Dark Souls - First Impressions

@ GBG From my experience your closest are probably Firelink and two others in Undead Parish, the second of which is a little harder to reach. You'll know why once you get to the huge Bridge. :)
The first Undead Parish bonfire is very handy indeed and became one of my go-to places of choice (as well as Firelink) through the early part of the game.

Thanks DeepO for the extra DLC info; clarifies alot. I also ended up checking the dark souls wiki, since I was utterly clueless after not being able to find the summoning spot. :) It is a bit of a daft piece of design as it's not exactly easy to join the dots.

Once I'd allocated myself a broken pendant, I returned to the location in question and had myself some wonderful fun with the first boss, the Sanctuary Guardian.
An exceptional encounter, to be sure.
My mind instantly teleported back to first reading the fighting fantasy "Deathtrap Dungeon" as a kid, since it also features a memorable fight with a Manticore.

At first, I couldn't time a swing to save myself or make any kind of successful strike and died quite a few times thinking I had no chance to win it. I had to be both patient and observant in this battle, as it does give you tiny windows of opportunity that you have to take advantage of. Having half decent lightning protection helps too! ;) It was just nice to have a big space to play with again (not unlike the Sif fight) giving the whole combat a very striking feeling. The creature has this way of pausing and slowly pacing at certain moments...really nice vibes!

P.S: Feel free to put the extra locations I've missed in spoiler tags by the way. :)

You'll get to know the Undead Burg inside and out during the early game. After that, the Undead Parish as well. Doing cycle sweeps between the bonfire in the 'Burg all the way up to the misty gate in the tower was a very common way for me to gather souls early on.

Oddly enough, I hadn't been to the Undead Burg until today. For some reason I either never noticed the stairs that lead to it, or I thought they were just part of the background.

Talk about a huge difference. After trying in vain to explore those other areas, the Burg is like a vacation. My Bandit with his battle axe kills most of the normal enemies there with a single blow, and I've already amassed several thousand souls.

I'm assuming I should probably start upgrading some stats soon. It doesn't seem like a good idea to stockpile too many souls considering that means I have more to potentially lose.

My biggest gripe so far is the lack of a pause feature. It doesn't make sense to me that there's no way to pause the game even in offline mode.

The creature has this way of pausing and slowly pacing at certain moments…really nice vibes!
After the two (centipede and bed) of the few boss encounters I consider not well designed the DLC should be a treat :). All of its bosses are top notch and some of the best the game has to offer, at least in my opinion.
P.S: Feel free to put the extra locations I've missed in spoiler tags by the way. :)
Alright, here it goes:
First the Firelink stuff I´ve been hinting at.
You need to reach the crow´s nest. Take the elevator from Firelink to Parish, once it starts to go up turn around and jump off to the otherwise unreachable part of the structure. From there you need to roll down on one of the ruined tower´s columns.
From the tower you can also reach a key on the roof which, while "optional", eventually gets you access to a quite useful item (though not at such late stage you´re in).
The nest is near the top of the tower, "curl into a ball" and wait what happens.
You´ll find yourself in a certain familiar area - exploring it will result in, among other things, a doll in your pocket. Also, near the point of arrival there´s a second, smaller nest where you can barter for items in a unique way (you need to drop an item in it, die and then return there to get your reward).
The doll opens a cool area accessible from the bottom of Anor Londo´s chapel (the building with the guys in white).

The other two areas are accessible from the swamp. From the swamp bonfire run left and after a short while you should see a big tree and a big root/path leading in (you likely already were there). Go up the root, run inside the tree and strike the walls to reveal a hidden path. Take the path and strike the wall right behind the chest that rests at the end of it to reveal another hidden path that leads to the first of the two areas, Great Hollow (traversing Great Hollow will lead you to the second area).
The only way I imagine someone can discover this without help is
1. thinking the loot in the tree is suspiciously crappy so there might be more to it and 2. striking the chest in case it´s a mimic and accidentally striking the wall behind it
Talk about a really well hidden secret :).

All three areas are unique and very atmospheric so it´s definitely worth visiting them.

I'm assuming I should probably start upgrading some stats soon. It doesn't seem like a good idea to stockpile too many souls considering that means I have more to potentially lose.
Based on my experience with both Demon's and Dark Souls - I'd say that assumption is correct. Stockpiling souls only seems useful if you have something you are saving up for like an expensive item / spell. Otherwise I upgrade stats as soon as I can afford it. All it takes is two consecutive deaths (without retrieving them) to lose them all.

