Witcher 2 The Witcher 2 first impressions

The Witcher 2
The biggest letdown of this game is the storage, or rather the lack of it.
As you now will be using a wider variety of potions etc, you need to carry a lot more stuff.
Unfortunately some genius at CDP decided for god knows what reason, that the global chest that used to be located in inns is no longer in the game.
So there is really no use in searching every nook and cranny, as you soon become overloaded as there is no place to store loot you currently do not have a need for.
Note:
There is a choice during one of the preview scenes, by choice I mean a hidden outcome which grants +50 carrying capacity.
Aryan

First impressions, alright, here goes:

I'm about 2.5 hours in, completed the first 4 steps of the prologue.

It looks great, no doubts, my computer can almost run high smoothly, just a tad jerky now and then but I had texture popping on medium and it drove me nuts. Just for reference, Phenom II x4 920 & a GTX 260.

Story is good so far.

Don't believe anything you read about this being exclusively a PC game, the UI was designed to work for a joystick on consoles, no doubt about it. The UI is not nearly as immersive as the originals. Big blank screens with boring circles to click on. Think Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol. No mouseovers for items or equipped comparisons. I'm not very far into the game but at first glance I like TW1's character skill development more, I liked the copper/silver/gold coin thing, it was unique and worked well.

Very limited keyboard remapping, I'm not sure the devs tried to play the game with mouse & keyboard. You can only see one usable item at a time despite having 5 "pockets" and you can only cycle "next" through them, no previous button. Very irritating. Pressing 5-9 immediately casts a sign, not selects it. Of course unless you're bigfoot you have to take your hands off the WASD to reach 7-9 for sure and that makes you a sitting duck. Inventory and character screens don't make a good use of the screen space available. No mouse wheel binding, would really like to have that to scroll through items in your pockets at the very least.

If you played TW1 with the zoomed out overhead camera, be prepared to be disappointed. You're tightly locked in a third-person view now and I have camera clipping issues and stuck on wall corners a lot because of it. Makes combat much less tactical and a lot more frenetic because it's essentially a first person view, you have no idea what's going on around you. Finishing moves feel really disjointed because it shifts the camera angle to show you how awesome you killed that guy, feels like having your camera cut when you're driving to show someone else crash in Burnout Paradise, yeah, everyone hated that too. By the time you've regained camera control, you're being stabbed in the back by the other 4 bad guys.

Combat is very hard even on normal. Prohibitively hard in my opinion. Just like most of you guys, I'm a hardcore gamer that's been playing RPGs for 20+ years and I can't remember the last time I died so many times on any single fight. Lots of running away, kiting opponents to fight them one on one. Run, run ,run, sign, whack, whack, run, run, run….you get the idea. Every knight you fight in the prologue is like trying to take out the orc scout before ever going into town in Gothic 2. The prologue very much believes the best way to teach you to swim is to throw you in the water. Well, I drowned, many, many times.

The QTEs are horrible, even the easy ones are just out of place. Left click as fast as possible to crank a ballista? Who came up with that idea and worse, who thought it was a good idea? Who thinks any QTE is a good gameplay mechanic?

Lots and lots of cutscenes, in the prologue at least, I'm starting to feel like I'm playing FF7 here.

Hard to loot items dropped by enemies, the bags that are dropped are hard to get the game to "focus" on so you can loot. Would also be nice if there was a "loot near me" key instead of having it being bound to the quick attack key, that's already happened a lot to me accidently in combat.

I sure hope the story and C&C make up for it once I get out of the prologue, but so far, I'm pretty disappointed. I've read people saying, "Finally, a PC game! It's not a console port!" I'd have to disagree, other than the not limited graphics, it feels very much like a console port in the UI, click spam combat and controls.

Agree with the majority of this dude's post. Thought at first that this game must be a port, but it isn't. The UI is so clunky, the mouse is herky-jerky and laggy, like FO3 and Oblivion.

I'm not a big fan of the combat mechanics, yet, and I really dislike the locked-camera and looting functonality. I was however, able to remap my inventory, character, and 'Exit' and 'Cancel' buttons, per a user's post earlier in this thread, so that eliminates another of my gripes.

All in all, game looks great, but feels and plays sub-optimally. 6/10

The biggest letdown of this game is the storage, or rather the lack of it.
As you now will be using a wider variety of potions etc, you need to carry a lot more stuff.
Unfortunately some genius at CDP decided for god knows what reason, that the global chest that used to be located in inns is no longer in the game.
So there is really no use in searching every nook and cranny, as you soon become overloaded as there is no place to store loot you currently do not have a need for.
Note:
There is a choice during one of the preview scenes, by choice I mean a hidden outcome which grants +50 carrying capacity.
Aryan

I've posted in the "inventory" thread. There is really no need of stocking thousands of items as almost anything you'll ever need can be bought in a store. One hint - while browsing on store items, if you spot an item that has a description - QUEST ITEM... Well... You know what to do next. ;)
And you really don't need to worry about the cash. You can get it almost anywhere. Pick your choice, brawl, gamble or armwrestling. ;)

6/10 Gutted, eh?

