Vista and programs that suddenly stop working

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain
I thought I post this here, because it took me quite a while to figure this one out. I'm using Windows Vista for some time now, mainly because I have lots of memory installed and don't want to waste it. Anyway, after a while programs stopped working and when I tried to right click an icon the explorer crashed itself. I was trying to find out what caused all these problems, but couldn't find a solution although there are hundrets of threads out there that deal with this particular problem. So I did a clean install about a week ago and at first everything worked fine and then suddenly the same problems popped up again. After searching the internet for quite a while I came across a solution that did the trick for me. The troublemaker is, big surprise, a DRMS - SecuROM. It installs a file extension which causes other programs, including the windows explorer to crash.
Now there is an easy solution to solve this. There is a small programm called ShellExView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html), which shows you all the extension files of your system and allows you to simply disable them. As soon as I disabled the SecuROM extension everything worked perfectly again...

What precisely, is the file extension we should be looking for?

It's called "CmdLineContextMenu Class" and the description says "SecuROM context menu for Explorer". So if your programs suddenly stop working it might be worth a try. Worked like a charm for me.

Thanks, I've downloaded it just in case, cause I'm using vista.

Back
Top Bottom