to the developer's actual response to the content of the review? I am not interested in their justification for censorship and how they are truly the victims here.

You sound rational, really you do.

If you want to warp what I said into that then sure….they didn't delete all bad reviews(there don't seem to be a lot of those) just his. Because of history and that's it….boohoo the guys not a hero to anyone, matter of fact he comes across as a douche bag loser.

Do you notice that you are the only one name calling here? Do you really think that you should be calling MY rationality into question?

In none of my posts have I name called. Yet, here you are, calling someone a "douche bag loser." Are you that angry that you feel the need to name call?

At least when I call someone an egomaniac, I have direct evidence, and it is nothing personal like calling someone "stupid" or worse, "douche bag loser."

I really don't think it is required, you are basically frothing at the mouth.

You don't read what others write properly or have a hard time understanding.

You don't come onto a forums and look to call out some of the more respected member of the community without getting push back. That was my point.

I think you are angry you got your review banned and want us to join your crusade. Not interested. Don't care.

I have the game, is it buggy? Sure. Is it witch hunt buggy, heh no.

I think some of these keyboard warriors need to get a life.

PS: Maybe I shouldn't have called you a douchebag, sorry.

PPS: I'm not angry at all...I'm laughing at this.

I really don't think it is required, you are basically frothing at the mouth.

You don't read what others write properly or have a hard time understanding.

You don't come onto a forums and look to call out some of the more respected member of the community without getting push back. That was my point.

I think you are angry you got your review banned and want us to join your crusade. Not interested. Don't care.

I have the game, is it buggy? Sure. Is it witch hunt buggy, heh no.

I think some of these keyboard warriors need to get a life.

PS: Maybe I shouldn't have called you a douchebag, sorry.

I ask you again. You are the one going around calling people who disagree with you "douche bag loser." How again am I frothing at the mouth?

My review banned? Are we dealing with conspiracy theories now? Should I add that to the above list of deflections attempted here?

I never backed the game and I have not bought it since. Are you really so desperate that you feel the need to make up a story about me? Do you want me to link you to my steam account that I've had for over 10 years?

How about just accepting that some gamers find it despicable for developers to do what these have done? They didn't just do one thing. The evidence points to a systematic way of behaving.

P.S. I didn't think you called me that. I thought you were referring to the person who made the review/person involved in this whole thing.

P.P.S. Could you define "call out" in the way you are using it here? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to get a costumer that gets banned from your forums and then uses steam as a way to destroy you…it's psycho.
I wonder which member he was on the Dead State forums as I have seen many get banned in the last few months for never learning how to be civil on the internet.o_O
The Streisand effect is in full force here. The damage that one bad review would do (whether or not it was made by an entitled dickbag not withstanding) would most likely be nominal. Now, a large shitstorm of angry net-nerds is a-brewin', and that is a shame for the fledgling company. As much as I abhor censorship, I can forgive them on this one. However, I fear the public at large may not be as forgiving.

I agree it's the same thing I wrote a few pages back as sometimes the internet does more harm then good. The best thing you can do is just move on, and be the better person.

Frankly I always put problem posters on my ignore list so I never never have to read a comment from them ever again on this site. It does wonders for my sanity.:)

I didn't know you could do that. Starting right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom