Dungeon Siege 3 - Screens @ Worthplaying

I am hoping this will be a good game. As someone in a related thread mentioned, I had played DS1 and found it shallow and lacking. So I never tried DS2 as I feared more of the same. Someone mentioned DS2 had been different so I will watch DS3 and see if maybe it will be worth a pickup.

It certainly looks pretty.

I've been unable to finish either of its predecessors thus far; though I did get much further in DS2. IMO shallow isn't always a drawback as Diablo I, II and Torchlight were certainly shallow but quite addictive for me.

One to keep an eye on for now.

Last edited:
I also hated Dungeon Siege 1, so I never played DS2 either. I heard it's more or less the same game though. The only reason why I still have my copy of DS1 is because of the Ultima V and Ultima VI mods.

The game does look pretty though, but it's a bit too "shiny" for my taste. I prefer a more darker and "muddy" look for a dungeon crawler.

Also, did anyone know this was coming to consoles? This is still a party-based game right? How they hell are they going to put party-based controls on a gamepad? DA-like pause-and-play controls perhaps?

Still it'll be interesting to see what sort of new things Obsidian can bring to the franchise. A half-decent story would be nice. The first one had one of the worst RPG storylines ever, and the ending was barely worthy of that title.

I also hated Dungeon Siege 1, so I never played DS2 either. I heard it's more or less the same game though.

And who ever you heard that from lied in your face, because that's RADICALLY wrong.

DS2 was everything DS1 should have been. While DS1 was diablo-with-a-party, DS2 is much more like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale in style.

DS2 adds a fleshed out world (one of the lore-heaviest journals I have seen in a Computer Game part from Dragon Age), real quests, real story, a less linear progression with a lot of side content, NPC's to interact with, real dialogue, subquests, companion sidestories/subquests (pretty well written companions for this kind of game) etc. That way DS2 is more in the line what I would demand from a CRPG these days. It's not the best RPG ever, but I would easily include it with games like Arcanum and Divine Divinity as one of those random odd titles people who are looking for more RPG's to play should check out.

So I never tried DS2 as I feared more of the same. Someone mentioned DS2 had been different so I will watch DS3 and see if maybe it will be worth a pickup.

I took some time before I tried DS2 thanks to hating DS1 and I was very surprised. Yeah, it's different, and they really took a very different direction, from the linear hack-n-slash into a more classic Baldur's Gate style kind of game with city-hubs where you gather sidequests with a lot of sidecontent and sidestories to check out. It had real dialogue this time around.

I think the reason for DS2's failure was because those who would enjoy it were turned off by DS1, and those who wanted another DS1 didn't find it in DS2. Unfortunate, the expansion (and true ending to DS2) go back to the DS1 formula, but at least it was short.

In case there's any doubt - I fully agree with JemyM about this.

Dungeon Siege 2 is a fine game - if you can stand the dated visuals. It's miles ahead of Dungeon Siege, but it's also quite a different game. Don't expect a traditional hack and slasher, more like a hybrid action RPG/serious RPG.

…and those who wanted another DS1 didn't find it in DS2.

This was me.

I've completed both DS1 (on the single player map even) and DS1:LOA more than once; DS2 just didn't have the complete and utter mindlessness I enjoyed.

That, plus the enemy respawn they added, and loading a save putting you at the nearest hub, rather than the point you saved at, plus cringe inducing cut-scenes and voice acting, and an art-style I didn't much care for, meant I bounced off DS2 hard.

I'm not expecting much from DS3 since I'm assuming Obsidian aren't aiming for at the total mindless niche that I'm looking for in Dungeon Siege game :)

I found ds2 shallow but it was ok; and if nothign else i spent a little time collecting sets. Ds1 was ok i guess; but i preferred ds2; but I would hardly compare ds2 to baulder gates. I guess in some ways ds2 was a scaled down version of titan quest; but it had a bit more dialog (text). The thing about ds2 is the choices were limited and didn't matter much (though I have to admit it has been some years since I played it so perhaps my memory is a bit weak here). I did not enjoy ds2 enough to buy the add on - esp since it received rather poor reviews; so perhaps folks here are talking about the add-on ?

And who ever you heard that from lied in your face, because that's RADICALLY wrong.

DS2 was everything DS1 should have been. While DS1 was diablo-with-a-party, DS2 is much more like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale in style.

Seriously? Man, and to think I've been avoiding the game all this time based on incorrect information! I LOVE all the IE games (Especially BG and IWD)!

Downloading the demo ASAP ;)

Maybe you guys can clear something up for me. When I heard about DS3 I thought it was being made by Gas Powered games. This was quite awhile ago, but now Obsidian is taking over maybe trying to fix it somehow? At the very least they're bringing back parties which Chris Tayler said he would abandon like he did in Space Siege and we all know how great Space Siege was (sacrasm font needed :))

So here's what I'm wondering, just how long has Obsidian been working on this thing? If it's relatively late in the developmental process then there is only do so much they can do. If it's been awhile then there is some hope that they can work their magic on it.

Here's a mini timeline of DS3 announcements: http://www.machinesthatgobing.com/games/dungeon-siege-3/

I remember them saying it's their own in-house engine, so this project is probably all Obsidian.

Edit: Well apart from Chris Taylor as an advisor.

Yes, it's an Obsidian developed game from the beginning using their own Onyx engine.

Cool, thanks for the info. I wasn't paying too much attention to this one. Now I will :)

In case there's any doubt - I fully agree with JemyM about this.

Dungeon Siege 2 is a fine game - if you can stand the dated visuals. It's miles ahead of Dungeon Siege, but it's also quite a different game. Don't expect a traditional hack and slasher, more like a hybrid action RPG/serious RPG.

The only negative thing I have heard about DS2 was that the expansion (which I guess extends the story) is absolutely awful.

Since we brought up DS2 anyone got a favorite race they played?

Mine was the Dryad. Not sure if they were the most powerful, but I always like the nature path in games if given a choice.

Back
Top Bottom