A short notice about Risen 3 from the RPC 2014

The written reports, summarised at WoR:

Disascho

-Risen 3 is more like Risen 2 and not so much back to the roots: menus, skill system, attributes, items and abilities are just like in Risen 2 with the addition of crossbows, swords, magic + old stuff like pistols;
-The player didn't find any Voodoo magic
-Fighting system is mostly like in Risen 2 -- charged up strikes make the hero's hands glow -- combat feels floaty

Antiklimax

-Polished aspect, you only rarely find LOD popping up out of nowhere
-Magic animations are well-made
-NPC animations are a bit less ostentatious than in Risen 2
-Character models are a bit more fine-tuned
-You can block monsters; you have to use good timing in combat; slow-motion animations following combos (I guess like Skyrim kill cams?) but they're not over the top
-The world feels like a mix between Gothic 2 and Risen 1; you can swim and the character is pushed up by waves etc
-Gnomes are to be found in the game
-You can loot fallen enemies
-Interesting background stories for NPCs

Kaesetoast

-Combat is like in Arcania (avoiding hits, rolling around, etc), only slightly better than in Risen 2
-A lot of enemies are back from Risen 2
-Dragon snappers - but they're not like in Gothic 2, visually speaking
-Lizards and alligators follow you through water
-Spell scrolls and magic gloves with crystals embedded in them, which allow for short range (e.g fire explosion) and long range (e.g fireball) attacks, also lightning spells but nothing too impressive or innovative
-Exploration is somewhat limited, side-paths are short
-Attacking people doing certain animations doesn't work -- your hits go through them
-The "soul" system is basically just a good/evil system
-Gnomes work as miners for the mages
-A fleet of "ghost ships" which will be relevant for the story

Eldred's already done his share ;P

Tim Anderson

-Overall positive impression
-Return of the three-guild system, guild specific quests
-Tense atmosphere, a subtle menacing feeling throughout the game
-You start out with 50 (i.e neutral) "soul value"
-Magic works without mana -- instead, it has a cooldown system (probably like shouts in Skyrim), and we have runes again
-The island is full of dangers (i.e Leviathans)

Thanks once again HiddenX.:thumbsup:

I also found two more images today on another site.

Link - http://www.lightninggamingnews.com/new-risen-3-images-introduce-dragon-snapper-jungle-spider/
Today we have a couple of new images showing off some of the creatures the main character will have to face in Risen 3: Titan Lords, Piranha Bytes and Deep Silver’s multiplatform fantasy action RPG. The Dragon Snapper is a nimble, tenacious and fast beast, which can use its teeth and claws to vicious effect, especially considering these friendly-looking dudes hunt in groups. Meanwhile, the two-to-three-metre tall Great jungle spider typically lives in caves, and are quick to chase after an enemy, especially if the latter is smaller than them.

The video is a little spoilerish.

That's definitely the same Mendoza from Risen 1. He seems to be some sort of undead companion in this game.

I understand enough of it to agree the guy is insane :)

The autotranslated captions sound pretty crazy, but even non-translated auto-captioning on youtube tends to sound crazy.

For some reason the translation makes it seem as though the gnomes are called "jews" in the German version.

The autotranslated captions sound pretty crazy, but even non-translated auto-captioning on youtube tends to sound crazy.

This guy (youtube reviewer) is very popular with the young gamers crowd in Germany - I just hope that Deepsilver's main target group is not 11 to 15 years old.

This guy (youtube reviewer) is very popular with the young gamers crowd in Germany - I just hope that Deepsilver's main target group is not 11 to 15 years old.

I'm curious, does the German word for gnome double as slang for Jew? Or are the translation just that hilariously bad.

I'm curious, does the German word for gnome double as slang for Jew? Or are the translation just that hilariously bad.

The german word for "Gnome" is "Gnom" (just the same sound as in English).
The german word for "Jew" is "Jude". The words "Jude" and "Gnom" have nothing in common and sound really different. So I think the translator doesn't work.

PS: I just rewatched it with subtitles.
The youtube subtitles make no sense at all, even in German.

Last edited:
Cool video! Playing it now!

btw I don't understand german language, so I obviously can't comment what the guy says, but he sounds like a lunatic at times… :)

Yeah - it's bad marketing. On the other hand I like it when their games are not streamlined for the world market.

In my mind it was Gothic that created the first "convincing" living world. Other games had day and night cycles with NPC going through some kind of cycle, but there was nothing as convincing as Gothic. So, I would never say PB streamlined their games, I would say they created a niche in the RPG market, that hasn't really been exploited by many other CPPG developers.

In my mind it was Gothic that created the first "convincing" living world. Other games had day and night cycles with NPC going through some kind of cycle, but there was nothing as convincing as Gothic. So, I would never say PB streamlined their games, I would say they created a niche in the RPG market, that hasn't really been exploited by many other CPPG developers.

I'd say Ultima Ascension kinda tapped into it first, but it had too many issues.

Gothic was indeed one of the first complete "living, breathing worlds" - and I consider it a true masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom