The Witcher 2 - Patch scheduled for this evening and details

Garrett

Watchdog
This is from the official Witcher page:
Internal tests of Patch 1.1 are well under way. Our current target is to release it this evening. Please note that although we are doing our best to have it ready by then, the time still may change in order to be completely sure that the patch will function properly. This is our primary concern since there are significant changes and upgrades that will affect many users.

1. Simpler and more reliable game installation and activation. Details to be revealed soon.

2. Fixed the free Troll Trouble DLC download. It is now included n the patch so there's no need to download and install it separately.

3. Fixed an issue that prevented some users from downloading other free DLCs (the ones given out with some pre-orders, special promotions, etc). The launcher now properly refreshes the list of available DLCs and allows for installation.

4. Performance improvements: approximately 5% to 30% better framerate and faster game loading for many users, depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements.

5. Fixed random crashes occurring on some systems, especially after saving and loading saves.

6. Key mapping – allows the arrow and number keys to be used for movement.

7. Added the option to invert the mouse.

8. nVidia surround vision now works properly.

9. More accurate assessment provided by the "auto-detect settings" option will help improve game performance.

10. Removed a bug that prevented completion of the “Blood Curse” quest.

11. Fixed a bug that prevented the additional link in "Extras" from being unlocked after winning the dice game against the GOG.com monk.

12. GOG.com credits now work properly.

The full list of all changes will be available upon the release of the patch. If you have experienced any issues that are not on the list above, please don't worry. We have already started working on the next patch, which will address other difficulties and bugs, including those related to specific hardware setups; e.g.. Logitech g35. You may expect this second patch to be ready next week.

Patch 1.1 will be available for all the versions of the game, both retail and digital, except for Russian. However, we would like to assure our Russian fans that we are aware of the problems with the your version of the game (thanks for your reports!) and we are talking with 1C about possible solutions.
More information.

Great news!!

Item #8) I don't know what Nvidia surround vision is. Is that running 3 monitors maybe?

Item #4) I'm only having frame rate issues in interior locations. So bad it's unplayable, but outside locations run fine. I hope this or subsequent patches clear that up.

Item #9) I've spent hours and probably 40+ game restarts trying to tweak the settings to get decent frame rates in interiors. The auto-detect settings set everything to absolute minimum, and the game ran and looked horrible. My system far exceeds the minimum specs in every category. I got better results fiddling with it myself.

Item #7) I hope this includes inverting the look for Xbox 360 controller. If so, I will be playing with the controller instead of the keyboard. Seems like the game was set up for a controller.

6. Key mapping – allows the arrow and number keys to be used for movement.

I guess I'll know soon enough but I hope this point includes more than just being able to map the arrow & number keys. I was really hoping for secondary bindings to the same ability, able to select vs cast vs select/cast signs, and mouse wheel support.

Well, here's hoping. I've been avoiding messing with my controls too much waiting for the patch.

Also, does anyone know what the "F" key does? I'm not at my gaming computer atm but I believe under the input settings, it's mapped to "special attack"? It's not in the manual. That's a pretty reachable key that it'd be nice to be able to set to cast my favorite sign or something if it's not currently doing anything.

Item #7) I hope this includes inverting the look for Xbox 360 controller. If so, I will be playing with the controller instead of the keyboard. Seems like the game was set up for a controller.

IMO the game's better with a controller(smoother camera control, automatic take all from containers, better combat) but it still needs improving, pressing the left thumbstick does nothing instead of centering the camera behind the character as is standard in these games.

Also, does anyone know what the "F" key does?

It's for carding QTEs?

They really scrapped alchemy in this game. Bad as it was a front feature in TW1.
Alchemy is nothing more than support for other paths.

It is hoped they came with a way to activate formula ingredients for long as the autoplacer can eat valuable ingredients.

In each elements, you should be allowed to select a dominant ingredient that would be used anytime, allowing to reserve the others.

Maybe in the patch...

Also, does anyone know what the "F" key does? I'm not at my gaming computer atm but I believe under the input settings, it's mapped to "special attack"? It's not in the manual. That's a pretty reachable key that it'd be nice to be able to set to cast my favorite sign or something if it's not currently doing anything.
IIRC there is only one occasion in the game where it's used. So don't worry. No reason to remap that one.

I don't recall ever using the "F" key at all during my playthrough.

I hope they fixed the bug with the mouse buttons becoming unresponsive at random moments.

The "F" key is mapped to GI_CircleOfPower in the Input_QWERTY.ini file. That does not mean anything to me though.

I hope they fixed the bug with the mouse buttons becoming unresponsive at random moments.

Did that problem require you reload a previous save? I had something like that happen where the controls became unresponsive which was not fixed by saving and reloading. I had to revert to an earlier save. Only happened once and I only lost about 30 seconds of gameplay.

