Kingdom Come - $2 Million Goal Reached

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Warhorse Studios announces the $2 Million Goal for Kingdom Come: Deliverance has been reached on the games website. The game will now have better voice overs.

The clever detectives among you must have realized… We reached our $2,000,000 goal! “Better Voiceovers”! And now we have defined our next stretch goal. Thank you guys for helping us reach this epic milestone!

There is no reason to stop this momentum. At $2,100,000 we will create an illustrated ingame codex. The Codex will contain true facts about the life and times of every pivotal person, including the stories behind each interesting location in the game.

This way we can maximize the immersion into our world. The codex shall be your guideline of the historical background of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Learn more about life in medieval Bohemia, the major players of the story as well as the civil war our hero Henry is cast into.
More information.

That's crazy. Two million...all for a game with a pre-chosen protagonist. And I think that's actually more than D:OS earned...

Well, I guess if it's what people want, who am I to criticize?

The only thing that worries me about this game is that it would be too compromised toward the console audience, although Daniel really understands the pitfalls of modern console RPGs. I can't see how what is basically Elder Scrolls + Mount & Blade with vibrant historical context can be anything but great.

If I were them though I would be more careful with the budget, although I understand they have a rich Russian oligarch funding them, for whom it seems to be a vanity project of some sort.

That's crazy. Two million…all for a game with a pre-chosen protagonist. And I think that's actually more than D:OS earned…

Normally I would agree with you but I want to play a historical RPG that actually has a story. Warband came close but it was primarily a sandbox game.

As for the pre-chosen protagonist I have mixed feelings though I'm used to the old RPG's like Gothic, and Risen so it wont bother me that much.

Though I understand others don't like pre-chosen protagonists. That's why I'm grateful for Bioware games as you get to choose who you play as.:)
If I were them though I would be more careful with the budget, although I understand they have a rich Russian oligarch funding them, for whom it seems to be a vanity project of some sort.
Yes the investor is one the worlds richest Billionaires. I'm also worried about funding because one of their recent updates said they are behind schedule.

It looked vaguely interesting at first, then I saw they are throwing money at voices. Blech, and pass!
It never was a text driven game like the Unity RPG's. The game is built using the Cryengine, and text only does not work. So this goal allows better voice actors.

Guess I'm one of the few on here that thinks this game has staggering potential. Bring on the codex!

It looks nice enough, but I'm not sure how interested I am in playing a "historically accurate" game. No magic, no monsters, just combat against human foes. I can't see it keeping my interest for as long as TES or other similar games.

It looks nice enough, but I'm not sure how interested I am in playing a "historically accurate" game. No magic, no monsters, just combat against human foes. I can't see it keeping my interest for as long as TES or other similar games.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy settings anymore, but it still beats the real world. I want my sense of wonder about not understanding the world when I go in. Historical or Present day realistic are my bottom two settings for any game. Some are so good I play them anyway, like the Total War games. But I can't wait for the Warhammer:Total War that's in the making...

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy settings anymore, but it still beats the real world. I want my sense of wonder about not understanding the world when I go in. Historical or Present day realistic are my bottom two settings for any game. Some are so good I play them anyway, like the Total War games. But I can't wait for the Warhammer:Total War that's in the making…

One could also say that plausibility and relatability makes it more immersive.

That's crazy. Two million…all for a game with a pre-chosen protagonist. And I think that's actually more than D:OS earned…

Well, Divinity's KS was mostly for finishing up certain details. We have no idea how much the development actually cost or how much the game actually made once released.

According to this article, they've sold over 500.000 units:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/12/divinity-original-sin-sells-over-500k-units

That's a lot more than $2M. Several times more, in fact.

Its not like that. There are three classes to choose from (bard, thief, warrior) and each one should have distinct gameplay. More distinct than most fantasy RPGs where you basically choose different skillset for combat (and sometimes for non-combat actions). Also the combat is different - you could see in videos that big battles are designed in more realistic and credible fashion because you are one fighter in an army. And that army has leaders and battles or sieges can last several hours or end in draw. You dont play medieval/fantasy Rambo who kill all monsters almost alone and save the world just by "heading forwards like tank". I find it immersive - and they achieved it because they sticked to historical reality instead of favoring usual fantasy-esque design.
(I like fantasy too but Im not fan of every generic element or approach.)

tomasp3n said:
I'm not a huge fan of fantasy settings anymore, but it still beats the real world. I want my sense of wonder about not understanding the world when I go in. Historical or Present day realistic are my bottom two settings for any game.

I doubt you know czech history and settings where KC take place. Its not some generic medieval world - KC aims for bigger depth and credibility. I know that sense of wonder you are talking about but I dont think every fantasy has it much. In both medieval and fantasy games there are many well known elements. So hardcore fan of historical games could easily use the same argument as you - that most fantasy ganes are generic and lacks the sense of wonder. What is more important for me is how much depth, ideas and attention to detail developers put into their games. What is their vision? KC could be elaborated, immersive game with good story set in historical world simulated like never before. I would definitely favor such game over any game build upon generic ideas and shallow world - regardless if its modern war or fantasy or anything.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ. Who are you indeed.

