First Buffett, now French top managers : "Tax us !"

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Now, this is becoming interesting.

I read in the newspaper of today that "French top managers" have released an open letter basically saying : "Tax us !"

Edit : Here's a BBC article on the matter : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14646975
(Thanks to Zarahtustra in the other tghread about the economical crisuis in the U.S. .)

According to the newspaper, they do see their country - and the EU as such - in trouble, and they explicitely don't want to be spared from helping …

Like Warren Buffett said in an article not too long ago, the richest don't want to be overly protected by their governments anymore.

They explicitely want to participate in helping the state by putting more money into the state through taxing.

For France, the article lists the following :

People with an average yearly income of 242.000 Euros pay 18,3 % tax
352 households with an income of 8,5 Million Euros per year even pay only 15 % tax

So, the protection scheme goes like this :

The poorer the people -> the more taxes, because they can't transfer money into Swiss or Luxembourg or so = no flight of capital possible

The more rich the people, the less they are taxed, because they could transfer their money into Swiss, Luxembourg or into other countries = capital flight possible

A commentator from the newspaper describes it like this : "All the things that Mr. Reagan and Mrs. Thatcher stood for, they have been fulfilled. The income discrepancies are now like they were around 1900.

[…]

But it's a stupid thing if there are problems nevertheless. Who is going to create demand if the states and the private households are overindepted ? When workers haven't been participated in the advancement of productivity ?When unlearned workers have become considerably poorer ? These are questions that are frightening not only the stock markets."

And I think this commentator is in so far right that if the wages are too low, no-one can buy anything anymore -> which results in no demand for products.
And no emand = no profits -> no more higher wages which can be spent on products.

That's my personal opinion.

And that's why I'm always insisting on stabilizing the inland markets, especially.

And the richest are imho out of this "circle-system". They just don't contribute too much to it, in my opinion. Not enough, in my opinion.

And now, they begin to see that the state explicitely decides to let go a possible income by NOT taxing them - which is - in my opinion - simply unlogical.

Alrik

Take what Warren Buffett says with a huge grain of salt. He's a genius, no doubt, but he has an army of lawyers and accountants that make sure he doesn't pay a dime more in taxes than he absolutely has to. He's also famous for buying companies, then using his political leverage to turn them around via tax breaks and government contracts.

And let's not forget, while he supports the estate tax, Berkshire-Hathaway is first and foremost an insurance company, and insurance companies make massive amounts of money off life insurance to cover estate taxes.

What he said was overly judgeous. It isn't fair for us to always pay. The richiest people must pay, because they're mostly to blame for this crisis. Whatever he said was democratic and I like it. We can't always pay, otherwise we'll be like the Hindi...

In a newspaper only a few days ago I read that 10 German rich people, among them a musician, declared in an open letter that they "wouldn't have anything against being taxed higher".

So, the financial wealthy people want to be taxed but the goverment likes them so much and they don't tax them enough!!
It's a strange world we are living

Politicians are often wealthy as well - and since they are often members of the upper social class(es), which is usually more wealthy than other classes, they often have "connections" (like in the case of Mr. Rupert Murdoch) to other wealthy people - which makes them not really wanting to tax themselves and "friends" higher than "necessary" ...

Or in other words : I read several days ago that Italy has one of the most expensive democracies ... But the members of the parliament are not likely to decide upon any law that lets them earn less money ...

Back
Top Bottom