What is the worst collector's edition you've seen?

I did not know that they even made a CE for Fire Warrior. Did they really think that that game would generate enough interest to warrant one? Anyway, how was the mini? I can't seem to find a picture of it online.
Shame about the game, by the way. It is very rare to have a game from the alien's point of view, and when we finally got one, it turned out to be a sub-par FPS.
Not even sure if it really was a CE, but if I got the figure and you didn't (and it definitely was in my game box), then my edition was a DE = different edition at least :).
Hmmm, how was the mini ... I haven't seen it in ages. It's in one of the boxes which are home to my 40k troops, but I have no idea in which one as it's the only Tau I got and the boxes are sorted by army type. Anyway, it wasn't spectacular ... just a Tau youngster.
Sub-par? SUB-PAR? I played so many FPSes in my life, some good, some great, some bad, some ugly. I loved some, liked some, tolerated some and hated some, and I found redeeming features in some (if not most) of the latter category, even
... but Fire Warrior ... well ... even the sound files were rotten. IIRC there was only one FPS game I thought was worse: Angst (Rahz's Revenge).

I had to look up Angst, and that really does look like a horrible game.

I can't quite understand the hate for Fire Warrior though. Sure, the game was nothing outstanding, but it was not broken, and it had acceptable graphics. From a technical point of view, the game worked just fine (at the time of its release, that is). Where it suffered was in its bland level design, uninspired enemies and poor adherence to its source material (a pulse rifle is less powerful than a las pistol?). Had it not been a 40k game, I would have forgotten all about it (heck, I often forget to list it when I list games based on that licence), it just left no impression on me, one way or the other.

Where it suffered was in its bland level design, uninspired enemies and poor adherence to its source material
The latter was what killed it for me. I mean, turn the first corner and you run into a Comissar. They are supposed to be rare, no? Well, turn the next corner and meet the next Commissar. And the next. And so on. - If it hadn't been 40k, I might have found it acceptable, but this really was one of the few shooters I couldn't finish just because I couldn't stomach what they did to the source material.

I mean, there once was a game called 'Mortail Coil'. It was one of the first attempts at a 1st person small group tac shooter, and while it was very sloppily programmed, extremely buggy and quite ugly at that, the good ideas and concepts make me remember it kinda fondly despite the mess they made. I mean, I could send characters on certain duty tours with sets of orders and I could define waypoints for my colleagues (like I could three or four years later in the SWAT and Rainbow Six games). Heck, they even had multi-angle FMVs, and it was absolutely necessary to use the feature to learn what was really going on … ! Okay, so the game crashed all the time, saves were corrupted, it was unplayable unpatched because crucial equipment wasn't working the way it was supposed to work, and so on. But I'd still try to replay it if it came out in a stable version. Fire Warrior, not so much.

Those were not commissars though, but rather officers (if you are referring to the people with las pistols & chainswords). They were still annoying though, as they could take far too much damage, without being much of a threat apart from that fact.

They looked like Commissars, though. I have several types of 40k army troops, and the only officers with even remote resemblance to those guys in the game are those of the Mordian army. But even they don't look like Commissars while those in the game did, and very much at that. - And those horrible, standard sound library chainsaw sounds ... no, I just didn't like the game.

I quite liked the steelbox version of RtCW, but this thread is about bad CEs, so ... hmmm ... it may not have been a CE at all, but my regular edition of the 3D anaglyph shooter Depth Dwellers came without 3D paper glasses.

Back then when there were no "Collector's Editions" out there at all, my first or second full-price game I bought was a Blues Brothers Jump & Run game with plastic sunglasses. Yeah.

Their uniforms had the wrong colour though. There is one (or two, depending on if we consider the really old fluff canonical) standard(s) that all commissars are expected to follow, and while they are allowed to adapt a bit to their surroundings, they are never officially a part of a regiment, and thus won't wear its colour. The officers in Fire Warrior all have uniforms that matches their regiment, though their uniform design is similar to that of a commissar. The regiments that can be found in Fire Warrior are not previously known, and as each regiment is allowed to chose its own uniform, it is not unimaginable that they opted to let their officers have commissar-like uniforms, to instill respect or fear.

Sounds right, Fnord, but even if they were just army officers there still were far too many of them around IMO, and I was really disappointed by Fire Warrior (btw, are there still Commissar Training Squads in WH40k? I stopped buying the stuff shortly after the 3rd Ed. came out).

Well, I just looked through my games and 40k stuff and discovered both the game box and the figure. The figure's name is 'Collector's Edition 'Kais'', it wasn't available in GW stores, and there's a pic of a painted version in the thread linked here:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=65907
According to the small print on my box, the first 8.000 boxes of the Fire Warrior PC game contained the figure.

They might have been sergeants, and then there should have been roughly 1/10 (if they want to be consistent with how it works in tabletop, though some regiments have more, and some have far less, there is no real standardization in IG, not even in regards to what weapons they use), but yes I agree, it felt like there were too many of them. I'm not defending the game itself though, there is no real reason to play it.
No, the commissar cadet/training squads were sadly removed from the game with the release of 3rd edition, and have never been re-introduced (as far as I know). You could probably represent them by using veterans or even penal legions though. I've not played 40k in about a year though, I switched over to battletech, as I was more than a tad bit annoyed by how GW treated their games (the current armies are rather bloated. While I do welcome the fact that they are trying to give people more options, it feels like they are not even trying to balance things, so at times it feels like playing 5th edition fantasy all over again. And they also made transports a no-brainer, which means that all you face at the moment is transport based armies), so they might have re-introduced them since, though I doubt it. GW dislikes introducing new units outside of new codexes these days (so there is even less of a reason to buy WD).

That is an alright model. It would probably have looked better with a helmet on though. Its choice of weapon makes it unsuitable for actual use (pulse carbines are utter junk)

Back
Top Bottom