RPGWatch - Spiderweb Software Interview

Very happy with the Spiderweb games (including the graphics) - prefer them over BG and DA games: easy on the mind, my old eyes and fingers.

Avernum is far to small for me on my native resolution you can tell it was designed to be played on much smaller resolutions, even scaled down to 1440 x 900 it's still rather small!

I don't recall seeing this issue in Avadon though.

Daniel.

Ironically the best engine for tactical combat is Geneforge 4 because it allows out of combat tactical placement. You can scout ahead and set ambushes. I really liked Avadon but was frustrated the the interface streamlining which prevented most of my favorite tactics.

I tried a few demos, but just not a fan of the primitive graphics. I mean, they are good for a one man band, but they just are too primitive and repetitious for my taste. This isn't the 1990s anymore.

I think it would be fantastic if he was given a huge budget and could do one of his games in something cutting edge, like the unity engine, or whatever, something much more advanced than his games typically have regarding graphics...

I think the graphics on his latest games are fine. The major omission is that equipped armor/weapons don't show on your characters.

Cleaning up the clunky UI should be higher priority than graphics. Things like not being able to exit a screen by pushing the same key you used to get into it, the weird item pickup system, etc.

He keeps doing remakes because they are easier/quicker to make, and as he says, they sell well.

Avernum is far to small for me on my native resolution you can tell it was designed to be played on much smaller resolutions, even scaled down to 1440 x 900 it's still rather small!

I don't recall seeing this issue in Avadon though.

Daniel.

That's because he zooms out the view to re-use super low res assets over and over again. That's why it's eye-squinting.

He might want to cut costs, but when every game looks the game and functions the same it becomes too much.

Thanks for the interview ! :)

I wish I could have enough time to play an Avernum 1-6 marathon. Haven't played a single game in 2015 so far.

Moi non plus.

It's so difficult to find any time to play games. It's then hard to justify playing a series of games that all look and play the same.

En effet, playing the six games back to back would probably be overkill. :biggrin:

I still have 2 games to play in the Magic Candle series and two others in the Wizardry series before I start a new series anyway…

I'm a bit late to the party here, but thanks to our resident spud-man for this interesting interview! :) I'll definitely be starting Avernum 2: Crystal Souls after I finish Risen 3. (Should get some time this Easter holidays...)

Back
Top Bottom