I'll close my eyes on a few "problems" (nonexisting disable QTE option, no keymapping option, the hit and loot key are the same, equipment can be compared only in inventory screen, no tooltips) since they're really not *that* annoying and give the game 10/10. Skyrim will have a hard time becoming GOTY after this one.

On the inventory thing, in lieu of the forums, CD Projekt are using the comments under their community postings (which fill up fast!) to communicate with the players. At one point someone mentioned the inventory issue and the lack of a storage, then someone from CDP commented they were aware of it and were working on it.

It was kind of a duh oversight IMO. RPGs have over the years trained us to be hoarders. God forbid you tossed aside that one item that you need for a quest! It's hard to give that mentality up. :p

Did you guys enlarge the photo to full size? By default the browser reduces it, thus providing a sort of antialiasing-like effect, but enlarged to full size I can definitely see it. I can't say that I noticed that in my game though I am not running at the highest settings until I can build an upgrade.

With my 30" the picture is already almost at full size, but almost, with full size and looking with care, ok I'm not blind. I suppose it's a good news, for me.

Well it's very localized, a part of noise, more above eyebrow on left but also above eyebrow on right. What's funny is that you don't care of the blurry effect quite stronger on the other guy. But one is probably expected and usual and the second is unexpected and unusual. I also suspect you play too close to your monitor, perhaps you should move back a little.

Without people pointing me this I doubt I would have noticed, I'm very sorry for you and your too good eyes.

Well I have gone back and forth about what I am thinking about this game and though I am not disapointed in like DA2. I know this is going to be coming out for consoles at some point.
Frist all the clicking repeated to get things to fire or open etc….
Boxing having to hit buttons when they appear on the screen….
And lastly so many drawn out cut sceens…
XBOX PS3 all over it…as not to put gamers that like that sort of thing but it boring to me…
Maybe it is because i just finished the witcher on the weekend and was so use to talking to people and not having some drawn out cut sceen…
or being able to view the game from tons of angles to figure out what I want to do next…
As for playing on Hard yes it is VERY damm hard but I stuck it out and I got use to the way if feels…and save all the time….Thankfully it loads fast but not needing to do as much as i was before..
OH OH one last thing…thought the above just shows me console is in their minds..This really bugs me…either it is a party type game or single…sick of having to worry about triss or whom ever with me….
I just want to walk around doing my thing like in the frist one...…hoping as I play more into chapter one this changes or my 8 of 10 will drop to removing from my hard drive..

Last edited:
On the inventory thing, in lieu of the forums, CD Projekt are using the comments under their community postings (which fill up fast!) to communicate with the players. At one point someone mentioned the inventory issue and the lack of a storage, then someone from CDP commented they were aware of it and were working on it.

It was kind of a duh oversight IMO. RPGs have over the years trained us to be hoarders. God forbid you tossed aside that one item that you need for a quest! It's hard to give that mentality up. :p

I could not remember well but I feel in part it's also the reverse, modern RPG tend avoid disturb our high requirement of comfort and they don't want put us in a non comfortable position to have choose stuff you pick and stuff you give up take.

That wish of a large enough inventory or even unlimited is a typical "dumbed down" choice but we don't realize much its dumbed down part, because our comfort is the major point now.

I would prefer that games just give you less items of little or no value to begin with. You could take the DA2 approach and label them junk, but then why even have them in the first place? It seems to me most RPGs have a lot of items that exist for no reason other than to sell for gold. I'd rather just be given the gold from the get go, though some people will probably say that is dumbed down too.

Also, inventories that don't discriminate based on size and weight annoy me. Some some scrap of paper with a quest or recipe or whatever on it should not take up the same allotment as larger, bulkier items.

Thought at first that this game must be a port, but it isn't. The UI is so clunky, the mouse is herky-jerky and laggy, like FO3 and Oblivion.

All in all, game looks great, but feels and plays sub-optimally. 6/10

I've had no issues whatosever with mouse lag, but then I didn't have any issues in FO3 either. I'd suggest taking a good look at your system before blaming the game. Either you need a new mouse, or your rig just isn't up to par.

TW2 plays great imo. My only issue so far is the insane spikes in difficulty that I'm encountering in some quests. I've never had my ass handed to me so many times in a modern crpg.

I've had no issues whatosever with mouse lag, but then I didn't have any issues in FO3 either. I'd suggest taking a good look at your system before blaming the game. Either you need a new mouse, or your rig just isn't up to par.

TW2 plays great imo. My only issue so far is the insane spikes in difficulty that I'm encountering in some quests. I've never had my ass handed to me so many times in a modern crpg.

I have no issues with the play or settings…only downloading the DLC but once i started the the game as the Admin no problems there either…

I am still playing on hard…and beside the dumb dragon part(where I died 100000000 times) it is brutal at times but that is okay with me…I just don't like the console feel at time with the boxing or the click click to use items

Avadon is using a special strategy about inventories. The weight constraint linked to STR attribute is used only for items you equip. There's no size discriminate and the inventory itself use no weight discriminate. It's a party RPG so each character has its own directory. But there's also a junk directory, you choose put there what you want, it's shared by all members in the party and it is sort of unlimited, not really but so big that to reach the limit you really need forget many time sell a bit of stuff to pick.

