Pillars of Eternity - GOTY Edition Revealed

Aubrielle

Noveliste
We might be getting a Game of the Year edition of Pillars of Eternity sooner than we thought. According to Paradox and Obsidian, it'll roll out after The White March: Part II.

In addition to releasing the "Update 3.0 New Features" video today, Paradox Interactive and Obsidian Entertainment sent over a press release touting the main features of The White March Part II, while also alerting us to the fact that a Pillars of Eternity Game of the Year Edition is set to be released later this month. The aforementioned link will take you to the the product page on Amazon Germany with a release date of February 19th, but I have to assume that we'll see the compilation pack - packing the core game, both expansions, and an 80-page manual - going live with shifting release dates around the world tomorrow:

New Features Coming to Pillars of Eternity for All Players

New Enhancements to Pillars of Eternity Arriving with The White March - Part 2 for Every Owner of Pillars of Eternity

IRVINE, Calif. and STOCKHOLM - Feb. 4, 2016 — Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive today revealed several forthcoming updates to Pillars of Eternity, the award-winning title backed by dedicated fans of classic role-playing games (RPGs). Later this month, alongside the release of the game’s second expansion, The White March – Part 2, Obsidian will make new updates to the gameplay and features of Pillars of Eternity available for all players. These updates will include a streamlined combat UI, updates to the in-game Stronghold and portions of the game world, a new “Story Time” game mode, and improvements to a broad variety of in-game features such as knockout injuries that change the difficulty during combat. Version “3.0” of the game will arrive as a free update to all players of Pillars of Eternity on February 16, 2016, the same day as the release of The White March – Part 2.

With the forthcoming release of the update and expansion, Obsidian and Paradox bring the exciting first chapter of Pillars of Eternity to a close. "We're committed to expanding and supporting the Pillars of Eternity experience. We have many stories to tell in this world and this has only been the first one," said Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart. Gamers who have been waiting for the complete Pillars of Eternity story can now experience the incredible narrative from start to finish, up to and including the exciting conclusion to the story of The White March.

Pillars of Eternity, created by veterans also known for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Fallout: New Vegas, and South Park: The Stick of Truth, is an RPG inspired by classic titles such as Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment. Created thanks to over 75,000 crowdfunding backers, Pillars of Eternity has sold over 700,000 units, was released to critical acclaim in March 2015, and is among Metacritic’s 15 Best PC Games of 2015.

For more information on Pillars of Eternity and The White March – Part 2, visit http://pillarsofeternity.com/.
Source.

More information.

Just another reason to never buy a game on day one unless it comes from CDProjektRed.

Will i have the option of removing the camping supplies mechanic?

And this one will receive a full rebalance overhaul! :p

Seriously though, Obs makes some mistakes, but they're putting a lot of effort in improving PoE and communicating with player community.
I'd kill for sandbox rpg series with them on board.

Will i have the option of removing the camping supplies mechanic?
The 2nd Expansion should come with a new game mode called story time.
Story Time uses the encounter composition of Normal difficulty but biases the math heavily in the player’s favor. Enemies have lower stats overall. Party members Crit more often, especially when enemies are at low Endurance. Enemies have increased Recovery (attack less frequently), crit far less, have inaccurate Disengagement Attacks, do less damage overall, and do much less damage against party members who are at low Endurance. Hostile status effects on party members are reduced in duration. The party can also carry (effectively) unlimited Camping Supplies.
It's a way for beginners to play, or people who don't like the old combat system.
Just another reason to never buy a game on day one unless it comes from CDProjektRed.
Well I seem to re-call they released two Enhanced Edition's. Also based on a past interview a possible Witcher III GOTY/Enhanced Edition might be released.
I'd kill for sandbox rpg series with them on board.
Supposedly Obsidian is working on a former cancelled RPG funded by a publisher. So it might happen, and it should be officially announced hopefully later this year.

Link - http://www.pcgamesn.com/obsidian-will-be-announcing-a-new-rpg-in-the-next-few-months

Last edited:
Yessh. I wait on the fence for GotY editions all the time, as I am with this title. Game is patched, tweaked and you get all the expansions and additions in one package.

I don't recall PoE winning any "Game of the Year" awards… Isn't the custom that you release a "Game of the Year Edition" for a game that actually won the award?

All I could find is this:
https://eternity.obsidian.net/news/...ed-game-of-the-year-2015-on-the-mac-app-store
Really? The Mac App Store? If that's the entire justification for naming this a "Game of the Year Edition", that's pretty damn weak.

The seperation of award and GOTY edition happened ages ago. Now GOTY editions are released if the publishers think they can gain some extra market share.

Bizarre. Never heard of that. What other games have a GotY edition without winning a single GotY award anywhere? (Granted, I guess PoE can claim that Mac Store thing as its "award". It's just super weak.)

The seperation of award and GOTY edition happened ages ago. Now GOTY editions are released if the publishers think they can gain some extra market share.
Yep they used to be called complete editions. Anyway this doesn't bother me that much as it's just a name, and new buyers can still get a complete game with updates.

The only exception was the Mass Effect saga as you still had to buy most DLC.:-/

Ugh. I dont like that. I wish they did it like other games as in reduce the number of times you can camp over the game. Like easy you can camp 100 times normal 80 times hard 60 times and impossible mode like 40 times. I'd like to play on the harder difficulty but its a chore running back and forth to town, its very boring. I guess i am weird that way.

I don't recall PoE winning any "Game of the Year" awards… Isn't the custom that you release a "Game of the Year Edition" for a game that actually won the award?

All I could find is this:
https://eternity.obsidian.net/news/...ed-game-of-the-year-2015-on-the-mac-app-store
Really? The Mac App Store? If that's the entire justification for naming this a "Game of the Year Edition", that's pretty damn weak.

Well, they did win a couple of Rpg of the Year awards. Raven's Cry was a close second. ;)

It won the GOTY on the Mac App Store (they don't categorize).
Shacknews and PCWorld put it into their Game of the Year list (they don't categorize either).
PCGamer gave it a GOTY award called Spirit of the PC award.

IGN nominated it for its GOTY (and 2 other categories) along a few other websites.
It won and was nominated for numerous Best RPG Game of the Years awards on smaller communities as well.

Last edited:
Will it be in boxed form or only online ?

I bought the game upon release and was a bit disappointed after the initial euphoria.
I stopped playing halfway through. Will give it another try after the expansions are done and they did another re-balancing. What I read sounds good so far.

I'm going to take a guess that by now they've already decided whether or not to do a sequel.

I haven't followed this game much after I finished playing. Do any of these new versions improve the "fun factor" around the combat and leveling? My criticism from way back was after the first Act of the game the level progression became somewhat irrelevant and combat became boring because you didn't need any tactics to win a battle you just had all your guys do basic attacks and you could win 99% of the encounters. Only way I made it challenging was forcing myself only to have 4 or 5 (can't remember exactly) party members vs. full 6. I was crazy loving this game thru Act I and then pretty much fell asleep at my keyboard the rest of the way. Not even sure how they would "fix" that, but figured I'd ask the community here as I would replay someday down the road if they had more to offer in this department (along with the new expansion content). Thx.

Back
Top Bottom