Blackguards - Win an Early Access Deluxe Edition @RPGWatch!

It's better because after all the world is turn based ( in 4th dimension ;) )

More fun to plan your actions in turnbased mode rather than just spam clicking the attack button as you often tend to do in real time. Especially if you got a lot of different "powers" available it's more easy to pick the right one in turn based mode. Almost all of my favorite RPG's have been turned based.

Can't I write instead why hexagonal tiles are better than tetragonal tiles? No?

(Or why absolute initiative systems are better than relative initiative systems? No to that, too?)

Erm, so why is turn-based combat better than real-time combat? I'm drawing a blank. :p

Cause I like it slow or fast as the fancy takes me. :D

Daniel.

I don't know if turn based is better but I do know I'm getting frustrated with fast based clicking combat myself. I was replaying a few strategy games, and the constant bonus popup objectives got annoying.

So by all means give it to the slow pokes as you all will be one someday yourself.;)

There is also the issue of drinking while playing RPGs. Turn Based allows me to slowly savour scotch while contemplating my next move. This alone is sufficient for me to prefer Turn Based games (RPGs, strategy etc) over Real time clickfests even without considering all the technical superio4ity of turn based mechanics. :cool:

Real combat is horrifying, who wants to risk actual death? I'd take a turn based video game any day.

That was what you were asking, right? :)

(Hope this made the cutoff time.)

The contest is open until noon (CET) tomorrow. That's ca. 20 hours from now.

I get tired of twitch combat all the time. I like thinking and planning.
A good mixture of the two is preferable.

TB is not more tactical. You can pause every round in RTwP if you so wish.

It's slower - you can't unpause. You have to wait for each little cockroach to make its move, then hit ONE roach and then sit back and wait another minute till all insects have made their move again.

TB is crap.

Precise manual pausing in RTwP has been wonky in every RTwP game I've played, except those with autopause options (like the BG series).

I wont accept RTwP without clearly defined autopause capabilities and options.

I like turn based better because it usually comes with more strategic depth. You can allow more than a few choices because you have time to pick between choices.

"Why is turn-based combat better than real-time combat?"
I'm reading this and the following idea comes to my mind: I'm playing XCom. My soldier is really close to an alien and he is behind cover. I check the shot: 90%, "Go fot it!" I think. He shoots. He misses. Not only that: The missed shot destroys a wall behind the alien and my soldier gets in the LOS of an 'overwatch mode' alien. The ugly crap shots. He kills my guy.
You understand now? That's it! For the swearing!!!! I don't have to pause the game, I have my whole turn to scream at the screen the most profane thing that come to my mind about their families, to stand up and jump on my place, etc.
And after that, move my other soldier and nuke those two bastards with a rocket launcher. No realtime crap can beat that.

Turn-based combat can be better than real-time because it gives time to appreciate the options available to the characters and how they are related to the weaknesses of the enemies and the complexities of the combat rules. There's time to weigh each choice.

Real-time combat can simulate well how chaotic combat can become, so that one must make quick decisions even if they are suboptimal. The downside is that interesting special abilities may remain unused in the most hectic, desperate situations, where they could have been needed the most.

And it's over. No more entries after this post.

I'll draw and announce the winners later this evening.

Back
Top Bottom