What games are you playing now?

Whoa….. I played through the demo, and while I agree it's great for an action game, there's no way I would ever compare it to those titles.

I'm with JDR - it is a really good game, but it is a comic-based action game, not a RPG … no need to start making those comparisons.

"Holy reading too much into what I said Batman!" I wasn't comparing it to those games, simply stating how it rates on my personal list of favorites. Nothing more nothing less.

@ PJ: Here's a review link: http://pc.ign.com/articles/102/1023739p1.html
Man, I don't know how you feel about IGN reviews, but this guy seemed pretty reasonable in his assessment. And he IS spot on, trust me.

I think anyone would find the game enjoyable, even if they aren't familiar with the Batman universe. Plus it helps you along - unlocking character bios as you progress through the game. I think it would be hard to play the game and NOT turn into a huge Batman fan. It connects on emotional level that intense. Specifically speaking about the run-in with the Scarecrow. Holy ****!

I'll throw my support behind Batman as well. Great voice acting, awesome graphics and a fight system that's just fun to use. Even the tiny RPG upgrade ability is a neat addition.

I'm playing this and Resident Evil 5 right now. I gotta say, I wish they would go back to the zombie because I don't really like those worm things. Maybe they just ran out of ideas with zombies, but I sorta miss the spooky house full of ghoulies.

With that said, I'm having a blast. The grahics are awesome. The gameplay is what you'd expect from a Resident Evil game and it's hard. I've just passed chapter 1, but I lost count how many times I died trying to pass the final wave. I kept running out of bullets. YOU GOTTA AIM FOR THE HEADS!!!! ;)

I'm looking forward to RE5 as well, I won a new copy on Ebay this week (only paid $36), so I should have it by Tue or Wed.

I'm thinking about playing the entire series again from the beginning though, it's been a few years since I've played them, and they're short enough to not be a huge timesink.

I'll throw my support behind Batman as well. Great voice acting, awesome graphics and a fight system that's just fun to use. Even the tiny RPG upgrade ability is a neat addition.

I cringe at this calling any little upgrade option a 'RPG' ... it seems to be back in vogue again, as now Batman and Wolfenstein and Red Faction can all claim to be RPG's based on adding a couple of little upgrade choices.

I cringe at this calling any little upgrade option a 'RPG' … it seems to be back in vogue again, as now Batman and Wolfenstein and Red Faction can all claim to be RPG's based on adding a couple of little upgrade choices.

I really didn't know what else to call it. You did notice I said 'tiny', right? ;)

If it used gold or money to upgrade the abilities I wouldn't of even said RPG, but it uses experience which does make it a very tiny/miniscule/almost nothing RPG addition to the game.

Still it's better than no option at all. It gives a little bit more flavor to the game, but it's not a RPG by any definition of the word. Just a fun and well crafted action game.

I'm looking forward to RE5 as well, I won a new copy on Ebay this week (only paid $36), so I should have it by Tue or Wed.

I'm thinking about playing the entire series again from the beginning though, it's been a few years since I've played them, and they're short enough to not be a huge timesink.

You won't regret buying this game if you liked any of the Resident Evils. I think they may have perfected the game a long time ago and are now just upgrading the graphics and giving new stories to the setting.

I've been bouncing back and forth between Batman and R5 or I would probably be a lot farther in R5. Right now I'm up to Chapter 1 - 3. It hasn't dissapointed me yet.

Last edited:
I'll throw my support behind Batman as well. Great voice acting,

Everytime I read lines like this, I must actually stop myself looking forward to a German-language version of the same game, because sometimes the English and the German voice acting differ totally ... Or at least very much.

The bad side of being on an English-language-centric board like this is that i really can't discuss the game's quality with everyone else (with a few exceptions), because of the different voice-acting.
And localization in general.

played MajestyII for like 6 hours last night, had a lot of fun. It's repetitive, but it just draws me in and I cant stop playing it. It's a tweaked remake, and I'm fine w/ that. Far prettier in it's move to 3d too, and more detailed. For instance, when your minions come rolling off the assembly line, theyre only the base model. As you upgrade the equipment that they can buy at the blacksmith, they change appearance to reflect their new stuff. The effects are really cool too, magic, poison and such are fun to watch. Ive been lately going w/ tons of ranged troops, two guild's worth of archers and a full house of elves and wizards backing up a few warriors or rogues. Watching the fireworks fly when they all start going w/ their magic shots n fireballs n stuff is pretty damn cool!

