The 26 Best RPGs @ GamePro

16 Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

The list is amazingly terrible, are they trying to troll?

Why twenty-six, anyway? It's such an odd number.

Gamepro is a source I stopped using many years ago, this is a perfect example why.

I'm surprised they're still around.

Terrible list. Warhammer? Ok Kingdom Hearts was a good game, but a RPG?? Hello?

All you have to do is look at their other lists - FPS and PSP were the ones I viewed ... and just shake your head, sigh, shed a tear for humanity, and move along ...

I mean, there really aren't that many good PSP games, how do you screw *that* up ...

This list is the worst I have ever seen!
Planescape Torment #22???
Baldur's Gate 2 #18???
Oblivion better than BG and PS:T????
POKEMON and Diablo are RPGs!?
No FALLOUT 1 or 2???@#$%^%$$
No Gothic??(Dont get me wrong but i believe its better than half of those games)
WoW #2???
There are too many MMOs and JRPGs ,the only thing that i agree is that KOTOR deserves to be in the Top 10.
Those guys are retards, this is a blasphemy to RPGs

Edit:The members of this site are even worse!!
They agree or want the list to be full of those $#%#$%FFs

Edit #2:I am sorry for what I said I just realized those guys never had a PC .

Last edited:
The list is amazingly terrible, are they trying to troll?

Nobody that ever played more than a couple of role playing games would ever think that games like Oblivion or Mass Effect are able to outran such classics like Planescape: Torment or Deus Ex (both in my own top-10 list).

Where are the first two fallouts, where the Might and Magic's, the Wizardry's, Realms of Arkania ... where are games like Gothic, The Witcher, Arx Fatalis ... so much great games in the last two decades ... but on this list there's 80% bullshit instead.

Listed the whole Ultima series then is giving individual FF's and such a place - nicely inconsistent.

I like what it has to say: Ultima X was cancelled so the series came to an abrupt end without being properly finished. All I have to say to that is, HA!

As we know Ultima X was not going to be part of the series but actually the second attempt and an update of Ultima Online. AFAIK UO is still going so that might have been worth mentioning. Had they been the least bit up to date they might have mentioned Richard's space tourism and the father/son angle that he and his Russian pilot share.

Gamepro rules all from its Web site! We are all servants of its majesty, even as we feign ignorance. GamePro takes no notice! Go! And spread word of its mighty stature. GamePro rules all!!

Good list

I think the list is pretty good, though the order isn't perfect.

Some pearls from the list:
* Ultima Series, mother of them all and I'm avid collector :D
* Diablo 2, Perhaps best action rpg (hack-n-slash)
* Chrono Trigger, awesome story and really nice hack-n-slash
* Final Fantasy VII, spend dozens of hours playing this as well as my friends
* WoW, 11 Million people cannot be wrong, though I hate this
* Zelda (all of them), one of biggest income sources of nintendo
* Knights of Old Republic, in all time top 3 of RPG IMO
* Baldur's Gate series, love it especially the originally

* WoW, 11 Million people cannot be wrong, though I hate this

Lumping MMOs and single-player RPGs into the same category is incredibly, genuinely dumb. And I'm saying this as someone who enjoys WoW.

Oh, come, didn't you weep when Aerith/Aeris died? It was so emotional! So heartfelt! She wasn't an annoying bint stereotypical white mage girl bore at all! And Cloud's sword is totally not ridiculous. The English translation was also brilliant, don't you agree?

nope. I tried to like it to see what the fuss was about then quit when I was less than halfway through. that dumb push to the next cutscene through linear gameplay was a chore and unlike some linear games like IWD, the story wasn't interesting.

Lumping MMOs and single-player RPGs into the same category is incredibly, genuinely dumb. And I'm saying this as someone who enjoys WoW.
I don't enjoy WoW because it tried to take over my life, but then so did Dwarf Fortress. Stupid games. Stupid dwarves.

BUT is it so wrong to include MMOs in the RPG rankings? Does Oblivion have less in common with WoW than it does with Diablo? Does a genre that includes Deus Ex and Nethack have to exclude Ultima Online? It's arguable, and I don't think it's stupid to go one way or the other.

AND as far as "importance" goes, WoW's influence is going to keep being felt even in single player CRPGs. Its that big, and even though it's a different kind of game from traditional CRPGs, its gameplay mechanics (items and equipment, levels, classes, skills, and even many aspects of combat) are belong to us.

Last edited:
Great guns, Suikoden III beating out Oblivion, Planescape: Torment, and any Baulders title??? It had some really original ideas and was worth the price but the ranking was far too high.

FF 12 was sad. Gambit system let you program your own AI which was fun but the story was horrible. Put FF 10 here instead, or possibly FF 6.

FF 7 as #1 - gotta agree. It's my favorite RPG of all time. I've played through it more times than any other RPG. The battles are fun, the story is the only story that might be better than Planescape's, the characters are deep, the humor is great, the music is awesome, the cinematics work well... every single aspect was top notch.

Or maybe I just like cross dressing heroes? :wow:

Back
Top Bottom