Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Fallout Tactics

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • All of Them

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
I liked FO2 the best. Lots of neat stuff to explore, without the countdown to fail timer of FO1. That said FO3 and NV were great fun too. NV comes a close a second.

Sounds like you played a different Fallout than I did. I remember the game ending because of that awful timer if I even considered going off the rail :)

Beyond that, Fallout can't touch FO3 when it comes to the sheer amount of unique locations and interesting stuff to find. Audio logs, the stories in terminals, etc.

Also, exploring in first person is simply much more satisfying and immersive to me, but to each his own :)

That said, Fallout is a fantastic game - and I did struggle deciding that FO3 is my favorite over the first game.

I could see Fallout 3 being great if you are a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls and were looking for something in the same vein. It's not what I was looking for from my Fallout game. The bottom line is that I gave it a try many times, it was good entertainment, but I was not engaged. It's the only one from the main series that I didn't finish and I think that speaks volumes. By the same token, I have never finished an Elder Scrolls game either, though I do enjoy messing around in the world of Skyrim.

Sounds like you played a different Fallout than I did. I remember the game ending because of that awful timer if I even considered going off the rail :)

The timer was patched out of Fallout and I'm willing to bet a lot of people experienced the game without it.

Edit: Just to clarify the 400 or 500 day Super Mutant time limit was patched out, the 150 or 250 day water chip timer is still in. The hard timer of 13 years still applies for other reasons but should be plenty of time to do whatever.

Last edited:
The timer was patched out of Fallout and I'm willing to bet a lot of people experienced the game without it.

Still doesn't exactly speak well for exploration being a major part of the original design.

That said, I played it both with and without the timer - and it was a good exploration game back in the day.

But it doesn't hold a candle to Fallout 3 in THIS specific way - as it's tiny and samey in comparison. In terms of interesting C&C and strong mechanics - I much prefer the first Fallout.

FO3 sucks when it comes to mechanics and the C&C was kinda so-so. It was there - but the dialogue and various scenarios were so poorly written that it didn't give you a great feeling of making an interesting choice.

I could see Fallout 3 being great if you are a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls and were looking for something in the same vein. It's not what I was looking for from my Fallout game. The bottom line is that I gave it a try many times, it was good entertainment, but I was not engaged. It's the only one from the main series that I didn't finish and I think that speaks volumes. By the same token, I have never finished an Elder Scrolls game either, though I do enjoy messing around in the world of Skyrim.

I'm not a big fan of TES - and I think most of them have been mediocre at best.

Skyrim, though, was great.

I don't go looking for Elder Scrolls when I play Fallout. Morrowind was dull as dishwater with one of the worst combat and character systems ever - and exploration was extremely underwhelming given what it seemed to promise. Oblivion had a slightly better combat system - but the character system was possibly even worse - and the dungeons WAY too repetitive.

I love meaningful exploration and powerful immersion - and that's what Fallout 3 gave me. With mods, the gameplay became decent and quite engaging in terms of progression. That's with FWE.

Vanilla FO3 mechanics suck big-time.

I vote for Fallout 2, but I love all of them except for the first one. I'm sure I would like it too, but I came to it very late, and haven't been able to get into it. Fallout 3 and Fallout NV are neck in neck, but at some point I realized that most of my memories of the games are of Fallout 3, so it's #2.

My favourite will be the next one!! :)

Though I have copies of F1, F2 and F3 I haven't got pass the two hour mark in any of them. I think it's the setting but I am in the 10% who will not be buying the next Fallout game.

For me, in spite of all its technical limitations and crashes to the blue screen of death (as opposed to the gentlemanly crash to desk top), it is Fallout Vegas by a Vegas mile. I lived that game while I was playing it and any game that can subtlety bring in Peggy Lee's "Why don't you do right" as ambiance has some brilliance in its design in my book.

Though I also love Fallout 3, this is what I felt in New Vegas. In fact, as I had been, for professional reasons, an occasional gamer for the ten years before New Vegas was launched, I can most definitely say that it was the first real feeling of total immersion in a computer game since I played Sid Meier's Pirates in the 90s, or something like that... I also "lived" in New Vegas for some weeks. Truly an amazing role playing experience.

Back
Top Bottom