Grim Dawn - Alpha Release

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Crate Entertainment announces on their kickstarter that the Alpha of Grim Dawn will be released tomorrow.
And so it was on the 1385th day of development that a messenger of the Lord appeared to Crate Entertainment and said unto them, “You hath labored well and faithfully and now, at long last, thou shalt releaseth thy Grim Dawn Alpha upon the world, if it is good”. And so then did Crate know that alpha should be released, for the alpha seemed good to the. And thus they issued forth emails to the people of Humble Store and to the people of Valve saying unto them “Lo, I doth beseech you now to make good all preparations in accordance that Grim Dawn Alpha may be released with due haste!”

So yeah, it has been a long time coming but the release of Grim Dawn Alpha is nearly upon us! Let us rejoice in its coming and give thanks to the many supporters, both fans and volunteers, who made this possible. We have labored hard these last few weeks to resolve critical issues so that your first experience in Grim Dawn is not overly marred by bugs and stability issues; though certainly there will still be some less common crashes, various oddities and numerous smaller issues.

Please remember that this is an indie title developed by a tiny start-up studio with a fraction of the developers and funding of major ARPG productions. We are not really trying to compete with the big boys, at least not yet, and our small budget means we do not need to sell a large number of copies for this to be successful. There are some limitations on what we can achieve in terms of features and polish, but we have poured our hearts and years of our lives into creating Grim Dawn and feel that we have created an enjoyable experience for those interested.

I know what you are thinking now: “cut to the chase and give us the release date already”. We expect the Alpha download to go live tomorrow, May 15th. Short notice I know, but we were not screwing around when we said we planned to release it without further delay once we felt it was ready. We debated releasing next Monday to be safe but we know how eager you all are to get your hands on alpha and we are a fly by the seat of our pants kind of studio, so… here we go!
More information.

Last edited:
I've been hearing that the completed game is around 20 hours long. Thats quite a bit shorter than Torchlight 2's campaign. Then TL2 has mapworks.

I've been looking forward to Grim Dawn. Hopefully it turns out well.

Oooooh, hopefully the release date will be announced soon.

I'm looking at the feature list for Grim Dawn and I'm amazed at what we're getting for $20!

Oooooh, hopefully the release date will be announced soon.

I'm looking at the feature list for Grim Dawn and I'm amazed at what we're getting for $20!
I agree for $20 it's a good deal. The only problem I see is it might be delayed. That's nothing to worry about though a few other kickstarters were also.

I've been hearing that the completed game is around 20 hours long. Thats quite a bit shorter than Torchlight 2's campaign. Then TL2 has mapworks.

I've been looking forward to Grim Dawn. Hopefully it turns out well.

IIRC work on expansions should begin not long after initial release.Also Titan quest had (and still have some still active)good active moding community since GD uses same engine,so hopefully they will migrate to GD.

Most of these games follow the standard 3 difficulties progression - which means the "real" game tends to start at the highest difficulty.

So, 20 hours is more like 60 hours - and that's for a single character. The genre tends to inspire multiple playthroughs with multiple characters.

That said, I know very little about Grim Dawn - and it's fully possible that they're not following these established standards.

I am dling the steam alpha version atm. If you have a problem close steam and open it again.

I assume that the alpha is only for those who paid extra on kickstarter, yes?

You had to select the 58+ tier on Kickstarter or Legendary version on their website before the Kickstarter to have alpha access.

So you had to pay $60 to have early access to a $20 game :)

Says a nut that paid $500+ to have a statue/tower/NPC that doesn't even represent himself in a game :D

Last edited:
So you had to pay $60 to have early access to a $20 game :)

There was also a beta/early access option at a lower tier as well.

I think lowest tier with Alpha was actually 50 and beta access was 35 tier....at the 58 tier (on top of some other things like soundtrack and such) you also get the first expansion included in the package.

Back
Top Bottom