Ultima VII Part I - Retrospective Video

The fact that it's automatic with no control is what makes it shitty, no matter how long it takes to resolve.

Which isn't even true, especially for today's crowd who is used to controlling only one character anyway. If you want to you can take your sweet time to setup your peeps in an effective way and cast spells tactically, it's just that that isn't even necessary as combat can be ended quickly.

BTW both the manual and the hint book "hinted" at a little more complexity to the combat than you'd usually think, such as stat based attack ratings for different weapons, but I never tested any of that.

I agree with Thrasher.

Fast combat in U7 means less time to deal with shit, not shit not being there.

If you don't have to be tactical or smart to win, then tactics mean nothing - and being smart means nothing.

Essentially, it means it's shit.

Oh, at least you got your definition straight. It's shit because it takes little input.

There, now people can decide wether that really is shit in their eyes. No need to thank me. ;)

People are most likely very thankful for your misconception on their behalf ;)

BTW both the manual and the hint book "hinted" at a little more complexity to the combat than you'd usually think, such as stat based attack ratings for different weapons, but I never tested any of that.

Maybe you played the game only with Exult?

The Exult programmers had not the U7 source code so they had to estimate how the original (already weak) combat system works.
The result was even worse than the original.
But U7 is not about combat, so still a great game to play.

Maybe you played the game only with Exult?

The Exult programmers had not the U7 source code so they had to estimate how the original (already weak) combat system works.
The result was even worse than the original.
But U7 is not about combat, so still a great game to play.

I played the game straight when it came out my friend :p

I never even tried Exult. Thanks for the warning though, I probably never will. :)

Since there is so little control sometimes winning combat just seems to be luck (for the harder encounters). But annoying characters running off screen during battles and doing other random things is just terribly shitty.

I've played both in recent years (though not finished it) and I have to say that I preferred Exult, even with some of its limitations. There were a few things in the original that were just extremely frustrating during play and Exult generally fixes those. I also had a hard time getting the DosBox settings to work (and some things like the earthquake shaking don't work at all).

I would like to see a few things for Exult though:

1) A keyring mod that just gives you the keyring rather than that quest! (I know there is a command you can use too)

2) A mod that did something to the combat, if for no other reason than to give it a new experience. I'd even, gasp, enjoy a turn based combat mod!
\
It is what it is. A phenomenal game that has aged with in most aspects, but not in others and I think can provide a memorable experience for anyone that is not primarily interested in combat.

Remaking the game in the Original Sin editor may never happen and even if someone tries there is a big risk of getting shut down by EA like several other projects have in the past.

I did a brief look at the original sin forums....it seems that the editor is not particularly friendly to use....or something along those lines....anyone tried it?

Back
Top Bottom