For single character it's not good to manage inventory weight with a STR attribute. Weight is sort of detail for a bit of realism so I can understand your wish and the same for different encumbrance. But I admit it's sort of details lost I never really care of. But loosing details after details I think RPG lost a lot of their life and adventure simulation mood. And I suspect that your wish to strip out items but those useful will be fulfilled in some RPG. Removing even more details. When the solution would be to give a utility to each of those junk items:
  • fruits, and cooked food to restore,
  • raw ingredient to cook,
  • candle, torch, lanterns for lighting or light a fire,
  • liquids to drink or stop a fire, well or increase a fire.
  • plates, glasses and forks to throw on opponents at least for feminine characters, an option for masculine characters would be to throw plates on ground to setup some traps.
  • forks, shovels and picks to dig ground, and walls
  • and more.

Now it's about story, dialog choices, NPC relationships, NPC living and pure fights. It's still sort of life and adventure simulation but it's less in details, less in managements.

Well, finally got it up and running after a tremendous fiasco of an install. Have re-started about 6 times trying to find a happy performance/quality medium. I have to admit I'm surprised that my PC is chugging so hard on this game. I know it's state of the art, but my PC isn't exactly a slouch either. I'm playing with a 3ghz dual core with 2 GTS 450's SLI linked. 8 gigs Ram. I'm also trying to play in 3d.... wonder if that's where the trouble lies? I've got textures turned down so much they look like a game from a decade ago and still poor performance. I don't get that since I can play Batman:Arkham Asylum in full 3d at MAX settings with no issue whatsoever.

I wish they included a little explanation dialogue with the graphics settings as to what each of them do. I mean, some of them are pretty basic, but does anyone know what SSAO or whatever is?

I'm also trying to play in 3d…. wonder if that's where the trouble lies?

I mean, some of them are pretty basic, but does anyone know what SSAO or whatever is?

Have you tried the latest beta drivers from nvidia? There is an item in the change log which mentions improved 3d for the witcher 2.

SSAO is a shader which improves light reflection, makes things look more realistic. Cool effect but I've turned it off in this game because of the performance hit. I also wasn't digging on the bloom and motion blur so have turned them off, and the game looks great now and is running much more smoothly - helps with combat.

I've finally made it through the prologue and into the game proper, hoping it opens up a bit now so that I can wander around and chat to people.

I'm playing on high settings and my card is only a GTS 240, which I would think is mid-range at best. I'm kinda surprised that so many folks are playing at a lower setting than I am, with what I thought were better cards. Any video card junkies here? I thought my card was just a cheapy OEM card that came with my Dell. I have a quad core I5 something or other and 8 gigs of ram though, maybe that makes a difference.

It seems to be very CPU dependent.

I also turned off bloom and motion blur - didn't like the motion blur one bit. I have downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia, but not sure if they were beta or not. Just selected my video cards from the list and I downloaded the most recent driver it showed available.
It's ironic, but when using auto detect settings the game set me at absolute lowest. It looked and played terrible! I actually got better performance when I upped the settings to High. I noticed the performance got very good after I got out of Triss's tent, but then went down to almost unplayable went I got into the siege tower. It seems there's something amok with the performance in interiors. Isn't that opposite of what it should be? What's that all about?

I have downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia, but not sure if they were beta or not.

There's a link to the beta and archived drivers which you have to click, the site won't take you there by default.

I guess it depends on card / OS but the beta version for my 470 on windows 7 is currently 275.27.

crpgnut said:
I'm playing on high settings and my card is only a GTS 240

And here's me turning off options with a GTX470 and an i5?! I do like 60+ frames per second though.

The game is pretty smooth on my computer, though I did bump into another annoying bug: The game crashed to desktop all of a sudden, near the end of a rather long no-save event. I hate no-save events.

Anyway, I'm well on my way in TW2 now, level 16 and still going strong. I've completed the swamp area and moved on. The difficulty spikes are somewhat odd - I actually had to turn the difficulty down to easy during a certain event that I was not even remotely prepared for.

I've seen enough C&C now to know that I need to play at least once more after completing it.

I have turned everything off and lowered the resolution too and I still get low fps. That's the very first game that seems to struggle in my computer… I rarely even had to compromise any eye candy at all before.

SSAO - the darkening/shadows around characters and in the corners of things (ambient occlusion). It's not a bad effect in TW2 actually, and cheaper than shadows.

The cloth like artefact is called dithering - it's very visible from foliage shadows on the ground. The shadows should be transparent, but I'd guess there is probably a shader bug/driver bug for some cards that dithers instead of using proper transparency. I get it with my 4870.

Very impressed with the performance otherwise - set to high preset and it's great. I've turned off motion blur out of personal preference though, don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom