NWN2 - Problematic Patch

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Now they tell me. From Rob Mc Ginnis on the NWN2 forums:
Hello Everyone,

There is currently a patch available on the Autopatcher. DO NOT INSTALL THIS PATCH!

If you do, it will overwrite your CD Key(s) and cause you much havoc.

Edit
If this patch has already been installed, you will need to manually open the file "nwncdkey.ini" and replace the CD key(s) with the original keys you entered at the time of installing the game. The file can be found in the NWN2 install folder.

If you have a backup of nwn2cdkey.ini from after you installed MotB, you can instead just restore the file from your backup.
More information.

Wonder what "much havoc" means?
Hell, if the patch actually fixed the bugs but erased my cd key, doesn't sound that bad, it's not like it would be hard to repair, weird.

What I don't get, is surely they could pull this patch in the same time it took to post and sticky in the forum?

I'm very tolerant when it comes to these issues but it's clear Obsidian and Atari need to widen/improve their testing.

IIRC they had to pull nearly all patches since 1.04 or to make another Hotfix. I could imagine, that this happens once, maybe twice, but permanently... ? And now the Hotfix itself is the problem.

What I don't get, is surely they could pull this patch in the same time it took to post and sticky in the forum?

I'm very tolerant when it comes to these issues but it's clear Obsidian and Atari need to widen/improve their testing.

couldn't agree more - talk about ridiculous. its bad enough that the patch 1.07 fixes were pulled out of 1.10 but I guess they were desperate to get the 1.10 improvements in at the time of MotB's release.

I'm not aware of any problems with hotfixes yet.

Is this game that sufficiently more complex than its predecessor? Or is there just not the staff or system in place to test it?

One thing about NWN1's expansions is that they were done by third parties, at least the first one was. If OE took that approach maybe they could have freed up their own resources to concentrate on the patches.

I'm not aware of any problems with hotfixes yet.
For me an upgrade from 1.10.1115 to 1.10.1116 is not a patch, it's a hotfix to correct things they actually wanted to correct with the patch itself. That was the case for 1.04 and 1.06, and now for 1.10.

1.04.860 --> 1.04.870
1.06.972 --> 1.06.973 --> 1.06.980

If 1.10.1116 ist killing the CDKey-List, that's a major issue for a simple Hotfix I do not understand. Auto-Updater is also messed up for the german version. What the hell are they doing there, across the ocean?

Last edited:
This is why I refuse to run updates on anything on my rig that have not been out for at least 2 or 3 weeks. If they are going to mess anyone up it will be me but if I wait, someone will get hit first and save me the headache. :)

Yeah, she prefers giving people headaches to getting them!! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom