The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I'm still listening to production music and scouring the depths of the vinyl record world for the most beautiful and rarest vintage sounds on Earth! :)

What have I found recently? Lots. Too much to name. Lots of very obscure stuff that is hard to come by. It's fun "digging" for these records (by "digging" I mean online browsing and purchasing). It's like the world's greatest record store is the internet these days. Spending lots of money but coming up with some serious gems.

Fun stuff :cool:

I've been listening to a lot of the piano guys, which is basically a pianist and a cello player. I can't link to stuff from work but the have a channel on youtube.

My pandora is full of accapella groups from the show Sing-Off. I love good vocals.

Hah, a little story.

I was shopping in a hardware store the other day and they played this fun, easygoing song that I soon hummed along with. Then it was over and I thought, damn, what was that song!? Couldn't even use my phone's detection app or remember any lyrics because the sound was way up there. Store closed, free Sunday, browsed all local radio stations for playlists but no luck. Contacted their hotline two days later and it turns out they get their music via satellite…

But, lo and behold, in the end they could help me and sent me a list of titles that were played at the time!

Now I'm a happy cat and can listen to this fine song aptly called Siren's Call by Cats on Trees (yes, that's their name).

Heard this the other day and it's been stuck in my head. I've always liked Genesis, but I somehow never got into Abacab until now. Cool tune...

A lot of Radiohead/Thom Yorke lately. Thom is a god. Tomorrows Modern Boxes Album, obviously. But love "The Eraser" more. And really love that "Default" live recording, as it's full of power:

Some Boards of Canada vibes in here, but its not surprising, as Thom loves IDM and it's fantastic for the IDM folks, that Radiohead went this route as well. A lot of guys around here open to different styles. E.g. see Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead/Guitar) as a composer (e.g. "There will be blood" soundtrack) … and this:

Came to Radiohead late. I always thought they were only like on "Creep" public radio mainstream music makers. But I often heard people talking about Radiohead in WATMM forum (this is where Autechre etc. fans are). And that means something. One night when I couldn't sleep I stumbled over the "From the Basement - In Rainbows" broadcast and got infected :) Today I like a lot of stuff back to OK Computer. Exit Music is a personal favourite, also Paranoid Android and Karma Police..

Last edited:
Also seem to be drifting back to listening to this band "At the Driven" again a lot. I saw them in the 90's as an opening band. I had never heard them but loved them live and been a fan ever since.

They broke up and a few of the members formed a band called "The Mars Volta" that I like equally as good.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Relationship+Of+Command/1084944

I just got to hear my sister sing this in an eleventh-century church.

(That video's not her, just someone I found on youtube doing the same song, but the concert was recorded so I'm going to try and get audio online.)

Back
Top Bottom