Artists against Record Companies ...

Arhu

Two Sides
Staff Member
Administrator
Geist: Record industry faces liability over `infringement'

Now this was unexpected. The record industry in Canada (including the "big four"), was sued for copyright infringement by musicians. Not only that, they are trying to apply the same standards the industry was using to gauge the amount in dispute. Poetic justice? At the very least it's incredibly ironic, I'm curious to see how it all plays out.

Note that the figure is not 60 billion but 6 billion, there's a "rebuttal" to that article here:
[ http://www.barrysookman.com/2009/12/08/geist-inflates-pending-lists-claim-to-vilify-record-labels/ ]
(more like kids fighting, but still, fascinating case)

Also interesting, albeit unrelated, for those who want to know more about the inner workings of major labels:

My $62.47 Royalty Statement: How Major Labels Cook the Books with Digital Downloads

Last edited:
Last edited:
Weird. Seems so. Maybe the Record Companies Strike Back ? ;)

I'll ask the people I got the article from.

Edit : This is the source where I have it from:

http://unity.enya.com/index.php?showtopic=19148

From there I still had access to the article.

Interesting. This could have something to do with the way links are handled via "copy & paste".

My sister-in-law works for the TO Star. She's in management there. Used to be a good reliable paper.

Funny none of the links works for me…………
Ah, it's our feature (not a bug ;)) that replaces two "-"'s with one "—". Try replacing the "—" in the browser's url with two minuses. I also changed the url in the first post to bit.ly so the link works now.

A , now it works.. very interesting article! This is great now I can use any music or tools I want for my game and put them on a "pending" list……… ( joking of course )

If the information is accurate it is indeed a huge scandal! Any more news on this? as I have my doubts…..

Related : http://gizmodo.com/5417318/my-6247-...-labels-cook-the-books-with-digital-downloads

Quote from a German member of another forum :

"They just can't be bothered. They don't care, because they don't have to." (of the second link)

I've heard that before. I know a band that was present when the whole Tokio Hotel mania broke out in Germany and labels spit out similar bands to milk the idea of "german speaking emo kiddie rock". The band did pretty well, sold their only ever made two albums surprisingly well, had major media coverage, filled the halls etc etc - and then vanished from the public eye over night.

The ex-singer fo the band and his sound guy told me a little what happened - of the thousands of euro they earned the guys themself got effectivly nothing. So less that, when recording they debut album, they had to sleep in the studio's basement, because non of them could afford to rent a room. After their first major tour (impress ticket sales), they lived of cornflakes for many month.

When they vanished suddenly, they actually got themselves a lawyer, they went to the management and got dropped (of course).

Even the teeny magazines wrote surised artcile about the sudden end of the (unusually successful) band.

Because of this people keep telling me to never join a major label (I'm not meeting the current trends anyway, but that's another topic), and yea, it's depressing.

I think that is the same for every single industry you get into. If you don't have solid legal contracts you're going to be ripped off. Any big company will use this fact to their advantage. It sounds like those guys did not have any legally binding deal with the record company... so why in that case should they be paid? It is more or less like they gave their work away.....

Yes, it isn't anymore to be "for the benefit of the customers", it has rather become some kind of war with trying the best to exploit all others ...

... Meanwhile it has become a simple and convenient tool to accumulate riches : Charge as much as possible for the product meanwhile paying the least possible to the actual workers - Bingo - you become rich !

So ... this all has twisted into some kind of machinery to fulfill simple greed.

Let's see, individuals making no monetary gain face up to $20,000 per infringement.
If someone is infringing for commercial purposes, yhen surely that's a far worse a precedent to allow stand. If left unpunished, this behavior essentially allows competitors to use your IP for their monetary gain. And wasn't stopping such behavior exactly the point of the copyright law in the first place?

If the courts allow the labels to get off with a slap on the wrist then there's a whole new defense for regular folks. 'I was gonna pay but I haven't goten around to it yet, just like the labels themselves do'

And if the courts slap 'em down hard, then here's hoping the RIAA membership goes bankrupt trying to pay thye bills.

Back
Top Bottom