GOP Corruption and Obstruction

I think there's clearly some posturing on the issue going on from the dems, but as long as they don't drag it out too long, I actually like seeing them show a little of the same 'in your face' stuff as the repubs always do. Fighting fire with fire, as it were, instead of throwing a half-empty cup of cold latte at it. :)

The sad part is all this "on Principal" stuff from both sides that makes such good kabuki theater impacts millions of people every day who don't have any say in what's happening, and don't care two cents about process and senate rules and procedures, or even who's 'right.'

So he gets a few votes on ammendmants? Doesn't this send the WRONG message to the obstructionists? Geeze…

Loved this part
Bunning's office released a statement:

"I hope Senate Democrats tonight vote for their own pay-fors and show Americans that they are committed to fiscal discipline. I will be watching them closely and checking off the hypocrites one by one," he said.

Bunning voted no on pay-as-you-go legislation last month.

Glass kettles. Kettles in glass houses shouldn't be calling the kettle black that they shouldn't be throwing. Or something like that. ;)

Some DADT obstruction from McCain and just an interesting article on the same subject, both from the evil internet lefty hub Huffington Post:
McCain's DADT letter Signed by Dead Guys
- The average age of the officers is 74. The "oldest living signer is 98, and several signers died in the time since the document was published." Servicemembers United Executive Director Alex Nicholson added that only "a small fraction of these officers have even served in the military during the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' period, much less in the 21st century military," so it's hard to believe that they "know how accepting and tolerant 18- and 21-year-olds are today."

- "At least one signer, Gen. Louis Menetrey, was deceased when the letter was published and didn't sign the document himself. According to a footnote on the letter, his wife signed the document for him after his death using power of attorney -- six years after Alzheimer's disease robbed him of the ability to communicate."
Relevant as always, McFossil. :)

And this is just an interesting article on who exactly is losing by the DADT policy:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathaniel-frank/while-the-pentagon-studie_b_486296.html

Won't argue with y'all on that one. While I don't care for the leftie end of the spectrum where PC is king (or queen, wouldn't want to offend, doncha know) and people look for reasons to be offended, I don't like the biblethumpers dictating lifestyles either.

I expect, when you're getting shot at, you really don't care much whether the soldier next to you is a switch-hitter. Everyone does their job and tries to get home in one piece, me thinks.

In a valiant, if misplaced, attempt to defend the flag, I will point out that transitions like dropping DADT would probably be far easier if we didn't file lawsuits every time someone farts. Things like not getting shot should take significant precedent over setting up a department to defend the military from a few bad apples that are looking for a fat settlement under the guise of discrimination.

Can't let this thread slip off the front page while the Lefty Corruption one is tirelessly updated by our investigative staff. ;)

I wasn't overly interested in the John Ensign scandal when it was just sex. Especially with the John Edwards baby daddy thing trumping it totally in pizazz. IMO way too much is made of politician's (and celebrities') straying from the straight and narrow. But this one has just tipped over into crooked politics and abuse of power areas, and the F.B.I. is getting involved:
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12158075
It has to do with Ensign pushing his mistress's husband, his former campaign chief of staff, off into various lobbying jobs, and soliciting donations in return for favors:
From what emails and sources say, they were shopping Doug Hampton around, trying to get him jobs in exchange for silence. The senator would give Nevada companies help, but the overall message was to hire Hampton. $30,000 in donations to Republicans wouldn't hurt either.

Strange that you didn't complain when federal legislation targetted specific entities a few months ago. Remember when Barack decided to hit banks with punitive taxes? I guess it's different when you don't like the targets, eh?

Nope, so why is this, one might ask? Activist lefty judge, perhaps?

That would contradict your initial post, unless you were actually disagreeing with the ruling and saying that ACORN deserved every bitchslap it got.

i was referring to the Bank penalties that you brought up.

On another topic, this is not really corruption/obstruction, but this thread is probably the best place to post this.

The tea party reveals its hateful underbelly when it gets desperate: racism and homophobia. Good show there. :rolleyes:

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus said that racial epithets were hurled at them Saturday by angry protesters who had gathered at the Capitol to protest health-care legislation, and one congressman said he was spit upon. The most high-profile openly gay congressman, Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), was heckled with anti-gay chants.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/20/AR2010032002556.html

Last edited:
It's a sizeable minority of the tea party people. It's like me saying the congressional black caucus hates gays because black people in california voted against gay marriage.

Stupid individuals? No doubt. Grounds to indict the entire group? Not so much.

Back
Top Bottom