Game Informer - Can a game be too huge?

aries100

SasqWatch
Game Informer asks this in a blend of an editorial and reader discussion at their website.

We're nearing the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which looks awesome, but I'm also intimidated by the idea of playing through such a massive beast of a game. Do you think that a game can get too big, that a game can get to the point that it hurts the quality of the title? When I was younger, I used to love the idea of diving into a game that was so massive it took months to beat, but as I've gotten older, I've found that I have less and less time to give to demanding games.
What do you think? Can a game be too big?

More information.

The answer on this is easy and the same as on:
- Can a book have too many pages?
- Can a TV series have too many episodes?

It's "No" in all cases - if it's good.
If it sux, the size won't matter, it'll still suck.

One great game that I'll invest 500 hours into or 500 phone crapware games I'll play an hour each one before I get bored or annoyed then uninstall?
I'm buying that one game. And don't care for it's price. 500 crapware they can sell to their mo... To the antisocial traintravel people.

Ofcourse not.

I don't get this guy. Why is he whining? There are plenty of short games out there. If you don't have time for these kind of massive rpgs, don't play them. It is very simple really.

A game can get too long when it's filled with boring grinding combat and respawning enemies. If fighting is interesting (like in Wizardry games or Battle Brothers) I don't mind grinding.

The guy answers himself when he says:

as I've gotten older

Well, not quite. What he meant to say was "as I've gotten busier", which he thinks is getting older, but only because he's lead a life which has made him busier as he gets older.

Oh, nearly forgot, the answer's a resounding "no".

It definitely can be too long.

That is because some game mechanics can be nice, but get boring after a while.
Now with RPGs that is mostly not the case, or at least not to this degree.

But one of the last Games I played was Gunpoint. Whilt it was a nice game, it only lasted for about 4 hours. Gunpoint is a game about logical puzzles. Which at first are nice, but after 3h or so the diversity of what you can do with that concept was used up. It became repetitive and ended at just the right amount of time. Would it have been twice the size, it would have been to long.
The question is when you have reached the point of having seen "everything" regarding mechanics and when it becomes repitition and the only thing keeping you playing is the story. And this can also be the case in RPGs.
Lots of players say that they feel like they don't feel much motivation anymore if they hit max level. A recent example for that would be Pillars of Eternity. Fallout 3 was a much more extreme case. Both games of course had it's own flaws. PoE had some quests which gave too much XP. Fallout 3 just had a "broken" level curve alltogether so that you reached max level at not even 50% of the game. But that said even if games have a better level curve at one point you will hardly get anything new per level or at least mechanical new per level, so that you feel going into repetitiveness.

Imho the leveling curve of Might and Magic X felt ok. But the content was just more the gameplay could handle. The last part of the game was just repititive as you were almost godlike. Now with DLCs this game would have been too long for sure.

A problem RPGs have more than other games is balance. The longer a game is, the more serious balance problems are. Might and Magic became more trivial once it reached a certain point if you had a good group constellation and you knew what you were doing.
But I think the best example is Skyrim, which has horrible, horrible balancing.
In Skyrim you have so much content in the game, that you can do lots of stuff just while exploring and questing, like mastering the professions, which just provides you with a boost which make the complete game totally trivial. If Sykrim was just a 80h game, this would not have been an issue to this degree.

So all in all:
-When is the "freshness" of a game mechanic used up
-When is the amount of stuff the player has available (like skills) that anymore would be overkill or repetitive
-When do you reach a point where the balancing of the majority of the players reached a state where it is either well below the required power-state, or well above. The more freedom you give to the player the more complicated
-How interesting is the story you can tell

On the other hand there are also games which were just too short. So short that they kinda broke apart. My favorite example in this case is Shadowrun Returns.
Shadowrun returns is an extremely short game with just around 15h or so.
But it wanted to give players so many possibilities that it was impossible to implement it in just 15h of content. So most of the conversation skills only had a use once or twice in the game. If you decided to learn them at the second half of the game, and the possibility to use it, alread passed, you took it for nothing. It was also extremely obvious that they tried to add ways for every character to use the skill at encounters. So at each encounter you saw a drone shaft so that you could actually use the drone skill. If the game was longer, they would have been able to spread this out. Integrate more possibilities in the game, without compromising the games content.

Well, of course you could say that a perfect game can be infinitely long. But no game is perfect. There is always a time when it breaks apart. At some games it is within the gametime, at some games it would be at twice the game time or triple the game time, so you never experience that point.

The answer is NO.

Guess I'm the minority here, but the answer to me is a resounding YES!

From a fan of series that airs that long, wolfling, honestly this was a surprise. :p

I would have to say no! Even with Skyrim where the main quest was less than interesting to me I still managed to put 150ish hours into playing. I had fun trying to get to the top of mountains and just messing round.

Left Skyrim because my computer crashed and I had to buy new one. All saves were gone. My Steam timer showe 139h and I was circa 30% into content. Got 157 on Borderlands and still need to finish few loose ends. So for me if game is good and I want more game can only be too short.

It's the rare game that can hold my interest for that much time, but even then my answer would be a resounding no. As long as they provide a way to just do the main missions without grinding too much I am okay with whatever game length they want to make. For instance I was doing pretty much every mission I ran across in Skyrim, but once I hit the 100 hour mark, I just went for the finish.

I do emphasize with having a lot more limited time than I did years ago, but I don't mind spending a couple months on a game I am enjoying.

Left Skyrim because my computer crashed and I had to buy new one. All saves were gone. My Steam timer showe 139h and I was circa 30% into content.

Aren't your Skyrim-saves somewhere in a Steamcloud, so that if you reinstall the game you will be able to continue the old savegame?

It depends on whether or not you have to contend with that length to get to whatever parts you enjoy (and if so then how much.) For an open world with relatively freeform overall structure, the answer is generally no. For a more linear/gated-structure game the answer can be yes. Since it's usually easier and cheaper to release a game with copy/pasted content or just plain less content, I don't think we tend to see games where "too long" is the common complaint and not just being used to mean "there's too much that's just boring and repetitive."

A game can get too long when it's filled with boring grinding combat and respawning enemies. If fighting is interesting (like in Wizardry games or Battle Brothers) I don't mind grinding.

I agree, with DA being the perfect example!! :)

Back
Top Bottom