Based on my experience with both Demon's and Dark Souls - I'd say that assumption is correct.

What's your opinion of Demon's Souls? I'm currently trying to snag a copy on Ebay.

I played it briefly when it was released, but I didn't think much of it back then. Now that I'm finally beginning to understand the appeal of Dark Souls, I'm also interested in giving Demon's Souls another try.

What's your opinion of Demon's Souls? I'm currently trying to snag a copy on Ebay.

I played it briefly when it was released, but I didn't think much of it back then. Now that I'm finally beginning to understand the appeal of Dark Souls, I'm also interested in giving Demon's Souls another try.
I really liked Demon's Souls. I tried to finish it before jumping into Dark Souls but couldn't resist playing Dark Souls after hearing so many talking about it. I got quite far in Demon's Souls though and enjoyed every bit of it. I'll probably try to get back to it sometime.

The core gameplay style and atmosphere are very similar between the two titles - so I'd say if you like Dark Souls you'll enjoy Demon's Souls. Dark Souls added some refinements (graphically and gameplay-wise) as well as the zoneless open world kind of setup. Demon's Souls instead had a central hub with portals to different areas.

But it's definitely worth playing both titles, in my opinion. These are my two favorite games for the PS3.

Man that was dumb. I made it to the fog gate on the undead burg, but I didn't feel up for the obviously coming boss fight because I had lots of souls on me. Of course the damn fog gate didn't let me back out. So I thought I would be smart and used the dark sign the fist time, assuming it would only consume SOME of my humanity and souls to teleport me back. Of course it took all. When would that ever be useful, you might just as well get yourself killed, which is probably easier, and you can at least try to recover your souls that way...

Got my first taste of the Taurus demon just a few moments ago. Or I should say he got his first taste of me… chewed me up and spit me out like a piece of stale gum.

I thought I'd be slick and climb the tower behind me when I got back to him the second time. Hmm…no. Didn't quite work out the way I planned. I'm done playing for tonight, but I think I can already see a possible strategy for him.

I'm starting to accumulate a fair amount of duplicate weapons, etc., from loot drops. Is there any use for extra items in this game? I'm guessing there aren't any merchants that will buy stuff from me.

Got my first taste of the Taurus demon just a few moments ago. Or I should say he got his first taste of me… chewed me up and spit me out like a piece of stale gum.

I thought I'd be slick and climb the tower behind me when I got back to him the second time. Hmm…no. Didn't quite work out the way I planned. I'm done playing for tonight, but I think I can already see a possible strategy for him.

Hehe, right now we are proceeding pretty much in parallell. I have no doubt you will soon leave me far behind, though.

I'm starting to accumulate a fair amount of duplicate weapons, etc., from loot drops. Is there any use for extra items in this game? I'm guessing there aren't any merchants that will buy stuff from me.
I'm wondering this as well - Is it worth keeping any weapons or armor that aren't better than what I already have (so far I only found junk, except for a crossbow)?

Hehe, right now we are proceeding pretty much in parallell. I have no doubt you will soon leave me far behind, though.

Nah… this is just a test run for me, and I'll be starting over soon. I'm still undecided on what class I'm going to play when I'm ready to get serious. (I'm starting to think that Bandit might not be the best choice for a first-timer.)

I'm trying not to get too sucked in right now because I want to start playing Dead Space 3 as soon as it's released next week. I'm starting to see that Dark Souls is seriously addicting though. :)

When you get a few spare souls, be sure to purchase the bottomless box to store all of your spare items that you don't wish to carry around with you. It's a convenient storage method and helps you keep a lower carry weight until other more interesting disposably rewarding means become available. :)

When you get a few spare souls, be sure to purchase the bottomless box to store all of your spare items that you don't wish to carry around with you. It's a convenient storage method and helps you keep a lower carry weight until other more interesting disposably rewarding means become available. :)

Hmm, that doesn't anwer the question directly, but I assume that means there IS a use for items somewhere down the lin. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if the undead merchant in the burg has this. Should get bolts for my crossbow anyway.

Hmm, that doesn't anwer the question directly, but I assume that means there IS a use for items somewhere down the lin. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if the undead merchant in the burg has this. Should get bolts for my crossbow anyway.