I just finshed my first full run through of the Goldbox FR PoR series (all four of them) and am burned out on Goldbox classics for a while.

For a change I am catching up on some adventure and action games.

Playing

- Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Just did the first part. Seems OK visually. So far nothing great. Definitely creepy.

- Lord of the Rings: Return of King

Frustrating since I'm no action game whiz. But now I'm starting to get the hang of it, and it isn't too hard. Nice visuals. Horrible checkpoint save system. I've had to replay sections too many times. Gimli sucks. ;)

Biggest issue. My new Dell M64000 apparently has a defect where any modest 3d application (including the above) causes a black screen, stuttering, and machine freeze. Reboot button required. Apparently it's a common defect with other buyers. This is the latest of MANY issues I've had with this laptop and it has been way too much trouble than it's worth.

After hours of searching the web for answers, the solution is apparently to replace or reseat the video card with the heat sink/heat pump to properly thermally bound with some underlying power MOSFETs. Otherwise, the laptop MOSFETs that interface to the power adapter cause the damn thing to overheat even with fans forced to high.

So for now I just have to play with the power adapter unplugged. Gives me about an hour of play time at a time since it's such a power hog.

Never again another Dell.

The bad side of being on an English-language-centric board like this is that i really can't discuss the game's quality with everyone else (with a few exceptions), because of the different voice-acting.

Very true - I recently reviewed a PSP fighting game called 'Fate / Unlimited Codes' (based on the manga Fate / Stay Night), and the game just used subtitles and the original voicing, which I think was for the best ...

Sure you can. Just say something like "OMG, those German voice actors suck when compared to the mighty awesomeness of Mark Hamill!!!" ;) I'm sure someone will reply.

There are tons of non-english speakers.....well maybe not tons, but still more than one or how would we get all those cool german translations of what was going on with Risen? :)

Put in a couple hours of DDO tonight w/ my little elven ranger. Seems cool for an MMO. To see all the d&d skills/feats/spells etx etx in an mmo experience I'll have to say is kinda nice, I'm having fun so far. Everytime you go into a dungeon youre given the choice of solo, normal, hard. Being in noobville, I'm doing all the dungeons on "normal" so far since I'm by myself, i wonder if doing it on a harder difficulty like that nets me more xp and loot?? Maybe I missed a tooltip

Put in a couple hours of DDO tonight w/ my little elven ranger. Seems cool for an MMO. To see all the d&d skills/feats/spells etx etx in an mmo experience I'll have to say is kinda nice, I'm having fun so far. Everytime you go into a dungeon youre given the choice of solo, normal, hard. Being in noobville, I'm doing all the dungeons on "normal" so far since I'm by myself, i wonder if doing it on a harder difficulty like that nets me more xp and loot?? Maybe I missed a tooltip

AFAIK - the harder, the more rewarding.

You can click on "XP" when in an instance, to see the XP rewards for each attempt in detail.

The loot is also dependant on difficulty, and it's been my experience that "hard" mode always yields some kind of chest with slightly better loot (maybe it changes later).

Elite I haven't been able to solo yet :)

Last edited:
Heyah! Kinda newbie here hehe! can anyone tell me what good choices of RPG this days, I'm planning to play such thing ehhehe!~

Try PS:T, for example, if you are seriously interested and no spammer.

I'm playing Bloodlines, again, would you believe it? 10 minutes after finishing my overall second run as a Malkavian with unofficial patch 6.4, I couldn't stop myself from "quickly trying out" a Nosferatu, this time with patch 6.5. What can I say, I'm half way through again. Fantastic replay value.

Playing

- Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Just did the first part. Seems OK visually. So far nothing great. Definitely creepy.
I tried to play that as well since I've just finished reading a collection of Cthulhu Mythos stories. I've had the title since release but just hadn't gotten around to plyaing it yet. I still haven't played it because I had to give up before long due to one showstopping bug after the other. A shame really because it most definitely has the right atmosphere.

Perhaps I can get a hold of a cheap Xbox version somewhere.

Finally loaded up Fantasy Wars--had it on the shelf for quite awhile. So far, a few missions in, it's not bad at all. Solid hex-grid tb strat, with a little more to the placement and unit usage than normal. (Note for skavenhorde: The artwork and whole style of the game really reminds me of that Warhammer: Mark of Chaos demo you lured me into playing, but with turnbased play and of course none of that basebuilding stuff. :) Pretty enjoyable so far, even with time limits on the missions, a factor I usually hate.

Back
Top Bottom