I know some people have complained about the autosave feature creating a mountain of saves cluttering up their list, but really that has made it so the few crashes and bugs I encountered resulted in minimal frustration as almost no play time was lost. The one frustration I really had (besides the lack of ending slides) was the one boss fight where you have to watch a relatively long un-skippable cut-scene each time you attempt it. It was a little annoying how some cut-scenes were un-skippable like that even when already viewed once.

Still considering the variety of potential play-though paths this has been a pleasantly frustration free game so far. Very different philosophy with regards to having the game respond to player choices. While ending slides would have been nice, the real payoff in choices you make is in how very different the path from that point on can be. Most games we celebrate for the freedom they give players do not do this - in that regardless of choice the subsequent tasks/locales will seem very similar.

Did that problem require you reload a previous save? I had something like that happen where the controls became unresponsive which was not fixed by saving and reloading. I had to revert to an earlier save. Only happened once and I only lost about 30 seconds of gameplay.

Nah, I'm talking about certain actions just not responding from button presses for brief moments. Like coming up out of a dodge/roll and trying to swing my sword but nothing happening for the first 1 or 2 presses. It didn't happen all the time, but seemed to happen during the worst possible times, like when I was surrounded by 3-4 enemies, and caused me to see a few reload screens that I shouldn't have.

It would randomly happen with melee, signs, and knives/bombs.

They really scrapped alchemy in this game. Bad as it was a front feature in TW1.
Alchemy is nothing more than support for other paths.

It is hoped they came with a way to activate formula ingredients for long as the autoplacer can eat valuable ingredients.

In each elements, you should be allowed to select a dominant ingredient that would be used anytime, allowing to reserve the others.

While I would welcome the feature, I don't see the problem with alchemy. If you play on hard, it is still necessary, and you can select which ingredient you want to go into which slot.

The most annoying flaw IMO is how you have seperate screens for crafting and trading. I would really welcome a screen in which crafting, trading and inventory information was available to compare items and formulas.

So far, I am loving this game.

The F key can be used during certain events as a special trigger, but I've only seen it once: As a yield key during arena combat in the Kaedweni camp in chapter 2.

The F key can be used during certain events as a special trigger, but I've only seen it once: As a yield key during arena combat in the Kaedweni camp in chapter 2.

Exactly. However you'll never use it as you want to win them all, not to surrender. ;)
As I've said above, there is no need to remap that key at all.

Btw, the official site says this now:
The good news is that the patch is ready. The bad news is that we have encountered some problems with the server infrastructure, making downloading DLCs impossible. We want to apologize to our fans for not meeting our target of delivering the patch last night. We will update you when we know more.

Last edited:
While I would welcome the feature, I don't see the problem with alchemy. If you play on hard, it is still necessary,
Not only alchemy should be necessary for a character specialized in alchemy but it should be essential.

Alchemist witchers should make it thanks to alchemy. Not using alchemy should be like not using signs for a sign specialized witcher or not using swords for a swordman witcher.

The trouble with alchemy is simple: the game is based on the management of space.
The other two specializations have improved solutions for dealing with space, whether closed space (quen sign/whirl) or making space for oneself (aard/footwork)

Alchemy works through attrition either by buffing the character abilities or by debilitating the enemy . The situation turns circular as to get effective, space is needed and when space is available, alchemy no longer appears essential as the same result can be achieved by mere management of space.

I've been checking that quite long now. Buffs do not beat improved gear. Improved gear negates the need for oil.
I am only using alchemy sporadically. Nothing close to what an alchemy dedicated path should deliver.

In TW2, alchemy is nothing more than a support field for the two other fields. Going for that field only provides the weaker experience.
and you can select which ingredient you want to go into which slot.
Alchemists should usually have spare potions/oils as it is the way they survive in the gameworld.

Currently, the UI forces the design of potions one by one, without remembering the previous ingredients.

Swallow potions are basic for an alchemist. It has three ingredients.
Alchemists would prepare these kind of potions on the most available ingredients in their current location as they can be easily collected.

Yet, the auto selecter does not allow the selection of these ingredients.

Currently, in chapter two, anytime I want to brew a swallow potions, I am compelled to change two elements in the formula each time I brew one. It is a hassle.

Now, a convenient UI design was at hand. Selection of the ingredients (already in), validation (in), same slider as trade (in the game), indexed on the lowest ingredient number(additional work). Would have allowed to brew a quantity of potions on the same ingredients.

Not in. Maybe because of a game design problem as potions brewing can deliver mutagens as a side product. With a possible exploit here.

The UI for potions brewing is a hassle. Unsuitable for alchemist supposed needs. The good point is that for an alchemist, alchemy is neither essential nor necessary, allowing not to brew potions or oils.

The "F" key is mapped to GI_CircleOfPower in the Input_QWERTY.ini file. That does not mean anything to me though.

After patch 1.1 it autocenters the camera behind Geralt, with the controller setup.

Back
Top Bottom