Gothic 3 - Piranha Bytes PR seems to cancel the patch

Garrett

Watchdog
While it is only a small part of the press release Piranha Bytes has issued today about the end of the cooperation with JoWood, it seems to confirm, that there'll be no more patch for Gothic 3 now, which is good enough for a separate newsbit in my opinion:
Piranha Bytes können den von der Community vielfach geäußerten Wünschen nach inhaltlichen Veränderungen im Rahmen eines Patches nicht mehr nachkommen.
Es war angedacht, diesen Patch als Nebenprodukt während der Entwicklung eines AddOns oder eines weiteren Teiles (sowohl als Beigabe zu diesen Produkten als auch als free Download) zur Verfügung zu stellen.
Which means, that PB cannot ...well, Gorath translated this part earlier two newsbits below...
More information.

Thats it then. Its a market driven world..and we won't see any patch.

All I can say is: we are fucked. I have no sympathy for either side. I don't care about the business side or future games. All I know is that g3 is left unfinished and both sides are to be blamed for that. I like many others bought unfinished product in a hope that it would be patched,´and to show their gratitude for that they both left us dry.

The PR only rules out the expected GB patch. A small patch is still possible.

JoWooD says they want a patch and want to talk about handing over the finished pieces to another developer.

Which leads to the question how such a dev would gain access to the G3 source code. Aren´t the sources the last thing you want to hand over to the publisher?

In a post in world of gothic made by Michael Rüve he says that PB still has the (IP) rights to Gothic, but that Jowood also has some rights that would make it possible for Joowod to hire a new developer and get this developer to make a gothic 4 game.

As for the patch, let's hope for a small bugfix patch --- some months down the road when dust have settled....

It's a big mess we have now...nothing is confirmed or cancelled officially yet...and most likely, neither PB nor JoWood know anything about a patch so far (or any more)...still, not getting the promised big patch would still be a big disappointment, regardless of any reasons (or reason? =)).

The legalities of JW making a G4 while PB holds the IP rights, will not be simple, but they will be expensive!!

These developers and publishers are like bunch of 5 year old kids. "I won't do it because its YOUR FAULT". Their primary concern should have a happy customer and a quality product!!! Jw and pb need to realize how this mees is DAMAGING them both.

If they are unable to work together, fine go separate ways, but before that finish your damn job and show us some professional attitude.

PB's likely concern is having funding in place to keep operating. Keeping past customers happy must become secondary to putting in place the contracts / structure / tools to make sure they have an income in three months (or whatever).

Yeah, its hard to think of customers when if you don't get a contract you have to lay-off all your employees. The ones about to be laid off have bigger concerns than if some guy in Ohio has a couple bugs. I feel bad for them, but I also have to take this chance to point out another example of graphics ruining this game and people's lives. Shame on all of you. NWN 2, Gothic 3, what game be ruined and ruin lives due to graphics?

It's a fact, the cost of game development has skyrocketed in the last 5-10 years to the point that making a mainstream game is almost impossible unless you are a big developer. Can you really see a game get big mainstream success unless it has the pretty graphics and the professional voice acting and the polish?

Yeah, maybe you'd enjoy it, but is that big enough of a market these days?

PB's likely concern is having funding in place to keep operating. Keeping past customers happy must become secondary to putting in place the contracts / structure / tools to make sure they have an income in three months (or whatever).

I just hope that they *can* manage something ... I hope that everything wasn't tied up in the patch & expansion.

It's a fact, the cost of game development has skyrocketed in the last 5-10 years to the point that making a mainstream game is almost impossible unless you are a big developer.
Here's something else to consider, and this doesn't make it easier for PB, unfortunately. People who are able to get their products launched promptly and with reasonable quality, are in high demand. They don't have trouble finding a job. Given the choice, where do you think they would prefer to work? A place like Blizzard or a small company that ships buggy code and struggles to keep its doors open?

Headhunters began calling yesterday -- guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom