UK: Graveyard becomes parking lot.

Bateman

Watchdog
RPGWatch Donor
Shocking news of the day for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z6o5Ccwb0A

Is this true? If it is, I'm not only displeased; I am very sad and convinced that, unfortunately, the UK will become the second caliphate in Europe, right after the Netherlands, by the end of this century. *sigh* :sniff:

Can't watch videos at work, so I'm curious as to exactly how a graveyard becoming a parking lot means that the UK will be overwhelmed by Islam . . .

I'm surprised that these sort of sites aren't protected. Whatever people's stance on religion is, I think we can all recognize that these sort of places should be preserved.

It doesn't really matter if it is a mosque or a supermarket. The point is that once these places are gone, they're gone forever. No one ever rips up parking lots to make a forest or recreate a lost national treasure.

This reminds me of were I grew up. There was an old house from the 1800's that was infamous for a massacre of a family by a farm hand. The townspeople hanged him from a tree still in the town park and made grisly souvenirs from his skin such as a wallet. So what happened to this relic? It was torn down and made into a bank... even though there's a bank across the street and a bank next door.

People die all the time. Basic math reveals that it's impossible to treat sites as holy forever just because people have buried people in it.

I'm not talking about holy sites or whether things are empty. My point is that a town finds very quickly that there's nothing interesting about rows of strip malls and parking lots. The town I grew up in had many historical sites that have been torn down to make way for "progress" and the sites that haven't been torn apart only exist because they're protected, though we certainly have politicians who would love to sell them off. A town can lose it's character and sense of pride when it's historic sites are destroyed. Even if by historic site we mean the first mill to be made or an old barn that was used as a war time hospital. Little things that are interesting only to the locals.

When they're gone, they're gone for good and nothing will ever bring them back.

Is this true? If it is, I'm not only displeased; I am very sad and convinced that, unfortunately, the UK will become the second caliphate in Europe, right after the Netherlands, by the end of this century. *sigh* :sniff:

Make sure to check under your bed. Might be a few of them Mooslims there, plotting about the Caliphate and practicing their heathen rites.

For his credit, it does sound too strange coincidence the moment the ownership was given to foreigners, they start demolishing the place and building on the land. It's hard to imagine every foreigner has respect to local historical monuments, when every local might not share that sentiment either. Whatever they tell the press.
jemy said:
People die all the time. Basic math reveals that it's impossible to treat sites as holy forever just because people have buried people in it.
I'd say the same when eventually there's no suitable land left to build new graveyards. But I don't know how thinly populated Manchester or UK generally is. In Finland, there has been enough land to build new graveyards…
zakhal said:
In here they "empty" the graves after 10-16 years or so iirc. They dont keep them forever. They need to free space for new bodies.
Does the Church have that kind of policy with latest graveyards? IIRC I have seen old graveyards with birthdates dating back to the beginning of the last century in Middle Finland.
thoth said:
My point is that a town finds very quickly that there's nothing interesting about rows of strip malls and parking lots. The town I grew up in had many historical sites that have been torn down to make way for "progress" and the sites that haven't been torn apart only exist because they're protected, though we certainly have politicians who would love to sell them off.
In a society with population that has 5 minute time spans, I wouldn't clear historical land marks either.

Next up: The history books cut in half. They are more and more harder to read for each lazier and lazier generation.

I'm starting to see Orwellian nightmares again. :-/

Does the Church have that kind of policy with latest graveyards? IIRC I have seen old graveyards with birthdates dating back to the beginning of the last century in Middle Finland.

I dont know about old ones (are they considered historical sites now?) but new ones yes unless youre willing to pay extra.

Arshad Nawaz, trustee of the charity that runs the centre, stressed that no grave had been disturbed.

"As Muslims we very strongly believe in the sanctity of mankind," he said.

"We have never and will never intentionally disrespect or desecrate any grave regardless of its age and regardless of the caste creed or religion of the deceased."

It's the creeping islamic menace! What next, will my wife have to wear a burkha now?

Yours sincerely

Outraged of Tunbridge Wells.

I'm surprised that these sort of sites aren't protected. Whatever people's stance on religion is, I think we can all recognize that these sort of places should be preserved.

It doesn't really matter if it is a mosque or a supermarket. The point is that once these places are gone, they're gone forever. No one ever rips up parking lots to make a forest or recreate a lost national treasure.

We've been around for a while, dying and being buried.

If every bit of land ever used for a graveyard has to be preserved we'll be screwed, we're hardly an enormous country.

Back
Top Bottom