You have to love the merchant's laugh in the undead burg, hehehehe>:O

I killed him once (I wouldn't recommend it to keep your supplies of arrows/bots and bombs), and got a nice prize!

So I thought I would be smart and used the dark sign the fist time, assuming it would only consume SOME of my humanity and souls to teleport me back. Of course it took all. When would that ever be useful, you might just as well get yourself killed, which is probably easier, and you can at least try to recover your souls that way…
Yeah, its value is pretty much symbolic (it "triggers" every time you die).
Besides that, I think it was put to the game mainly as a fail-safe for an occasion player gets stuck in terrain without any means to warp or die (never happened to me).
Using it to warp to bonfire is a bit different from dying though -
a) you don´t loose the human form when using it
b) it doesn´t leave the bloodstain, but using it also doesn´t erase the bloodstain you may have dropped previously, so there may be some use for it in case you´re trying to retrieve a bloodstain, find yourself low on health and don´t have other means of warping

Hmm, yes, that makes sense, it could be useful in these special cases.

I started a new test run today with a Pyromancer.

Not too impressed with the fireball spell. It's powerful, but the range sucks, and it takes way too long to cast. I can already see it would be useless in boss battles if your opponent has any kind of speed, and I'm guessing most of them do.

I beat the black knight in the Undead Burg on my first try with him though. I just hit him with 4 or 5 fireballs from a rooftop and then finished him with melee. I'm not looking forward to trying to beat him with a melee only character.

I started a new test run today with a Pyromancer.

Not too impressed with the fireball spell. It's powerful, but the range sucks, and it takes way too long to cast. I can already see it would be useless in boss battles if your opponent has any kind of speed, and I'm guessing most of them do.

I beat the black knight in the Undead Burg on my first try with him though. I just hit him with 4 or 5 fireballs from a rooftop and then finished him with melee. I'm not looking forward to trying to beat him with a melee only character.

Well done, it took me 3 trials to kill him. Take his sword, it is one of the best swords that you can use (if you have enough strength and stamina).

I also agree about the fireball spells. However, once you "free the pyromancer", you will be able to upgrade them and buy additional variations of pyromancy. So keep the pyromancy handy - he said!

He didn't drop any weapons, only a titanite shard. I'm guessing the sword is a random loot drop?

How far into the game will I have to go to get better pyromancy spells? I didn't plan on taking my Pyromancer much farther.

I beat the Taurus Demon a short while ago. It was only my third try overall and my first with my Pyromancer. I'm still sort of surprised to be honest. From all the hype I had heard about him, I thought it would take me a lot longer. It was obvious what needed to be done, but I wasn't sure if I could do it right away.

Long story short: I never got to even kill the Taurus Demon. I came close the first few times. After that I got sloppy, or else I was trying too hard to emulate youtube videos I'd seen. I ended up on my fourth character after reading the forums extensively… a pyromancer… I still couldn't beat the fu***cking taurus demon. I was literally dreaming about this game by now. I was becoming short tempered towards my wife, the one person who I really love on this earth.

I tried grinding out more levels on the sly… late at night after my beloved wife was asleep. Still getting killed. F***ck this I thought. Leveling doesn't do much iot seems.

One last rage quit. It was seven days after getting the game.

Pfft….

Couldn't resist. ;)

Good job, mate. See, I knew your skills would be up to the task. ;)

Thanks largely to DeepO's tips, I made it to the sparsely remote and alien beauty of Ash Lake.

Wandered around for a bit and just contemplated why Dark Souls is a worthy gaming experience. It's certainly well and truly filled my extra summer gaming time, which unfortunately is fast drawing to an end.

From the exploration, its moody landscapes, the quasi-existential angst of its inhabitants and the singular wanderer, to the combat itself and the rituals involved in preparing for bosses. Whilst it's not a style of game I could play all the time, I've really had a fondly grand time with it. Yet there is still seemingly so much left to explore. I'm not done just yet. :) The DLC areas appear quite open and remind me a little of the Darkroot Garden/Basin only expanded.

I also finally explored the Painting World of Ariamas, but decided in the end to let the boss live at its conclusion. Interesting to see if there are any consequences for doing this.
Four Kings still stands in my way...

Back
Top Bottom