Your profession ?

When I moved from USA back to Europe due to the marital problems I was trying to do various things but, finally, settled for teaching English and translation work. My earnings are not great but they are adequate and I have time to pursue my other interests (computer games among them).

A lot of interesting replies. :) I myself find my life in what I like to call "The curse of the middle class". Your house, your job, your career, the eternal treadmill. In my 20s I spent a lot of time gaming and watching tv. I had periods of unemployment then. Now in my late 30s I've completely given up on tv. I go to the cinema instead. Last year I've only played one game. I've become much more conscious on how I spend my free time. (I might be playing Risen 3, skipped the second.)

I used to be a scientist too but I left the industry due to lack of opportunity and stress (science is not really valued in Australia, it seems). Now I'm in superannuation industry, and I have to admit it's very laid back (at least compared to science job!)

I work as IT support

I try to make more time for gaming but is hard.. still i get around 20-30 hours per week :D
I loved to read in high school,... now I just don't have time to it.. I think i should traded for it a little of my gaming time :D
I am a gamer since Sintez with z80 procesors were a thing.. so long ago :) and i dont plan to stop.

When I moved from USA back to Europe due to the marital problems I was trying to do various things but, finally, settled for teaching English and translation work. My earnings are not great but they are adequate and I have time to pursue my other interests (computer games among them).

May I ask you into whichj languages you translate into ? Apart from English ?

Regarding science - I had spent almost 10 years of studying Geology / Paleointology, until I finally decided that I couldn't go on - bec ause of somet6hing I now know as an slight Dyscalculia.
Then I didn't know what it was.

During my training into the IT I found that I waws one of the better programmers in the group … The only thing that was of an real hindrance was - again - my Dyscalculia. I have no problems doing simple maths, but anything that gets more complicated than that … uh …

But still - my university time has trained me in various ways that were of nbenefit to me (scientific ways of thinking, for example).

I have been a software developer since 2005. Most of that time in large multinational company just like I always wanted.

Last few years I have worked in multinational team developing government related systems for companies. I really like the job abd the team. I also get to travel regulary around europe which is a nice bonus.

I never finished masters degree in uni (only 90%) but in my work we study and learn new things constantly. Especially the last years have been amazing.

Few year back I also became land lord so that is like secondary job allthough I dont have to work for it. Easy way to earn money.

Last edited:
Dealing with the accounting and finance issues of a company. Used to be fine. Not during the crisis. Considering quitting and do something else or move abroad.

:S
Dealing with the accounting and finance issues of a company. Used to be fine. Not during the crisis. Considering quitting and do something else or move abroad.

I wanted to move abroad, so I pushed my wife :p

P.S. Is it okay to be off topic in off topic forum :S

I am a teacher, chemistry.

My students think it's weird that a grown up still plays games, but I still like it!

You're never too old for gaming!!! They don't know what they're missing.

pibbur who wonders if the dragonbear's real name is Walter.

I am a programmer (mostly C/C++) working in the banking industry with about 10 year experience. Its supposed to be a 40 hours a week job but an average week is easily 60 hours and there is no overtime payment! We have projects and we have to meet deadlines and they don't care how we do it! The job is interesting most of the time so you over look things.

I used to spend about 30 hours a week on games but after getting married to a non-gamer, I am lucky if I can even sit in front of the PC now days! These days its down to 5 - 10 hours a week. I have feeling that once I have kids my gaming days are well and truly over lol

:biggrin:

I'm a mechanic in a recycling yard. And apparently the only blue collar worker here. Not surprising though, I don't have a single coworker I could imagine playing rpgs :)

Back
Top Bottom