Hahaha. No russian oligarch involved. The guy funding them in Zdenek Bakala, one of the few Czech billionaires, one involved in many things, mostly energy industry.
His wife was the one who got involved in gaming industry originally, their investment into Warhorse are not their first gaming rodeo either.

Didn't they limit the scope of the game to just a chapter or something because of lack of funds? Now that they have it, methinks they should have gone back to the original plan of releasing the full game at once instead of putting the money into things like voice overs. Or is the full game thing back on already?

Its not like that. There are three classes to choose from (bard, thief, warrior) and each one should have distinct gameplay. More distinct than most fantasy RPGs where you basically choose different skillset for combat (and sometimes for non-combat actions). Also the combat is different - you could see in videos that big battles are designed in more realistic and credible fashion because you are one fighter in an army. And that army has leaders and battles or sieges can last several hours or end in draw. You dont play medieval/fantasy Rambo who kill all monsters almost alone and save the world just by "heading forwards like tank". I find it immersive - and they achieved it because they sticked to historical reality instead of favoring usual fantasy-esque design.
(I like fantasy too but Im not fan of every generic element or approach.)

Getting to choose between a bard, a thief, or a warrior makes it more distinct than most fantasy RPGs? If you say so. :)

I didn't claim that there wasn't any variety to it or that it's not enjoyable. It just doesn't cater to my particular interest. I hope the game is a success though.

Getting to choose between a bard, a thief, or a warrior makes it more distinct than most fantasy RPGs? If you say so. :)

You didnt pay much attention. I wrote that "each class should have more distinct gameplay", not that choosing from three classes makes it more distinct.
For example gameplay for bard should be very different from usual fantasy and usual design (usability) of bards in CRPGs. He is like "diplomat" and trickster, ready to get info, bribe, charm, lie, steal, with better access to castle and amongst high class than warrior and thief. But you wont go into battlefield like warrior… or maybe you could go (I dont know) in disguise but probably with heavy risks because you are not trained as warrior.

Didn't they limit the scope of the game to just a chapter or something because of lack of funds? Now that they have it, methinks they should have gone back to the original plan of releasing the full game at once instead of putting the money into things like voice overs. Or is the full game thing back on already?
No they have enough money for the full game, and if the game sells well we will see an expansion that extends the game with future chapters.

So let me repeat myself for who knows how many times already. Chapter one is the full game. The other two chapters will just extend the game.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Act I, as it is planned, is a full scale, stand-alone game. It has 30+ hours of gameplay, complete open world map, all quests and closed story line. Most (if not all) game mechanics described above will be included: horse riding, combat, castle sieges, there will be at least one large-scale battle. Acts II & III extend the story, add new environment in separate maps, new quests, gear and weapons. They will also add new quests to the map of Act I. It will be possible to travel between maps of all Acts, some quests will require you to visit all of them.

We definitely intend to make Acts II & III and release them as soon as possible. However, our funding and schedule does not reach past first Act. We will finalize our plans for the release of Acts II & III when we get closer to the release date of Act I. For these reasons we don’t want to offer and promise them as a Kickstarter reward in their own right. We want to use them as a token of our gratitude to higher tiers backers, but you should think about it more like 100% discount offer than a guaranteed reward.

No they have enough money for the full game, and if the game sells well we will see an expansion that extends the game with future chapters.

So let me repeat myself for who knows how many times already. Chapter one is the full game. The other two chapters will just extend the game.

So, if I understand correctly, the game they're putting out is only 1/3 of what was originally planned despite having full funding? I'm curious to see how they price it and how they price the other "chapters" if/when they're released.

One could also say that plausibility and relatability makes it more immersive.

Yes, one could say that. Just not for me.

I understand what you're saying too Farflame, and I don't mean I won't buy/play the game because of the realistic setting, I've played Mount&Blade 100+ hours without any magic or monsters. But if I could CHOOSE I would have both.

Last edited:
So, if I understand correctly, the game they're putting out is only 1/3 of what was originally planned despite having full funding? I'm curious to see how they price it and how they price the other "chapters" if/when they're released.

Original plan was to make a demo and sell the game to publishers, who would then fund whole game consisting of 3 acts and more than 80 hours of gameplay.

But after no publisher signed them, they made a deal with their investor that if they manage to suceed on kickstarter, he will fund the development of Act 1 (which is by itself bigger than most other games anyway, and has selfcontained story for the most part) and depending on its success (or lack thereof), the next two Acts will be funded (or not).
Considering that the team will probably need something around 500K copies sold to make profit, I think we can be pretty much 100% certain that the two further Acts will be created. It will sell 500K on PC itself, let alone consoles.

Back
Top Bottom