The Bard's Tale IV - Kickstarter on the 2nd of June

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
As mentioned in the interview at RPS, the Kickstarter for The Bards Tale IV will start on the 2nd of June. Here is the official press announcement:

The Bard's Tale IV coming to Kickstarter June 2nd on the 30th anniversary of the original game

Newport Beach, CA - May 18, 2015 - inXile Entertainment is proud to return to Kickstarter for their next big cRPG project, The Bard's Tale IV, launching Monday June 2nd at 6 AM PST/13:00 UTC. Return to Skara Brae for a true dungeon-crawling sequel to the original The Bard's Tale trilogy that helped define the cRPG genre!

On the 30th anniversary of the original Bard's Tale, what better time than now to go on an adventure worthy of song? The Bard's Tale IV will feature challenging maze-like dungeons with devious puzzles and riddles to explore in the first-person dungeon crawler style of the original trilogy. inXile has the full rights to use everything from the original trilogy, so the game will be rich with callbacks and old favorites such as teleporter zones and magic mouths.

Utilizing the Unreal 4 engine, The Bard's Tale IV will also represent a graphical leap forward in the genre, immersing you in a highly detailed and lush world you'll want to map to is farthest reaches. inXile plans to use photogrammetry to create in-game 3D objects from photos of architecture, taken right in Scotland.

With the Bard leading the way, the game has a strong focus on music and sound design. Inspired by and involving Gaelic musicians, the soundtrack and lyrics of The Bard's Tale IV take cues from Scottish culture, which will be used to enrich the existing setting from the original games.

Of courses, you'll need to contend with all matter of hostile beasts, monsters and brigands as you explore the world. The Bard's Tale IV will feature a dynamic phase based combat system, utilizing the complex decision making opportunities of traditional phase based combat, but with a constantly evolving enemy strategy and a pacing that keeps you on your toes.

Check The Bard's Tale IV website to follow along as we count down to the Kickstarter launch, or sign up to receive news and info directly from inXile!

· The Bard's Tale IV Website: http://bardstale.inxile-entertainment.com

· The Bard's Tale IV Sneak Peek: https://cdn.inxile-entertainment.com/bardstale/img/press/SneakPeek.jpg

About The Bard's Tale IV

The original The Bard's Tale was a surprise hit in 1985, putting Interplay on the map and launching the career of Brian Fargo. Now, 30 years later, inXile has full access to the name and contents of the original The Bard's Tale, making it possible to make a true sequel to the originals, living up to the rich dungeon crawler heritage it helped build.

About inXile Entertainment

Founded by long-time industry veteran @BrianFargo in 2002, inXile Entertainment develops interactive entertainment software for all popular game systems, personal computers and wireless devices. The most current projects under development are Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera, both financed by its fans via @Kickstarter.
More information.

And they are going to ask for $1.25 million, to which they will add the same amount themselves.

So backing this....my first big rog was bards tale. Excited about this one. I'm betting they meet their goal pretty quick.

Interested to find out what they mean with the new tech about scanning real world objects.

Not sure on this one. Will wait for more info. I remember all the hand drawn maps and riddles of Bards Tale 1, but with modern technology and "dumbed down" versions for consoles, can't imagine they'll capture whatever it was that made the original a classic.

I somehow missed playing the Bards Tale games back in the 80s, but was certainly familiar with them. Based on the interview, this sounds awesome. I love turned based games, and would be all over another Might & Magic/Grimrock type game.

I'm hoping you can make your own party like in the original games. If so its an instant back for me. I find it strange they are asking for so much though, as the game design seems simpler than that of Torment or Wasteland.

I don't think 1.25 million is so much to be honest...

The original series might be a little too far in the past to get much of a nostalgia bump. I want to find out a little more about the new game's play style before I jump on board.

I have a lot of Nostalgia for Bard's Tale, but I'm not really sure what would make it relevant as a modern game. The thing that made Bard's Tale great was that it introduced so many features that were completely new at the time. But none of those features are new any more. So other than choosing a bard song and having it play in the background while it buffs your party, I'm not really sure what would make a new game feel like Bard's Tale.

2015 will be another great year for CRPGs.

So looking forward to this, but one thing - NO MULTICLASSING PLEASE. Thank you.

I want to be a Geomancer and a Chronomancer again, so Multiclassing please! :D

As long as it is just like the first two games, and nothing like the third, I'm in, and probably in big/huge. I want an epic dungeon crawler, a dungeon with bottomless levels, puzzles, and a difficulty that will make kiddies cry.

Honestly I'd rather see another top down perspective rpg game rather than a 3D one, and also am not familiar with Bard's Tale at all. So for me it's a bit of a hard sell, and wait and see mode is my first reaction, instead of "Here - Take my money!". It will be interesting to see if they struggle to reach their goal or if it comes easy and they get as much or more than Wasteland 2.

Same here. As much as I've liked Eye of the Beholder back in the day, I'm not interested in grid based games any more.

I don't care for grid based or not (MM X and Legend of Grimrock are very good with it).
But I want 1st person party view!

I don't think 1.25 million is so much to be honest…

I don't think its necessarily so much, I just think the costs for this kind of game is less. From what I understand both Grimrock games were made with a very low budgets, and so was MMX. I don't think a dungeon crawler needs the writing of a Wasteland, for example, but maybe this game will be more story oriented than the original games.

Back
Top Bottom