The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Jethro Tull were a great live band. I saw them years ago - Ian Anderson leaping all over the gear, playing his flute like a demented pixie.

Today I started going through some Rolling Stones Top 50 Prog Rock Albums list (which is exactly that….a list) looking for an album, or even better, a band that Ive never heard before, and I found this. Never heard these guys, but apparently, judging by the comments, they were Krautrock and not Prog Rock :) Whatever they are, this album was very very good. Very Jazzy / Prog sound

Can - Future Days

Can is very good. I have most of their stuff. Contrary to most can fans, my favourite album is Saw Delight.

As for genre, Krautrock is often regarded as a subgenre of prog.

And if you like Can, I suggest that you also take a listen (!) to Holger Czukay. He started as a bass player in the band, and ended up as the master of weird sounds. He has released several solo-albums which are in my temporal lobes very good.

pibbur who considers to be prog rock anything represented on www.progarchives.com.

Jethro Tull were a great live band. I saw them years ago - Ian Anderson leaping all over the gear, playing his flute like a demented pixie.

I like Tull, and have seen them a couple of times. Unfortunately only after their 25 years anniversary. They were still a great live band, but you see/hear that all those years had taken it's tull... eh ... toll.

pibbur who also had fun looking at the audience. A few youngsters, definitely the minority. The majority middle aged, a lot of them well dressed, short haired baby faces. And a few old hippies. Like the pibbur.

Saw these guys at a small festival. I went there for the metal, didn't think I'd dig a melodic punk band, but they (especially the singer) rocked the stage so hard, it was just a ton of fun.

I had been trying to use the Amazon Fire Phone as an 'iPod substitute' in my car, but it sucks and often won't connect to my Mac or PC to transfer music ... so I instead grabbed a pile of CD's :)

I am digging how great Pat Methane's 'We Live Here' album is ... and how different an experience it is sticking in a single CD and listening to things in order, just one artist, one album ... like I did for so many years :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4zG-EK2oQ&list=PLdxh3s72rBX1FSkb5AtbKFNRUNORgaAPu

and how different an experience it is sticking in a single CD and listening to things in order, just one artist, one album … like I did for so many years :)
Valid point. Your genres probably do a little more "concept album" kinda things, but even when the recording is just a "collection of songs", there's generally a mood set by listening for the full cd that people just don't get these days when they window-shop the singles or run the MP3 player on shuffle. Besides, some of my favorite songs are "album tracks". To wit:

"Tears" by Thompson Twins

I come up empty sometimes, but the breadth of Youtube is definitely impressive. Here's an example of a tune that was missing for a long time. Apparently someone put up the entire cd recently. Please forward to 11:18 for the track in question:
"Sparkle" by The Rosemarys

Big bonus points for anyone that can id the female guest vocalist without cheating. She's got a fairly unique voice, so I don't think that's an impossible question.

You never did tell us who that vocalist was. :)

You never did tell us who that vocalist was. :)
Didn't think anyone really cared after the initial burst. ;)

That would be Ms. Alison Shaw, who despite all evidence is not wearing a clothespin on her nose while recording her vocals.
"Far Away"
"Cloudless"
by The Cranes

Valid point. Your genres probably do a little more "concept album" kinda things, but even when the recording is just a "collection of songs", there's generally a mood set by listening for the full cd that people just don't get these days when they window-shop the singles or run the MP3 player on shuffle. Besides, some of my favorite songs are "album tracks". To wit:

"Tears" by Thompson Twins

True for some, not for others - 1959 with Miles' "Kind of Blue", Ornette, Mingus, Trane, etc all really were amongst to embrace the 'album as art' idea, before that it was really just 'documenting the band, making songs'.

But since I went full-on digital very early, was using a PDA with Compact Flash memory a few years before the first iPod as my music player in the late 90s ... it has been very interesting for me in 'album mode'.

Another prog favourite. Definitely sounds nicely remastered from the original.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression Part 2)

Also love the disturbing original album cover art for Brain Salad Surgery by H.R. Giger before he became famous by Alien.

387e6892.jpg

Although, I feel ELP could be considered at times the most pompous and overblown in the prog camp.

Agreed. Sometimes they are just alittle toooo much. I like some of their stuff, but I cant say Im a big fan.

Back
Top Bottom