The Dark Eye: Demonicon - Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Strategy Informer has another interview and this time it's with Demonicon's Lead Writer Daniel Hessler.
Strategy Informer: Were there any challenges involved in crafting a story that dealt with such ‘Adult’ themes? Did you encounter any resistance?

Daniel Hessler: We just did it! Kalypso gave us the opportunity to, and they agreed with what we were dong, and I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the age rating’s tell us. Basically the whole thing was about writing a good story, and about the themes that are linked to that story. The player may have some questions relating to specific scenes in the game, but these questions will be answered. Whenever there is a dark theme, it may look like a provocation but I can guarantee it’s linked to the main quest. When a subject is that closely linked, you can have different ways of showing it, so there are less challenges involved I feel. We’ve been lucky to have a good publisher!
Strategy Informer: We first saw Demonicon two years ago at GamesCom, and obviously the game has evolved a lot mechanically over the past couple of years – has the story similarly evolved?

Daniel Hessler: We re-wrote certain parts of the story and we made changes. But the basic part of the story, the core of what the game is about, has remained the same.
Strategy Informer: Obviously The Dark Eye is an established franchise – how closely did you consult with the makers of TDE with regards to the game world, and more specifically the darker tone your story takes?

Daniel Hessler: Very closely. We have a close contact with The Dark Eye producers of the pen & paper game. We’ve been publishing some texts in their periodical, and something you can do in Demonicon is read background books that relate to that pen & paper game. The thing about The Dark Eye world is that it has many variations, so you can play a classic Tolkein Fantasy, or you could play as a Viking, you can play a fencing musketeer, or something completely different. We decided to deal with the horror approach, and the horror parts of the continent in which this takes place. We thought it would be fun to do.
More information.

I don't know if this was posted before but here is a YouTube video of the demo at GDC 2013.

For an alpha build, it looks OK. I do get a Gothic 2 vibe from it so that's something :)

I don't know if this was posted before but here is a YouTube video of the demo at GDC 2013.

For an alpha build, it looks OK. I do get a Gothic 2 vibe from it so that's something :)

Thanks for the video. The game looks good and I had some doubt after an earlier interview.

Although an alpha vid, definetly looks sexy.
Can't wait to play that game.

Bioware set school. It shows how influential this studio keeps being.

Looks like a DA2 clone, apart from the party based thing. The dialogue wheel, the caring for your family first in a decaying world, the progression system, the "awesome button"...

Kalypso's record of late shows they got used to falling short of their game design ambitions. Very short. But they came with some uncommon ideas. Maybe it explains why they prefer to go for a tried and tested formula?

I fear that the dialogue wheel has already become some sort of "Industry Standard".

Looking spiffy, except for the clichés. Emphasis on looking. They're still sort of evasive about where they're heading; it's gritty, it's ARPG. Ok. What else?

Reminds me more of Arcania than Gothic. :-/

I agree. Visually it does remind me of Arcania. And from the limited gameplay footage it has an 'on rails' vibe to it. Hopefully this won't be the case.

Back
Top Bottom