D:OS my opinion after finishing the first town

Divinity: Original Sin

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch
Many people consider Dragon Age: Origin the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. I never felt that way when I played it. It was a fun game, but to my mind it wasn't in the same family. Divinity Original Sin does make me feel like I'm playing an updated Baldur's Gate. I'm loving this game so far!

Having said that, I do have some issues and wants with the game and what I've played:
- Travel: I don't mind the speed of traveling as many seem to do, but I really wished I could click on the map and the party went there. Unless I'm missing it, this is something I would really like.

- Selling: It's cumbersome currently. There should either be a way to mark an item as 'to sell', so when I do a trade, there could be an option to sell everything marked that way. If not that, they could use bags, which right now they're underutilized. I put stuff that I want to sell in a bag, but in the trade window I can't open that bag, so useless that way.

- Spellcasting: I lost count the number of times I had selected a spell to cast, and then decided to cast another spell and clicked on it, except that the game decides to take it as me wanting to cast the spell on the terrain that's under the shortcut bar... totally retarded.

- Trading: I think it's probably a bug, when you hover over an item it shows you the corresponding item of the leader instead of the person currently selected, so I have to quit the trade, select the other person and open the trade again.

- Crafting: I like there are so many options, but the system needs to be redone as it's totally obscure as it is currently.

- Terrain effects and movement in combat: Outside combat, when you click on a spot, the pathing is smart enough so that nobody steps on bad things (lava, mines, etc). But in combat it's not that way. Several times I've been doing great in a difficult battle, and then I click on somewhere for a member to move and he goes and runs over a spot of lava, doing 30400 damage... Weak!

- Chests: I don't mind that the content of stuff is randomized, but I would much prefer if the randomization came when starting a new game. I know I can just not do it, but I'm weak... I would open a chest (specially ornate ones), and if loot is lame, I would reload and open it again, which is cheating in my mind, but I can't stop it :) besides it's meta-gaming.

So tomorrow I'm bound to the second map, just made level 10 with my group: my version of 'shaman warrior' (Water/Man-at-arms 1-handed+shield/Witchcraft), my version of 'ranger' (bow/Earth) and the two normal companions (full Man-at-arms 2-handed and the wizard fire/air/water). So far so good.

Those two things you spotted on spellcasting and trading are just minor bugs. They'll correct them soon.

You need to cancel the spell by right click first but still the quickbar shouldn't behave like an area to cast a spell onto.
Also while trading if started with NPC A and moved to NPC B and then NPC C, the bonuses from charisma and barter are still applied from NPC A.

Terrain effects on the other hand in the game is not a bug and your enemies (some) know that they'll instakill you if they move you on lava and etc. And they do that!
Weak? No, it's actually fantastic.
Buy, learn and use tornado spell to clear lava or whatnot. Or use feather spell or something to drop mobs on that same lava! :evilgrin:

Last edited:
I'm happy I'm still waiting to buy the game ! I'm sure I'll have much more fun next year, when everyone will be finished with all the bêta testings :)

Terrain effects on the other hand in the game is not a bug and your enemies (some) know that they'll instakill you if they move you on lava and etc. And they do that!
Weak? No, it's actually fantastic.
Buy, learn and use tornado spell to clear lava or whatnot. Or use feather spell or something to drop mobs on that same lava! :evilgrin:

No don't get me wrong, I'm ok with lava being there, but when I click on somewhere for the character to move, it should use the same pathfinding they use for out-of-combat, or at least maybe they could show that you're going to cross over something (if it's visible of course) when moving the mouse to select a destination.

I'm happy I'm still waiting to buy the game ! I'm sure I'll have much more fun next year, when everyone will be finished with all the bêta testings :)
I think you're misinterpreting me there, I'm loving the game to no end, easily my favorite game of the year and (excluding Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings 2) my favorite of the last several years. As for actual bugs I haven't found any yet. Those are just things I would like changed.

All I'm saying that AI pathfinding disabled during the fight is probably intended as some people would object that their character doesn't want to walk over for example burning area although they've pumped 100% resistance on fire.

Gloo, what beta testing are you talking about? There is no critical bug in the game, there are just minor annoyances and most of those you'll spot only if you're nitpicking.
If you're onto new NPCs that'll be added, well… Say that you're waiting for the bonus content, not betatest.
Simply the game is not like Skyrim where even after the final patch the main quest is left bugged on two points that prevent you from finishing it ever (unless you unpack sound data and whatnot).

Also while trading if started with NPC A and moved to NPC B and then NPC C, the bonuses from charisma and barter are still applied from NPC A.
This might be on purpose: You start the conversation with the person with highest barter and can still sell from everybody's inventory. Otherwise you would have to move everything you plan to sell to that person first.

Love the game, by the way. M&M X and D:OS are my favourite RPGs this year.

Even if it is on purpose - they could have just made it in a way the store has prices based on the best barter value that appears in the party, not based on the character who triggered the chat. ;)

Still it's a minor thing and doesn't really need addressing. You'll have tons of cash all the time so bartering bonuses are pretty much irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom