Hellgate London - Returns to NA as F2P

After they changed their server hardware, it worked flawless for me and I played all Sat nite and much of Sunday. Ventrillo works well in the backround as I never was a fan of Xfire. One change I especially like is killing enemies will lead to the spawning of a really nasty boss monster and if that happens when you are all ready fighting another boss, it can be devasting. Really fun and just a better game with friends. I can't wait for the launch to hook back up with the people I met during the beta and get the Guild going.

I wouldn't really call it a cash grab, so much as Hanbitsoft testing the North American waters. There's a [small] solid core of people who have wanted this since the the plug was pulled back in 2009. And, truth be told, there really aren't many other multiplayer Diablo'esque games out there except for, well, Diablo 2.

So, there's definitely a potential market, in my opinion. Unfortunately, Hellgate, as it used to be, was... so... very... boring... and I'm not sure if it will have much bite to satiate the cited market sector, even with changes supposedly made to the game during its NA hiatus.

an obvious cash-grab.

How can you in any good conscience play this, Dart? :biggrin:

Yes, it's a cash-grab - and it's a very sad thing that this happens to Hellgate. Still, it's the only way to play the game multiplayer - and the core is great. So, even if I despise many of the changes they've done - it's still untouched enough for me to be able to enjoy it multiplayer.

Still, it's actually a perfect example of what I was talking about in that other thread. Everything they've done to the game is for the worse, and will result in a lesser game. I've always loved the core gameplay, though, and this version is supposed to have the unreleased Abyss expansion content that Flagship made. That's what I'm hoping to see.

But, based on the beta, it's quite buggy and amateur. I fear it will drive people away, even as F2P. It's supremely obvious that people with zero talent took over a lot of work done by others - and tried to make a few changes to make it work as a cash-grab. It stinks of opportunism.

Fortunately, I don't need to support them.

Back
Top Bottom