RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Larian Studios is working on a new Divinity game, which we had the opportunity to see. A game that brings us back to playing style we know from the original Divine Divinity - but with a few surprises...who would have expected a turn-based Divinity game?
A few weeks ago I was invited by Swen Vincke to visit Larian Studios and have a look at both Dragon Commander and their newDivinity game. I did not want to let that opportunity pass, so a week later I drove to their studio in Gent (Belgium). I didn’t go their unprepared but came with a list of question about Divinity 3, like what improvements were made to dragon flight, if the dragon had ground combat, if the game would go in the same direction as its predecessor or be less of an action game and many questions more. A list I quickly found out was useless as they are not makingDivinity 3; they are making Divinity: Original Sin - a prequel toDivine Divinity - a game that inherits everything that was good from the first Divinity, adds a lot of new features to enhance it even further and is Swen's hope to getting his Ultima VII vibe back. It was quite an amazing experience.
Read it all here.
More information.

Yes, sounds great.

This is the best news I have had since the WL2 kickstarter. I loved the original DD and the only thing that would have made it better would have been TB combat.

The game looks to be fantastic. There are a few games that touch on the 'U7 vibe' such as Gothic 1 & 2 and Arx Fatalis. But this game looks like it could be a direct hit. Can't wait to learn more about it and eventually play it. Thanks for the fantastic article - it touched on everything I wanted to know about the game as it exists at this point.

Great news! I love the first DD.
Larian is preparing a great game.
Graphics looks great and a little bit reminds me of Kings Bounty style :D

I had always hoped for some banter between a man and a woman in an RPG … ;)

It sounds interesting, but I'd like to know how some of the systems work in single-player, like the dialogue.

Still, turn-based combat is a big plus, I can't stand Diablo-style clickfests and played DD in spite of not liking the combat.

Still, turn-based combat is a big plus, I can't stand Diablo-style clickfests and played DD in spite of not liking the combat.

I was skeptical of Larian going with TB combat until I saw those screens and heard that we'll be controlling a four character party. I wish the party size was slightly larger, like five or six, but I'm looking forward to the switch from a single character.

Nice scoop you guys have here. And yeah, Back to Utima 7/Divine Divinity basics, Turn Based combat, all sounds good to me. I just hope the focus on multiplayer won't hurt the Single Player game. An isometric turn-based RPG only on PC/MAC. Yeah, I can see why they are publishing this one themselves.

Well, how about that? I foresee interesting things to come indeed from the modding purpose being there from the very core----add this to the list of interesting RPGs due to land in 2013'ish thus far.

I realy dig this new aproach of geting back to the roots of the PC gamming.

Definately interessed in keeping an eye and ofc buy it when it comes out.

and it all started with kickstarter. it made them see the light. THank you jesus

and it all started with kickstarter. it made them see the light. THank you jesus

Wll in this case, not realy a direct relation. This divinity game was already in the mind of sven and on the works by larian much before the kickstarter 2012 revolution ;)

But yes, i agree, kickstarter made the whole roots-concept much more solid all-round for PC gaming, that there IS market for old-school stuff.

Probably Sven / larian now thinks its much "safer" to make this divinity after seeing the kickstarter sucesses.

The game looks to be fantastic. There are a few games that touch on the 'U7 vibe' such as Gothic 1 & 2 and Arx Fatalis. But this game looks like it could be a direct hit. Can't wait to learn more about it and eventually play it. Thanks for the fantastic article - it touched on everything I wanted to know about the game as it exists at this point.

None of those games you mentioned had any ultima 7 vibe to me at all....maybe arx fatalis and ultima underworld, but surely not ultima 7.

This does look good and I loved their other games, granted the older ones more then the current ones. High hopes for that.

Back
Top Bottom