DA:Inquisition - Jeff Vogel Reviews the Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Indie developer Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb Software took the time out of his busy schedule to peen his thought on Dragon Age: Inquisition with a new post on his blog.

I have long been vocal about my love for the Dragon Age series, so, of course, I can't let Dragon Age: Inquisition (DA:I) pass without going on about it a lot. I've only played through the main storyline once, but, since that's like 800 hours of play, I've been at it long enough to have some opinions.

I'm also writing this to try to draw eyeballs towards my new RPG, Avernum 2: Crystal Souls. Pushing my own game by saying nice things about someone else's is probably a bad idea, but I've always been terrible at marketing.

I really do love the game. (Some people have accused me of trying to get a job at Bioware for saying things like that, which is not true and kind of weird. But whatever.) It does well all the things Dragon Age should do well. It does a lot better at things it's done poorly in the past. It's huge and a hoot.

I estimate that you, the reader, have a 50% chance of being angry at me now.
More information.

I estimate that you, the reader, have a 50% chance of being angry at me now.

Now that is what i call humor.
And I agree, it is great game.

Yeah I like that last part also as it applies to me when I post Bioware news-bits.:biggrin:

Love his take on things, and also how he is very funny and upfront about the timing of his post :)

I've only played through the main storyline once
Until he plays through the Hinterlands once, all of them not just the first one, I can't take take his thoughts seriously. Sorry.

Well I'm not angry with him I just disagree. To be honest the game isn't so bad but the pc interface sucks and the combat is not that fun. D:OS shows you fun combat.

What a great write up. I learnt more there about why I should get round to playing the game than in all the reviews I have read.

Jeff Vogel is right in one point in that you don't have to do all the stuff the game has to offer.

I have stopped bothering with crafting hence no longer gathering. Also ignoring some of the fetch type side quest and all the find shard types quest as well. By doing this, I am progressing with the main story and game bit faster and I am enjoying it more so than before.

Having said that I am bit worried that maybe one of those fetch type side quest can lead to some interesting side quest!

Does he stop talking about himself at some point and actually talk about DA:I?

jk

Fantastic write-up. Vogel is spot-on. Inquisition is an AMAZING game. I feel really sorry for people who don't like it...sorry joxer, but there is so much to love in DAI.

And Vogel is so totally right about content. DAI gives players CHOICES. You can spend 25 hours exploring if you want or spend 2 hours going through the main quests in an area. That is role playing! I choose how I play.

Anyway, I've only explored 3 areas so far, but I am in love with this game. It is so well-crafted. The areas are totally worth exploring. DAI is pretty much everything I want from an epic single-player RPG, although as Vogel states there is always a lot of room for improvement.

"Jeff Vogel is right in one point in that you don't have to do all the stuff the game has to offer."

No no, I must ... I must ... I have to get those last dozen shards ... ! Noooooooo.

Inquisition is an AMAZING game. I feel really sorry for people who don't like it.

Why do you feel sorry for people that don't like what you like? At the end of the day does it make the game or whatever you like any better if everyone feels the same way you do about it?

TIL: Jeff Vogel feels sorry for me. I feel sorry for him too.

Considering how Bioware-lite the Avadon games were stylistically at times, this blog entry does actually make a great deal of sense. I've not played DA3 yet however, so I'm not really in a position to fully agree or disagree. Nonetheless, it makes fun interesting reading.

Why do you feel sorry for people that don't like what you like? At the end of the day does it make the game or whatever you like any better if everyone feels the same way you do about it?

We only get a handful of epic AAA RPG offerings each year. Some years we get none. In 2014 for example, Inquisition was pretty much the only high-graphical-fidelity story-driven AAA RPG. So, I feel sorry for someone who can't enjoy the best RPG in the AAA scene.

Feeling sorry for them has nothing to do with nonsense ad populum fallacies. On the flipside, just because the masses DO enjoy a game doesn't mean the game is bad. Inqusition is one of those rare cases where it has huge appeal because it is just that good in my opinion. All the criticisms I've heard have been nitpicks and quibbles...I just feel sorry for people who get hung up on quibbles. Does that make me evil (lawful?)?

"Jeff Vogel is right in one point in that you don't have to do all the stuff the game has to offer."

No no, I must … I must … I have to get those last dozen shards … ! Noooooooo.

Hehe I know the feeling. I was like that at the start but somehow manged to shrug off my shard addiction!

We only get a handful of epic AAA RPG offerings each year. Some years we get none. In 2014 for example, Inquisition was pretty much the only high-graphical-fidelity story-driven AAA RPG. So, I feel sorry for someone who can't enjoy the best RPG in the AAA scene.

Feeling sorry for them has nothing to do with nonsense ad populum fallacies. On the flipside, just because the masses DO enjoy a game doesn't mean the game is bad. Inqusition is one of those rare cases where it has huge appeal because it is just that good in my opinion. All the criticisms I've heard have been nitpicks and quibbles…I just feel sorry for people who get hung up on quibbles. Does that make me evil (lawful?)?

Never mind then.

Why doesn't Bioware hire Jeff Vogel as master game designer already?

Win-win situation for both parties involved if you think about it.

Back
Top Bottom